Why become a member? ×

The everlasting bass drive quest...

BassAgent

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Right, I really can't see the wood for the trees anymore...[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I used to own a SansAmp, which I thought sounded really good, but I sold it for a couple of reasons but mainly 'cause I thought everything sounded the same through it.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]But now, with my new band, I'd love to have a good drive pedal. The problem is: there are so many choices. I've checked out a lot of videos on YouTube with quite some pedals (a.o. SolidGold Beta, Aguilar Agro, Ibanez TS9B, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes, Muff, Rat, MXR M89, Darkglass B3K and Boss ODB3) but practically everything sounded fizzy, not clear enough or just plain awful Others sounded like I heard two signals (clean and drive).[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The sound I'm looking for is a combination of the SansAmp sound and this:[/font][/color]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVia-n2i_o"]https://www.youtube....h?v=ZdVia-n2i_o[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQbJzTcwiA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=DSQbJzTcwiA[/url]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]But these are both overdriven amps...[/font][/color]

You need to try some pedals out. Youtube videos are the worst way of trying to find something. Aim second hand and try a few, you will easily sell them on if they are not for you, and that way you try them with YOUR bass and YOUR equipment with YOUR technique, all of which radically change how a drive pedal works.

if you're worried about drive pedals having to much treble, then you definitely want to look at one that has treble / eq options on it, or look at using it with use of an eq pedal / settings on your amp to control the treble. remember with youtube videos it's all down to the quality of what they were recorded with and what you're listening to them through. you can get a rough idea but you'll never get a proper picture unless it's done by the actual pedal manufacturer or a decent music company. At that point you have to remember they're probably running through much nicer gear than you have.

I got Kevs Darkglass VMT Deluxe and it is EPIC!!!!! and the inbuilt EQ makes it amazing for dialing in/out certain frequencies. I used it playing Electric guitar on the weekend and the FOH asked me to cut my low mids... so i did :) what a great sound

Edited by The Badderer

I'd steer you towards a VT Bass, VMT / VMT Deluxe, or Bearfoot Blueberry if overdriven amp tones are what you seek.

I don't suppose I could tempt you with a fuzz though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8gR4v61UTY

Edited by dannybuoy

COG Knightfall 66; for that overdriven valvey amp sound, it's all you'd ever need!

It's pretty difficult to get a convincing DFA1979 sound without having that Peavey/Acoustic amp combo, tbh. Closest I've got is running my Big Muff clone (Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian) through my RAT clone (COG TK-421-X) with a bit of subtle, high rate chorus!

I seem to be one of the very few on here that thinks the Darkglass Vintage sounds like total s**t...I've tried two now (as I was convinced there must have been something wrong with the first) and it just sounds like a blanket over a cab with blown, farty speakers to me! That was with the "Era" control on full as well, the farts just got more disgusting the further back that went!...

i've never played / used the standard one, but the Deluxe one is totally great because of the EQ. It took me a long time to realise how important the signal going into a pedal or the ability to EQ a pedal can make such a big difference to a pedal sounding arse and sounding great. It took me ages to figure out why my Bass Big Muff sounded rubbish and it was because i was sending a screaming hot Warwick $$ signal at it. Put a passive J signal into it and wow....

Edited by The Badderer

I use a tube screamer type pedal with the gain set very low, and blended about 50% with clean. This goes into a limiter, which goes into a behringer BDI21. It's a bit much if you just want one nice overdrive sound, but I've been doing this for years and it's the sound that works for me. I can get a totally clean signal or a nice dirty signal with loads of bite, just by playing harder.

Can't listen to your clips at the minute, but from your description try one of the filter & blend pedals. Ashdown J-lo Hyperdrive, EBS Sheehan drive or the Brimstone Audio crossover pedal. No fizz there, unless you want it!

Think this thread sums up the issue, every has a different opinion and taste on this so it is very difficult to give advice for you!

You need to get out and try as many as you can. If I were recommending, VT Bass DI and B7K would be my recommendations to you, but that is what I like :)

I've been using an old Zoom 506II for years, I've never managed to get the subtle overdrive effect I get from it from another pedal, adds thick sustain without being fuzzy, I bumped into another bass player and he was using one and he said exactly the same thing, you'll have to buy one second hand, there's some on ebay

I'll chip in, but has been said before it's a very personal thing - pedals in general but overdrive / low gain in particular!

I've always liked tubescreamer-based pedals. Originally used an early series fulltone bassdrive, now use an Xotic BB bass preamp. as far as I'm concerned, a blend is totally not needed on low gain pedals, but a low and high EQ (or 3 band, even) is very useful (as opposed to just a tone knob)...

Even for me though, what I likes depends on if I'm using a p bass or a stingray, and if I'm using my little combo or bigger valve amp and 4x12... so try as many as you can :)

I've just put together an Fulltone OCD clone kit ([url="http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280_281&products_id=2457&zenid=ckjtlol5drfpjep6agf24ckt46"]here[/url]) and I'm impressed with it. It cleans up very nicely using the volume control (or the series/split/resistor 3-way switch I put in) on my SUB Ray4 and adds a very controlled layer of grit, all the way down to Bottom E. For £11.83 (I had a box, sockets, LED etc from a previous pedal) it's well worth it.

I'll take it to the rehearsal tomorrow to see what it's like in the band.

For that sort of tone I found the B3K was the one for me. Tried an SFT just around the time when everyone discovered that the video demo with 'that sound' needed a lot of impractical compromises. For me it was pretty woolly. The Agro was nice but not that tubey. Might be worth having a look at a GK Diesel Dawg as well if you come across one but yeah, B3K.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1422530370' post='2673685']
I must say, I absolutely hated the Ashdown J-Lo and EBS Billy Sheehan pedals. Each to their own!
[/quote]

Clearly not a Pearce fan haha! May want to skip the new Suncoast bass preamp then ;)

I have a love hate relation ship with both.

That said My J-Lo is dying after 200+ odd gigs. Wish I had a chance to borrow an EBS Sheehan for longer so I could use my J-Lo together with it. I'm nit a fan of how it just distortions one range. I want more drive!

Best Drive tones on bass I've had have just been through a Marshall JCM haha!