Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced Retro six10 (first pics)

joeghee

[quote name='joeghee' timestamp='1422442221' post='2672606']
[i]But we can't please everyone with how we do handles [/i]
[/quote]

Ha ha, I expect Alex had a wry grin on his face as he wrote that :)

Cab looks lovely. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a light cab with less than ideal handles than vice versa (when my 69er arrived the carriage box was so light I was utterly convinced that Alex had forgotten to put the cab in it).

Last weekend, I had some rehearsals and a gig in a medium sized venue (capacity of approx. 500).

The problem is that I did not really have a Benchmark because I sold my Aguilar GS410 + GS210 more than 2 years ago... After that I used a Barefaced Super12T + Compact (gen 2) for about 2 years. Then I bought a full tube head that could not take the 2.66 ohm load of that combination. This is what made me buy the new Retro six10. But I sold my previous Barefaced rig more than 3 months ago and I was borrowing a cheap (and terrible sounding) Hartke 410 since then.... So I have to compare from memory. And to make that even less objective did I have to play with a different amp because mine had a blown end tube :(. Luckily, I could borrow a friends Tonehammer 500 (which Is not bad at all) for the weekend. Still not the depth, air, power or mojo of a real 200W tube amp, but a breeze to carry :D ....

Soundwize, while rehearsing, I noticed a strong low mid hump in the spectrum of the six10. I had to cut the mids quite a bit to make it work in our rehearsal room. This might also have to do with the sound of the tonehammer 500 which is not low-mid shy.
I was definitely not immediately blown away by the six10. It was loud but it sounded a bit uncontrolled to my ears. Some notes peaked a lot (around the A on the E string) ant this occurred with different basses. It did not have the low-end or the punch that I remembered from the Aguilar 610 rig... I was actually doubting If I had made the right choice by ordering a cab that nobody ever heard before...

I also think It had to do with the placement of the speaker cab in the rehearsing room because the hump was a lot less audible the next day at the venue. It also could be that by than the speakers started to break in properly...

Because then I had the gig..... WOW! The cab came to life! The stage was about 12 meters wide and 5 meters deep. I was standing right in front of my speaker and man! It was great :D
Loud, articulate, punchy, lots of low-end but not to much (like the Aguilar rig had with full PA Support) and great with drive pedals. I got lots of compliments about the bass sound from band members and the sound engineer! No more exaggerated mid hump and I actually ended up leaving the mids flat on the Tonehammer.

Now I am just curious how the Six10 is going to perform with my Mywatt 200 all-tube head. I will know by Friday cause I should have the amp back by than... I might have to move the speaker around our rehearsal room a bit just to get the best sound out of it... We'll see (and listen). I will keep you informed!

Cheers! Arn

Edited by joeghee

• 1 month later...

[quote name='joeghee' timestamp='1422403447' post='2672366']
Hi There,

Yesterday I finally got my new Barefaced six10 delivered. I Think it looks stunning!!! Here are the first pictures. More comments on sound quality follow after the weekend. By than, I've had the virgin rehearsal end virgin gig with it.... :D

The tolex looks and feels super nice and is very well glued. I do think that the side handles are mounted upside down. When mounted like this, there is not enough space for the wrist if it's carried by two people....

In the pictures you can see the "hybrid resonator" which basically seems like a bass port in the bottom of the cab... I am very curious about the sound!!!

Cheers from the Netherlands! Arn
[/quote]

looks great, nice handles! :)