Why become a member? ×

Don't tell the wife....!!!!!

chrisanthony1211

I'm obviously not advocating telling lies in any way shape or form...........however.........what tricks of the trade do fellow basschatters use when convincing the fairer sex on the merit your new purchase????
Or that everytime you buy and sell, your you're always making a profit, or that the last cab/combo/ bass is (honestly) the last one!!!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

I don't know, however, I used to take part in a sport which on a seasonal basis was unbelievably expensive. I remember sitting next to the wife of another participant who said to me "I cannot believe how cheap this sport is a day. At £xx per day it is very good value" The price she quoted me was approx 10% of the real cost. Her husband blatantly misled her and obviously hoped his mates would support him!

I have a number of bass cases and gig bags stationed at various locations throughout the house... some may have basses in, and some may not... who knows?? The current mrs discreet has given up trying to keep track of it all, so as long as any new acquisitions arrive during the day when everyone's out of the house, then it's golden...

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1422386518' post='2672050']
...a fair few of us have the less successful ones written on our divorce proceedings.
[/quote]

That's nothing, I got rid of my (ex-) wife because I didn't like the way she made coffee.

Turns out it was grounds for divorce. :D
I know, I know, I'm going...

Edited by discreet

I have a stash of super cheap basses in the workshop cupboard. Every time I want something nice I make a big show of selling a cheapo one before buying something sw***y. I just neglect to mention the price difference and instead harp on about how "I'll never understand why people pay so much for the roadworn look" if she questions how I swapped a dog eared old bass without a case for a pristine one in a posh custom fit case.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1422384662' post='2672012']
I am the fairer sex :P

I always find that honesty is the best policy when dealing with my hubby ;)

Although he also has an expensive hobby in photography.

We have a deal, we pay our share for our bills and outgoings and if we have anything left then we are free to do what we want with it :D
[/quote]

Damn......forgot that there may be ladies present....anyway..

I tend to have a plan of action which goes something like this
Stage one, lay the seed...this usually takes the form of me watching a bass (or amp) on eBay, she stumbles across it at some point and asks me why I'm watching yet another bass, and I reply "no real reason, it's just such a good deal" ....the seed is now planted

Stage two, eBay comes to the fore yet again as more of the same musical item are on my watch list, whilst looking through I shall occasionally gasp and shake my head, she then falls straight into the trap and asks what I'm looking at and I start talking about what great value this (or that) is...

Stage three, the review stage, I start leaving my iPad on review pages for said item, she yet again picks up Ipad and reads the (specially selected) reviews and I hear the occasional comment like "that red one looks nice".....the trap is now set...

Stage four, eBay yet again comes to the rescue as I start to ask sellers questions about said musical item, and ask what they may accept...if I don't get a rise I can then carefully move to stage five (otherwise known as DEFCON 5)

Stage 5......"I bet I can make money on that one in six months time" ....she takes the bate.....hook, line and sinker.........it works everytime, but does take about six months.........
I'm very envious of you out there with the you buy your handbags and I'll buy a bass deals going on........I'm married to a sodding accountant!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

I don't have many or need many and they cost less than the Swarovski collection did and does, so I'm keeping that one fact ready should I ever need it

Right now I have a precision, a stingray copy and an acoustic bass so it's pretty much all bases covered

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1422386928' post='2672066']
I buy so much gear my missus forgets what I've bought and how much it cost,..................
[/quote]

Same strategy used here, I believe it is called exposure therapy :) What is this 'one in, one out' phrase about, I have heard it used by some other bass players.

Edited by 3below