Why become a member? ×

ChangesTwoBowie - Set Evolution

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1422376361' post='2671864']
Look on YT for him live at the BBC or a modern gig.
[/quote]
A lot of the arrangements we are doing are from the BBC gig in 2000 (i.e. Ashes, I'm Afraid of Americans, The Man Who Sold The World). It also helps vocally working from these recordings as he dropped the key of quite a few of songs. I spent a little while nailing the structure and subtle differences in the run downs to Rebel Rebel to be told we were doing this version which I think is terrific.

[url="http://youtu.be/7HyWXftUiWc"]http://youtu.be/7HyWXftUiWc[/url]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1422377563' post='2671885']
A lot of the arrangements we are doing are from the BBC gig in 2000 (i.e. Ashes, I'm Afraid of Americans, The Man Who Sold The World). It also helps vocally working from these recordings as he dropped the key of quite a few of songs. I spent a little while nailing the structure and subtle differences in the run downs to Rebel Rebel to be told we were doing this version which I think is terrific.

[media]http://youtu.be/7HyWXftUiWc[/media]
[/quote]

For me that pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with Bowie post "Lets Dance". The arrangements are almost as important as the songs themselves, and to loose that in order to give all the musicians something to do lessens the impact of the song IMO. Every superfluous muss twiddle in that arrangement distracts from the pure simplicity of the original riff. Nasty.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1422377823' post='2671888']
Excellent
If you ever need a dep...
[/quote]
You're the first on my list :)
[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1422377840' post='2671889']
HA!!! good luck with that one :)
[/quote]
I don't hear that much to be concerned about there....

[url="http://youtu.be/-ef_D-Et7c8"]http://youtu.be/-ef_D-Et7c8[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422379362' post='2671923']
For me that pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with Bowie post "Lets Dance". The arrangements are almost as important as the songs themselves, and to loose that in order to give all the musicians something to do lessens the impact of the song IMO. Every superfluous muss twiddle in that arrangement distracts from the pure simplicity of the original riff. Nasty.
[/quote]
I hear what you're saying, but he hasn't messed with it that much. It does give it a different feel, but I can still put most of the run variations in. There are two different bridge type sections one of which is quite laid back compared to the other one and this version only gives the opportunity to play one of them, so I went for the busier line. It's all good to my ears, but accept it may not be to yours.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1422379858' post='2671935']

You're the first on my list :)

I don't hear that much to be concerned about there....

[url="http://youtu.be/-ef_D-Et7c8"]http://youtu.be/-ef_D-Et7c8[/url]
[/quote]d

I've played quite a few on that list plus China girl and heroes Hiram - I'm waiting by the phone��
It sounds a great gig. Keep us posted when you're playing locally. I'm surprised not to have heard of more Bowie tribute bands

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1422380595' post='2671948']
I've played quite a few on that list plus China girl and heroes Hiram - I'm waiting by the phone��
It sounds a great gig. Keep us posted when you're playing locally. I'm surprised not to have heard of more Bowie tribute bands
[/quote]
The first gig could well be at The Ship in Leigh sometime in March hopefully.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else think it a bit odd that the recent 3 disk 'best of' compilation doesn't include either Suffragette City or John, I'm Only Dancing? I know we all have our faves and it's not listed as a 'greatest hits' but if I didn't have any Bowie on CD and was looking for a fairly definitive collection then this one would fail for me just by those omissions. Unless I've misread the track list, only just glanced over it I admit.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422448517' post='2672743']
Slightly off topic but does anyone else think it a bit odd that the recent 3 disk 'best of' compilation doesn't include either Suffragette City or John, I'm Only Dancing? I know we all have our faves and it's not listed as a 'greatest hits' but if I didn't have any Bowie on CD and was looking for a fairly definitive collection then this one would fail for me just by those omissions. Unless I've misread the track list, only just glanced over it I admit.
[/quote]

I would have thought even a casual listener would have to have the Ziggy album, which covers both those tracks, in addition to any compilation. I thought the compilation was great, covering some different stuff, and love the new track "Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)".

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422448517' post='2672743']
[/quote]
That's the problem with compilations. Something always gets left out. As good as the two tracks are that you have mentioned, there is a ton of stuff in there that is just as good, if not better, but that's just my opinion. That's where compilations fall down.

I love the name of it though. Typical Bowie to turn it on its head. Should be Everything Has Changed :-)

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1422450585' post='2672787']
I would have thought even a casual listener would have to have the Ziggy album, which covers both those tracks, in addition to any compilation. I thought the compilation was great, covering some different stuff, and love the new track "Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)".
[/quote]

"John I'm only dancing" isn't on Ziggy, it's only on compilation albums. Gets rather unjustly overlooked too.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1422453893' post='2672852']

"John I'm only dancing" isn't on Ziggy, it's only on compilation albums. Gets rather unjustly overlooked too.
[/quote]

It's a bonus track on many CD versions of the album, I have it on at least three versions of the album. And it's on so many other compilations that it's hardly difficult to come by.

As has been said it's all about opinions. Personally if I was trying to generate a reasonably definitive playlist for my ipod now I'd use the Nothing Has Changed 3 CD set but then bolster it by including the songs that appear on the older Singles 2-CD set which don't appear on 'Changed'.

• 1 month later...

Update....

Our first gig has now been booked for April 25th @ The Ship in Leigh-On-Sea, Essex. It's a small venue, but sold out within three days of being announced on FB.

So, six weeks to go and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm becoming obsessed by everything Bowie and I'm loving it. It's the most alive I have ever felt from a musical standpoint.

Just started work on Panic In Detroit and New Killer Star. Won't be ready for The Ship, but time well spent.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1426389338' post='2717584']
Update....

Our first gig has now been booked for April 25th @ The Ship in Leigh-On-Sea, Essex. It's a small venue, but sold out within three days of being announced on FB.

So, six weeks to go and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm becoming obsessed by everything Bowie and I'm loving it. It's the most alive I have ever felt from a musical standpoint.

Just started work on Panic In Detroit and New Killer Star. Won't be ready for The Ship, but time well spent.
[/quote]

Great stuff it sounds a great gig. Will you be posting the setlist here ? Intrigued to see what you went with.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1426447229' post='2718152']
Great stuff it sounds a great gig. Will you be posting the setlist here ? Intrigued to see what you went with.
[/quote]
Sure, what the hell. At the moment it looks like this....

The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Starman
The Jean Genie
Rebel, Rebel
All The Young Dudes
The Man Who Sold The World
Changes
Let's Dance
China Girl
Sound and Vision
Dead Man Walking
Ashes to Ashes
I'm Afraid of Americans
Stay
Rock & Roll Suicide
Ziggy Stardust
Suffragette City

Panic In Detroit and New Killer Star are being worked on at the moment.

• 1 month later...