Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1461779850' post='3037621']
Hi there, everybody! (First post here!)

Recently I've been eyeing this brand quite a bit, as I've only really heard nice things about them, and I'm quite intrigued by some of the pickups and electronics they offer for their custom basses. So, recently I dropped Adrian an email regarding a custom Jake. I, very quickly, got a reply in which it was stated that a custom Jake 4 starts at 1200€, with pickups, preamp etc. adding to the price. This is of course not by any means a massive price for a solid, EU-made bass, but it did surprise me slightly as some of the Jakes they have ready for purchase are considerably cheaper than 1200€. Of course, it makes sense that a bespoke bass would be a bit more expensive than a similarly-spec'd regular production model, due to the customer contact and added workload, but I do also recall reading about remarkably cheap custom jobs on this very forum. I'll contact Adrian again and ask if I can somehow down-spec the bass to cut the cost a little bit - perhaps he assumed I'd want something a bit fancier and just made an unusually high estimate - but I'd also like to check with you lot to see if you've gotten similar estimates for your Jake inquiries. Perhaps they have become a tad pricier in the recent years?

Anyhow, 1700 or so euros for a bass made to my specs, upgraded with the pickups and preamp I want, is not unreasonable, but if that will be the final cost I'll probably have to take a closer look at the old budget.

Grateful for any replies!
[/quote]

when I contacted him for my 'custom' Jake, I indicated the bits I wanted the price was similar to yours (a bit cheaper, but exchange rate fluctuates etc). It could have been cheaper by choosing different hardware, pickups etc...
My first Jake was only custom in that I specified neck profile/dimensions and wanted a lacquered neck. That was cheaper as I went with their standard hardware and electronics. For me, the neck accounts for a huge deal, so being able to specify that while barely increasing the cost is amazing. Anything else I can change/modify myself later on if I want to.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1461780952' post='3037639']
when I contacted him for my 'custom' Jake, I indicated the bits I wanted the price was similar to yours (a bit cheaper, but exchange rate fluctuates etc). It could have been cheaper by choosing different hardware, pickups etc...
My first Jake was only custom in that I specified neck profile/dimensions and wanted a lacquered neck. That was cheaper as I went with their standard hardware and electronics. For me, the neck accounts for a huge deal, so being able to specify that while barely increasing the cost is amazing. Anything else I can change/modify myself later on if I want to.
[/quote]

It was the 1200€ as the starting-off point, before the added electronics and so on, that surprised me a bit. I suppose all is as it should if your first Jake was essentially stock, except for the neck, and the price was similar. A little peculiar that a bass with a lacquered neck would be cheaper than standard, perhaps. I take it your second Jake was a bit more expensive then, and had non-standard pickups?

Oh, wait a minute. Do you mean he gave you the quote in £ as opposed to €? It's true the minor price difference might be because of the exchange rate, in that case.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1461786266' post='3037692']
It was the 1200€ as the starting-off point, before the added electronics and so on, that surprised me a bit. I suppose all is as it should if your first Jake was essentially stock, except for the neck, and the price was similar. A little peculiar that a bass with a lacquered neck would be cheaper than standard, perhaps. I take it your second Jake was a bit more expensive then, and had non-standard pickups?

Oh, wait a minute. Do you mean he gave you the quote in £ as opposed to €? It's true the minor price difference might be because of the exchange rate, in that case.
[/quote]

No, the quotes were always in euros, but I translated it into currency that means something to me and forgot the original numbers :lol:

My first Jake, for which I only specified the neck dimensions and it being lacquered was a bit more expensive than the standard Jakes on the website. Not much 'though. The second Jake was more expensive, and round about the quote you have been given. It also included a custom logo on the headstock (my band's).

My point was that the price can change a fair amount depending on what bridge, tuners, pickups, active/passive config etc you go for. If you approached him with a vague 'custom' idea the quote may not exactly reflect what the final design you come up with costs.
Also... it's been about a year now too, so perhaps their rates have gone up a little as well? --- scratch that, I just checked and they are still the same, 850-950 for a standard Jake (which is amazing!).

If you want, PM me and I'll fetch the email conversation to give you a better idea of what the costs were for my custom Jake: reverse P pickup at a position specified by me (closer to the bridge than normal), light black Hipshot tuners, ETS black bridge, Delano pickup, no pickguard, controls fitted from the back, extra custom logo, neck dimensions specified by me, tinted lacquer for the neck, passive electronics.

Just returned from my first gig with my custom fretless Elwood L. I went out FOH for the sound check and it sounded amazing, a really solid bottom end and clear low mids, I wish I could've played the entire gig from amongst the audience, just to listen to it some more. I'm a very happy bass player.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1462094082' post='3040139']
Some absolutely stunning basses here. For those of you that have bought one, how much is customisable? There doesn't seem to be a list of options unless I'm being stupid.

Can the nut width or fingerboard radius be changed? As an example.
[/quote]

You can specify almost anything :)

Si

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1462094082' post='3040139']
Some absolutely stunning basses here. For those of you that have bought one, how much is customisable? There doesn't seem to be a list of options unless I'm being stupid.

Can the nut width or fingerboard radius be changed? As an example.
[/quote]I went for a 33" scale with a 41mm nut (similar to my Ricky) and I could've asked for more specific things if I'd've wanted, neck depth, etc. Adrian sends you a form where you add your requirements and then send it back to him.

Edited by ezbass

I see that the Frog with the Wal-like pickups and circuit is May's bass of the month.

http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-of-the-month/1939-public-peace-proudly-presents-the-bass-of-the-month-may-2016

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1462196299' post='3040978']
I see that the Frog with the Wal-like pickups and circuit is May's bass of the month.

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-of-the-month/1939-public-peace-proudly-presents-the-bass-of-the-month-may-2016"]http://www.public-pe...-month-may-2016[/url]
[/quote]

That is a very sweet bass indeed, but stop drawing my attention to things I want to spend the housekeeping on! I do love their Headless Frogs with the Delano P/Us!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1462196299' post='3040978']

[url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-of-the-month/1939-public-peace-proudly-presents-the-bass-of-the-month-may-2016"]http://www.public-pe...-month-may-2016[/url]
[/quote]

Its a stunning instrument, but ruined by the pickup design. No need for them to resemble Wal so accurately, cheapens the whole thing for me :(

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462210243' post='3041150']

Its a stunning instrument, but ruined by the pickup design. No need for them to resemble Wal so accurately, cheapens the whole thing for me :(
[/quote]

I'm guessing that's what the customer asked for...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1462210678' post='3041154']

I'm guessing that's what the customer asked for...
[/quote]

I may have incorrectly assumed the Bassculture Bigbucker was an off the shelf pickup model, is it not? Iv also apparently incorrectly assumed this was a stock model and up for sale for the price listed!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1462215136' post='3041202']
I may have incorrectly assumed the Bassculture Bigbucker was an off the shelf pickup model, is it not? Iv also apparently incorrectly assumed this was a stock model and up for sale for the price listed!
[/quote]

Ah, no - you're right. I thought the basses of the month were generally custom-builds...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1462380440' post='3042565']
Ha. Here it is in its full sofa shot glory:

[/quote]

Stunning :)

Back of the neck shot please, need to see that flame!