Why become a member? ×

Don't tell the wife....!!!!!

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1422384662' post='2672012']
I always find that honesty is the best policy when dealing with my hubby ;)

Although he also has an expensive hobby in photography.

We have a deal, we pay our share for our bills and outgoings and if we have anything left then we are free to do what we want with it :D
[/quote]

This!

We both put an equal percentage into the household costs and what's left is up to us how we spend - holidays, basses, hair, shoes, handbags, whatever.

We've yet to have a disagreement about money let alone argument.

What worked for me was to cunningly start a band with my partner, which means any extravagant & unnecessary bass & gear purchase can easily be spun as being essential for the furtherance of our mutual musical ambitions.

In the unlikely event of this tactic failing (which hasn't happened yet) my fallback position will be to point out the number of sound modules, wind synthesizers, random incomprehensible percussion instruments, vocal processors, microphones, stands, megaphones, and other unidentified items of musical esoterica she has accumulated, and which is largely occupied by dust-collecting. And the shoes. Many, many shoes.

The staggering success of this tactic has contributed to my currently owning some 30 functioning basses & guitars, and probably about 10 "ongoing" (more like abandoned) projects, as well as 4 bass amps, 3 guitar amps, recording gear, and god-knows-how-many effects units

Someone, somewhere along the line, might have made a mistake.

Jon.

If I want a new bass I first fake my own death in a bizarrely improbable yachting accident while in fact absconding to a predetermined desert island hideaway.

There I spend several months of living off the land before I return to civilization with a whole new identity...and a new bass.

Works every time.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1422407711' post='2672397']
If I want a new bass I first fake my own death in a bizarrely improbable yachting accident while in fact absconding to a predetermined desert island hideaway.

There I spend several months of living off the land before I return to civilization with a whole new identity...and a new bass.

Works every time.
[/quote]

You are Reginald I. Perrin, and I claim my £5..! :rolleyes:

I'm very lucky, my wife has bought all my basses and guitars as birthday or xmas gifts for me. Oooohh yeah and she just bought me a Tuba about 2 weeks ago.
Always have a partner who is a musician, works a treat in my case, married 30 years this year. :D :D

I never have a problem. My girlfriend says it's your hobby, enjoy it. She bought me a Gibson Les Paul bass for my birthday. I realise I'm in the minority and am very lucky but she comes from a family that are very musical. Her brothers are both virtuosos on the guitar and one brothers wife is the exact opposite. She scorns his expensive hobby and thinks it's a waste of time. It's a shame as this boy can get a sound out of anything with strings. I think that's why my girlfriend is so keen for me to enjoy my music, because she gets so annoyed to see her brother getting such a hard time.
She never bothers when I just have to have another guitar :)

[size=4]Mrs Skol is generally very accepting of my gear acquisition, which to be honest is nowhere near as acute as some of you guys who like to acquire the same stock levels as a modest-sized retailer.[/size]

[size=4]Her only stipulations are that:[/size]
[list]
[*][size=4]She'll allowed to roll her eyes and sigh disdainfully[/size]
[*]I'm not allowed to keep excitedly talking about whatever I've just bought/ordered
[*]She can buy things for herself with impunity
[/list]

Works for us :)

My partner and I do what a couple of others here do, put a percentage of our incomes into a joint account for paying bills etc and the rest we can do whatever the heck we want with. I like instruments, he likes computers and tech, both can get expensive. My biggest issue is space, I have no room for new gear but don't want to get rid of any of my old stuff. I love it all!

I'm the only person who earns in my household. I always pay the mortgage and all of the bills, etc - we also have a cleaner because my wife is out most days with her mum. As a result, if I've got money left over I'll buy any equipment I want and despite getting an earful every so often, I just carry on all the same. Works well for me! :)

But who knows in what way the wife is deceiving you?

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/2398340057_2470917cf1_zps57056e16.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/2398340057_2470917cf1_zps57056e16.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

No probs at all here - I can buy whatever I want (within reason). Often if I'm looking at stuff for sale she'll say "are you going to buy it?" and has even helped me plan finances. I am very lucky!

For those less fortunate the excellent little book "Living with GAS" has many tips others have used :-)

Edited by inthedoghouse

I find having a separate 'slush fund' for bass purposes essential - to avoid joint account inflicted misery... and asking forgiveness rather than permission :ph34r:

This is not 100% foolproof and can result in the odd "What is THAT?" type discussion... but on the whole it works better than the "I was thinking of buying a new bass" type approach

If you buy well and sell even better, you may even make a small profit on owning a bass or two :) You can of course earn money with your bass too :)

So you could argue that they are an investment... At worst, a bass will rarely depreciate more than, say, a car. Also they are not perishable like so many other luxuries.

When times are hard, you can just sell the bass and free up some cash and in the meantime enjoy owning and playing it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422399386' post='2672317']
Honesty all the way. Half the time I float the idea of buying a bass then swither, and my wife says "if you like it you should get it" :)
[/quote]
The Noisy Woman is exactly the same. "Oh, just get it, life's too short...". That's why she's a keeper :-)

Well, that and the fact that - as she likes to point out - I'm two vertebrae short of total self-sufficiency....

Edited by Skinnyman

As long as there's money in our joint account for holidays, general outings and enough to cover bills, we both spend our remaining income on what we want to.

I have noticed however, that showing a complete disinterest in ANYTHING other than bass goodies when she starts asking what i'd like for birthdays, christmas, wedding anniversaries etc has resulted in lots of bass goodies coming my way at those times :-)

Edited by skej21