Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

I have the single pick-up version just like a good old P bass. I replaced Adrians pickup with a Dp122 that has more growl and output. Adrians pickups are very clean and I just wanted to rough it up abit. Also put flat wounds on for a mellow vibe.
The fret ends are finished to a high standard and I can't fault the workmanship.
The only thing I don't like are the tuners as they feel a little cheap. Something has to give for the price.
The neck is somewhere between a jazz and a P, just feels perfect for my hands.

Hope this helps.

Edited by spyder

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1426159161' post='2715000']
I have the single pick-up version just like a good old P bass. I replaced Adrians pickup with a Dp122 that has more growl and output. Adrians pickups are very clean and I just wanted to rough it up abit. Also put flat wounds on for a mellow vibe.
The fret ends are finished to a high standard and I can't fault the workmanship.
The only thing I don't like are the tuners as they feel a little cheap. Something has to give for the price.
The neck is somewhere between a jazz and a P, just feels perfect for my hands.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks, Spyder. Is the neck quite shallow front-to-back, or does it have a bit of substance to it?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1426194598' post='2715615']
Thanks!

And when you say the tuners are on the flimsy side, would you say comparable to standard Fender tuners, or flimsier than that?
[/quote]

The bass is lighter than a Fender so the tuners must be made of thinner material to keep the neck from diving.

[quote name='Mike2tone' timestamp='1426195489' post='2715628']
Don't forget you can ask Adrian to upgrade the tuners if you do not want the standard one. He offers Hipshot for not much more.
[/quote]

I wanted to keep the price down so I took the standard bass, worked out at just over £600.

In that case, even at that price you can't go wrong. When you think you'd pay that and more for a production line Far East import, a hand made in Europe instrument by people with over 30 years experience building them, is not a bad deal. Also helps the Euro is cheap at the moment. I will order one eventually, for the time being I got a 5 week old daughter that needs my attention!

wow, some very attractive instruments there!

I wish I could try them, I love the look/specs/price of some of the Jakes in stock!

I wonder what the neck is like. I love the wide "Classic 50s" Precision style, and I'd hate a Jazz type neck... Pity the necks are not lacquered either. Hmmm...

You are a bad bunch, putting ideas in my mind, and I am indeed looking for a Precision at the moment... ;)

I don't own a Maruszczyk bass but I tried several out at the LBGS this and last year. These instruments are top notch. I've also chatted with Mr.Maruszczyk and his deputy Slawek (who did many great demo videos on their site [url="http://www.public-peace.de/"]http://www.public-peace.de/[/url] ). They are great guys!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1426327848' post='2716912']
wow, some very attractive instruments there!

I wish I could try them, I love the look/specs/price of some of the Jakes in stock!

I wonder what the neck is like. I love the wide "Classic 50s" Precision style, and I'd hate a Jazz type neck... Pity the necks are not lacquered either. Hmmm...

You are a bad bunch, putting ideas in my mind, and I am indeed looking for a Precision at the moment... ;)
[/quote]

I've had an email chat with Adrian. You can spec pretty much any neck profile you like. Didn't realise they weren't lacquered - I wonder if it's an option?

I'm really struggling with specs at the minute. I want a passive PJ that nails the P tone, but there's so many options I don't know what would suit me best.

Also, to get my target weight (3.8kg) Adrian says I'd need to go for a chambered body. Just wondering how that would affect tone.

So much to consider...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1426329079' post='2716925']
I've had an email chat with Adrian. You can spec pretty much any neck profile you like. Didn't realise they weren't lacquered - I wonder if it's an option?

I'm really struggling with specs at the minute. I want a passive PJ that nails the P tone, but there's so many options I don't know what would suit me best.

Also, to get my target weight (3.8kg) Adrian says I'd need to go for a chambered body. Just wondering how that would affect tone.

So much to consider...
[/quote]

I just sent an email... I find it hard to decide between 3 of the basses in stock (or 6 even!), as I was after a straight simple P, but I know I'd find a bridge pickup quite a useful addition. So I asked a few questions about those basses and about ordering one fresh too... hmmm, we'll see, but if I find it hard to decide between stock basses, a custom order would be a nightmare! decisions, decisions!
I asked him about lacquered necks. It's not a deal breaker, and I can always have it lacquered in the future. David Wilson did a great job on my Stingray so I could take it to him.

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1426194413' post='2715611']
My bass is the red Jake in the video clip from the previous thread.
[/quote]

What's the neck like? I like Precision necks... and yes, they vary, but they're generally wide and I like the Classic 50 ones a lot, which some consider "chunky".

Why do so many builders not lacquer their necks anymore?

I guess it's just a cost cutting exercise (that they don't always pass on to the customer) or maybe they just haven't got the skills to do it.

Call me old fashioned but I would not even consider buying any bass or guitar with an unfinished or oil/wax finish to the neck and/or body.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1426551379' post='2719341']
aha! what did you go for? what did you go for? :)
[/quote]

It's a secret. :)

I've been waiting for Fender to make something similar for years, but it shows no signs of happening.

I'm guessing it would have cost the far side of three grand if I'd gone to the Custom Shop, and I still wouldn't have been able to specify everything to the nth degree like I've been able to with Adrian.

As it stands, it's going to be hand-built with top-drawer bits, and it's going to cost less than a Lakland Skyline. Incredible.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but I'm [i][b]SO[/b][/i] excited...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1426594894' post='2719601']
It's a secret. :)

I've been waiting for Fender to make something similar for years, but it shows no signs of happening.

I'm guessing it would have cost the far side of three grand if I'd gone to the Custom Shop, and I still wouldn't have been able to specify everything to the nth degree like I've been able to with Adrian.

As it stands, it's going to be hand-built with top-drawer bits, and it's going to cost less than a Lakland Skyline. Incredible.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but I'm [i][b]SO[/b][/i] excited...
[/quote]

Obligatory New Bass Day thread of course...your other option is death by Basschat firing squad if you don't :)

Less than the coast of a Skyline is remarkable. If they're as good as their reputation online, and I've no reason to doubt they aren't, then larger manufacturers seriously need to sit up and pay attention. The smaller guys seem to be producing great products without the benefits of economy of scale.

I wish I hadn't seen their website actually, I need a p bass now :unsure: