Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Update - I got myself one!

thebrig

Just an update re my previous thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254051-gibson-thunderbird-q-as/"]http://basschat.co.u...underbird-q-as/[/url]

After reading the replies, I decided to take a punt on a 2008 Gibson Thunderbird I saw on eBay for £745.00 + £30 insured shipping, and included the original Gibson hard case.

I won it 8pm on Friday and it arrived at 12.05pm today (Tuesday), it was described as immaculate, and sure enough, it is in absolutely pristine condition.

I have just played through our set with it on a strap at home, and have to admit that my shoulder and neck are aching a bit, and I think it will take some getting used to, but I'm going to give it at least six months rehearsing and gigging with it to see if I can get accustomed to it, if I can't, I think that I would have a pretty good chance of selling it on for around what I payed for it.

Here are some pics my bird!

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422370596' post='2671752']
Just an update re my previous thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254051-gibson-thunderbird-q-as/"]http://basschat.co.u...underbird-q-as/[/url]

After reading the replies, I decided to take a punt on a 2008 Gibson Thunderbird I saw on eBay for £749.00 + £30 insured shipping, and included the original Gibson hard case.

I won it 8pm on Friday and it arrived at 12.05pm today (Tuesday), it was described as immaculate, and sure enough, it is in absolutely pristine condition.

I have just played through our set with it on a strap at home, and have to admit that my shoulder and neck are aching a bit, and I think it will take some getting used to, but I'm going to give it at least six months rehearsing and gigging with it to see if I can get accustomed to it, if I can't, I think that I would have a pretty good chance of selling it on for around what I payed for it.

Here are some pics my bird!
[/quote]

You don't mention what strap you have. Might be worth investing in a wider strap or a strap with some padding in it. That will help the shoulder and as they say no gain without pain :)

Nice buy - use it often

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1422377085' post='2671876']
A Fender P bass which I'm taking delivery of in a couple of weeks.
[/quote]Nice one! I already have three precisions which I love, and the Thunderbird is a nice addition. :)

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1422377413' post='2671882']
You don't mention what strap you have. Might be worth investing in a wider strap or a strap with some padding in it. That will help the shoulder and as they say no gain without pain :)

Nice buy - use it often
[/quote]I got myself a Comfort Strapp which does help a bit, I will use it every day at home for a week or two, and will then start using at gigs and rehearsals.

Edited by thebrig

I find the Neotech Mega strap makes all my heaviest and wonkiest basses sit well (or at least less badly) on my shoulder. This includes a Gibson Victory which must weigh in excess of 12lbs.

Cheapest link I could find in a quick Google: http://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Neotech_Mega_Bass_Guitar_Strap.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAi52mBRDkq5bX0vq1-RQSJAAq_7IGnosbpn2QQYB6DOKK64b-HqpakRltptZ9CZL_xU0nHhoC6Qjw_wcB

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1422389916' post='2672142']
One of the most gorgeous of all bass designs.

I just cannot live with Thunderbird ergonomics at all - but fabulous design and sound.
[/quote]
Same here. Loved em since I first saw Pete Way throwing his around on TOTP back in the day. No good for me but they are the best looking bass around.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1422403209' post='2672362']
I was also watching that one on the 'bay but a chronic lack of funds meant no bidding from me :-)

Congratulations on scoring a lovely bass.
[/quote]I waited until the last minute, no bids had gone in, so I got it for the starting price, well pleased! :)

Nice buy! Well worth a punt at that price too. Ive never had a problem weight-wise with the Thunderbird. Compared to a Les Paul it's positively lightweight! It could possibly be the ergonomics of the design rather than the weight? It took me a little while to find the ideal position but it was well worth the effort.

Unsure as to whether or not to take Mark up his p/ex valuation or pop mine up for sale on here for a couple of weeks and see if I get any takers...will have a ponder.

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1422450092' post='2672778']
Welcome to the club!
P
[/quote]Cheers Nancy, it was probably you who pushed me into taking the plunge more than most, it's a beauty, and I will give it a real chance, :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1423273179' post='2683121']
So it's been almost a fortnight, how you getting on with the T'bird?
[/quote]Felt strange at first, completely different to all the other basses I have, but getting used to it more and more, and absolutely loving the tone, and of course, the looks of such an iconic bass.

I will probably take it to rehearsal next week, so I should get a better idea how it sits in the mix, and how it feels on a strap for a few hours.