Why become a member? ×

ChangesTwoBowie - Set Evolution

Great news. Keep us posted on any gigs up here. I'll def make the effort.
There are quite a few recognised tribute venues up here many being council owned venues.

Lanark Memorial Hall is close to me so that would be great.
Motherwell Concert or Theatre Halls - Both great for bands depending on expected audience most start with the smaller Theatre and move to Concert Hall next time if ticket sales go quick. Ultimate Bowie were in the Theatre last time and it was a sell out and one of the best tribute gigs i've seen. Bowie is very well liked up here so you should go down a storm.

Dave

So, the fun poll ended at midnight and the three songs that came out top were Young Americans (1st by a country mile - no surprise there), Station to Station and then a late rally for 3rd place by....Breaking Glass. We'll be doing the Serious Moonlight, Nassau and Stage versions respectively.

It just occurred to me that his thread was started two and half years ago and how quickly things have come along in that period. The thread and updates might read as some sort of shameless plug for a tribute band, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The original question will always stand - what do Bowie fans want/expect in the set?

It took a good few years to convince our singer to come out of retirement and do it all again. Once we did, it was then a heck of a job to get the right people in place. It really wasn't easy in the guitar department at all, but once we were locked in, we knew it was right. We now have an extra guitarist who also plays sax and the pair of them are absolutely brilliant. They get on so well between them and also as part of the band. The wonderful Natalie then came along and added glorious vocals in all the right places. I do feel so lucky to be part of this band. I know it's not an originals band, but I just love the music, as do we all.

Anorak alert - I'm just listening to Warsazawa thinking how cool it would be to do that one live!

Anyway, we're now getting theatre bookings for next year, which is almost unbelievable given that we've only played 10 gigs of our own. I literally could not be more excited about next year. We have a gig in January in honour of Bowie's 71st birthday and we have some really interesting ideas for that show. There is also a special gig being planned for February which I'm not allowed to talk about! It might not happen, but if it does, new trousers required! Plus more after that.

I would like to thank everyone here who has shown any sort of interest in the band. There have been some great suggestions and sincere comments which have all been taken on board. Thank you one and all. Dave - if I can get us a gig in Scotland, I will definitely let you know well in advance mate.

Plus, as a result of being a member of Basschat, I have also now learnt how to play The Jean (Gene) Genie proper like :D

Have a great weekend lovely people.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I've posted these in this thread, but in honour of the lovely Gail Ann Dorsey, I had this scratch plate made for my white & maple Stingray 4H by Tim @ [url="http://www.originalscratchplates.com"]Scratch It[/url].

See You Tube video from Gail as to how it came about.

http://youtu.be/EkVykySayyw

• Like 1

There are venues in Glasgow too. Hard Rock Cafe and Classic Grand are good sized venues. O2 ABC and few others offering good sized halls so a mini weekend tour might be the way to go.
You could start with a Newcastle or Carlisle gig on the Fri and play Scotland on the Sat and make a wee holiday out of it.

Thanks for mentioning me in your post and await the gigs.
I've been a Bowie fan since early 70's

All the very best
Dave

It's uplifting to read about the band's progress Hiram. Keep up the good work. The effort you all put in is reflected in the clips I've seen so I'll keep an eye out for C2B performances that I might attend. I mean, there's a good chance now as Derby is between Kent and the Scottish midlands... (winks at Dave).

Pass my best wishes for continued success to all concerned.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1500716888' post='3339745']
It's uplifting to read about the band's progress Hiram. Keep up the good work. The effort you all put in is reflected in the clips I've seen so I'll keep an eye out for C2B performances that I might attend. I mean, there's a good chance now as Derby is between Kent and the Scottish midlands... (winks at Dave).

Pass my best wishes for continued success to all concerned.
[/quote]

Nice one SpondonBassed. A small mini tour over a normal weekend or do it right and have a long weekend tour.
Stop off at Derby on way up here and stop off at maybe Sheffield area on way back down.
Pretty sure there are more than enough venues to fill and get the band better known across all of the UK.
London and SE needs to stop hogging all of the talent. You need to share it with us all.
Go On You Know ya Wanna.
Bet the band are all up for it.

I have sewn the seed. Let the growth begin. :lol:
Dave

• 1 year later...

As another year comes to an end, the inevitable set adjustments for next year are being discussed once again.

Looking back at page one of this thread, on one hand we've come so far since those first ten songs, yet I feel we're still barely scratching the surface of the Bowie cannon. There are so many iconic songs still to do, yet maintaining the balance between the old, the new, the expected and personal favourites is a tricky one. We've tried to address specific song requests as we go along to keep our regulars happy, but the bigger the repertoire, the harder it is to put a set together - and there's still more to do. Very much a first world problem and not a bad one to solve really. I'll never get bored of playing this stuff. I just hope the punters never get bored of listening.

Anyway, this is what the list has expanded to from those ten songs:

Absolute Beginners

Afraid

All The Young Dudes

Andy Warhol

Ashes to Ashes

Blue Jean

Boys Keep Swinging

Breaking Glass

Changes

China Girl

Cracked Actor

Dead Man Walking

Drive In Saturday

Fame

Fashion

Five Years

Golden Years

Heroes

Hurt

I'm Afraid of Americans

The Jean Genie

John, I'm Only Dancing

Jump They Say

Lazarus

Let's Dance

Life On Mars?

Little Wonder (in progress)

Look Back In Anger

Loving The Alien

The Man Who Sold The World

The Man Who Sold The World (Lulu version)

Modern Love

Moonage Daydream

New Killer Star

Oh! You Pretty Things (in progress)

Quicksand

Rebel Rebel

Sound and Vision

Space Oddity

Starman

The Stars (Are Out Tonight)

Station to Station

Stay

Suffragette City

Under Pressure

Valentine's Day (in progress)

What In The World

Wild Is The Wind

Ziggy Stardust

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Oh man where is Panic In Detroit?  My first band got me to do this after only learning bass about 6 months previous.  Its been stuck in my head ever since lol!!

Well, exactly. So many songs still to do. Panic In Detroit is on the to do list, but your guess is as good as mine as to when it comes round.

• Like 1

Fantastic set list and a few i don't recognise. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for you guys up here.

I do Jean Genie and Rebel Rebel in our Glam Rock covers band and i just love doing Trevor Bolders bass lines plus the songs are just so rewarding to play and they give you that little lift when finished.

Great stuff and long may your success continue.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Fantastic set list and a few i don't recognise. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for you guys up here.

I do Jean Genie and Rebel Rebel in our Glam Rock covers band and i just love doing Trevor Bolders bass lines plus the songs are just so rewarding to play and they give you that little lift when finished.

Great stuff and long may your success continue.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Would be great to see you guys at a gig or two. Just trying to arrange a venue up near Cromer, Norfolk for next year and we’ve already had an invite back to Witney, Oxfordshire to play Fat Lil’s, so we’re beginning to spread ourselves a bit further.

Although we should probably save it until the 20th anniversary in 2020, one idea we’ve had for next year is to play the whole of the (soon to be officially released) Glastonbury 2000 set. Just need to learn Hallo Spaceboy and we’re there!

D0FA0D2B-7D5C-4D54-BE06-2503DAD1D1D8.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The long list a couple posts up are songs already in play. Yes, Moonage is a great song to do 😀

That's quite a thunderous tone there. Loving that. What gear are you using here. Looks like Musicman bass into amp ? and barefaced cab maybe ?

Dave

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's quite a thunderous tone there. Loving that. What gear are you using here. Looks like Musicman bass into amp ? and barefaced cab maybe ?

Dave

Thank you kindly.

The signal path is Musicman Stingray Old Smoothie > Darkglass Microtubes 900 > Barefaced Big Twin Generation III & DI'd to FOH (post effect). Nothing active on my board for this song.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

That Darkglass produces a nice deep sound. Its not what i was expecting from it. Very nice.

Dave

I have to say that the Smoothie plays a big part in that deep sound you hear  in Moonage Daydream.

It is genuinely quite unlike any other Stingray I own - and I have a few!

I’m sure @Chiliwailer would agree. All the more mystifying as to why his hasn’t sold yet, especially at that price.

13 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have to say that the Smoothie plays a big part in that deep sound you hear  in Moonage Daydream.

It is genuinely quite unlike any other Stingray I own - and I have a few!

I’m sure @Chiliwailer would agree. All the more mystifying as to why his hasn’t sold yet, especially at that price.

100% Warren, I certainly do agree it’s very different to all the other Rays I’ve played. The strings going through the pole pieces rather than over them gives such a different flavour, and the different pre amp and EQ is spot on. Genuinely gutted to sell it.  

I remembered seeing your Smoothie and you sounding great on a CTB video but I couldn’t find the link, I wanted to share it with @wayne58 when he was asking me about the Smoothie. 

Im mystified too that it hasn’t sold 🤔

Edited by Chiliwailer

10 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

100% Warren, I certainly do agree it’s very different to all the other Rays I’ve played. The strings going through the pole pieces rather than over them gives such a different flavour, and the different pre amp and EQ is spot on. Genuinely gutted to sell it.  

I remembered seeing your Smoothie and you sounding great on a CTB video but I couldn’t find the link, I wanted to share it with @wayne58 when he was asking me about the Smoothie. 

Im mystified too that it hasn’t sold 🤔

Needs must of course Daniel, but it saddens me that you’ve had to keep dropping the price. Might be worth waiting until 2019 as it’s fully on silly season now.

If it helps, I’ve pasted the link to the thread you were probably looking for below. The lastest video is the Smoothie in ‘slap’ mode on Ashes to Ashes.

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Needs must of course Daniel, but it saddens me that you’ve had to keep dropping the price. Might be worth waiting until 2019 as it’s fully on silly season now.

If it helps, I’ve pasted the link to the thread you were probably looking for below. The lastest video is the Smoothie in ‘slap’ mode on Ashes to Ashes.

That sounds awesome, especially loving the tone when you slid up to the dusty end, but all the way through it sounded so sweet, and with no ‘aggression’ at all in that Ray tone. 

You might be right mate about the price of mine, I may change it back soon and sit tight. I won’t need the bulk of the cash until March now. I’ll give it a week and have a think.

Cheers pal 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I think following certain / famous setlists would be very authentic. 👍

May I suggest a few props as well? A chair, some ropes, and an enormous glass spider, for instance. 😁

The table and chair from the '96 Outside Tour are on the list as well as the giant eyeballs, the smaller projected heads and roped mannequins. I think we'll have to draw a line at the giant glass spider. I don't think that will fit in the van!

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 16.24.28.png

• 1 year later...

The band have had all but one gig cancelled for 2020 and I don't think that will go ahead.

We've decided to do something that will be called 'C2B TV'. Nothing against streaming gigs, but we wanted to do something that we are a little more in control of rather than being at the behest of bandwidth and certain technical limitations. I know, there are ways of doing it, but the decision has been made and that is that.

Given our current repertoire, what new Bowie songs do you think we should add?

(Excuse the duplicates. They are alternate versions we work from in my playlist).