Why become a member? ×

Part 3 New, Critique An Ad

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422553092' post='2674053']
Good argument. However, I think you can priorities all you want. I have seen it way too often. When there's a conflict every band does not always have a substitute bass player waiting in the wings and one the bands has to cancel or decline a gig. And that means somebody gets paid and others don't. I don't want to be involved in that sort of thing.

Blue
[/quote]

The money is less important than the gig but yes, I want to be paid, but I'd put a good band before
chasing the $. Any band can get gigs and travel for them and that is their choice, I just want a very good band
that I can be proud to promote. The better the players, the better the gig and I have no problem going for fees
that the band deserves... I have more of a problem if the band isn't good enough to justify those fees,

With any one any good, they'll be in demand at some point, and despite people saying first come, first served,
nobody is stupid enough to try and hold them to it, if a blinding alternative, prestigous gig presents itself.
Of course, they'll go..as would I, so I don't pretend otherwise.
My latest project will have 2 or 3 guys out on 'tour' this year... and I have to make my project attractive enough
for them to want to do as well... but I know the project will lose out to their other commitments IF they clash.
They may or may not so it is worth the effort to try.
Lets see if I can pull it off and then I'll let you know whether I think it is worth it. :lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422555708' post='2674096']
Any band can get gigs and travel for them and that is their choice
[/quote]

I think this came up earlier, any band can't get gigs.

Someone in the band has to know how to sell their band, get and book gigs. I know of several really good bar bands that for whatever reason can't promote and get gigs and there are marginal bands that can promote and gig consistently.

IMHO it can be said like this; [i]"being good alone does not guarantee gigs" [/i]

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422557773' post='2674132']

Someone in the band has to know how to sell their band, get and book gigs. I know of several really good bar bands that for whatever reason can't promote and get gigs and there are marginal bands that can promote and gig consistently.

IMHO it can be said like this; [i]"being good alone does not guarantee gigs" [/i]

Blue
[/quote]
That is certainly true both sides of the pond.

One of the least impressive guitar players I have ever played with has made a pretty decent living at times as a pro musician and still makes good money from playing to this day! He may be a pretty mediocre player, but he is very good with the business side of things and would make a hell of a booking agent, etc. Certainly the band I played in with him made very decent money the time I was with them…

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422557773' post='2674132']

Blue
[/quote]

It must be different here... as I honestly believe any band can get gigs. Of course, they may be full of it, but they can blag dates
and they can be truly awful..and I have heard them, but if the pub is rammed and the LL is tone-deaf, they'll get rebooked.
And if I was the LL, and I hated a band that packed out the pub...however, I'd be upstairs with the headphones on.

So, even if we are kind of saying the right thing, any band can get gigs here. And if a band is good enough, venues and pubs will hear
of it and pursue them.

Terrible bands can get plenty of gigs - if they are good at blagging them! If they can consistently pull a crowd then they must have something going for them - even if the likes of you and I don't rate them!

There are plenty of good bands who do not work as often as they should do because they are badly organised.

Here is a another want ad. This band originally posted the ad on 1/19 and re-posted on 1//27. Very vague, Why?

What are your thoughts;

[i]A bass player is wanted for an established band that plays in the Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin area. Some styles we cover include rock, pop. Fun and active band seeks someone who is reliable, and no drugs or drunks please. Good chemistry, enjoyable, fun. For more information, please email us![/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm not keen on ads at the best of times as I tend to network without them...but this is merely a taster and I 'm not sure they are doing themselves any favours with the minimalist approach. Of course, you'd try and research more but I think less 'desperate' players
would give this a miss from the start.
So..you'd ask, what is the point of this advert..

Part 3

This one looks good for the right guy.

[i]LUKYN SKYWYRD looking for bass player in the style of Leon Wilkeson. Covering Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker, Blackfoot, Allman Brothers, and other Southern rock bands.

Band has been established for 24 years and has MANY great gigs coming up for the summer. Rehearsing in the Hartland area and covering the Southern part of the state, occasionally venturing a bit farther.

Full PA and truck, not a startup. Looking for a solid bass player with no hangups, but must be crazy enough to play with us!

COME JUMP ON THE SKYWYRD TRAIN!!

www.NorthernBredSouthernRock.com
www.facebook.com/lukynskywyrd[/i]

[i]Blue[/i]

Edited by blue

You'd know what all this means better than any of us...
but the gigs they showcase can look ok...
The website is clumsy and not very pro, IMO,
and neither is the recording but then they
seem to have a good profile ..?
I think you'd take it seriously if they paid you
well enough but is it me...??
I can't see a gig list which would be the most important
thing you'd put on a website..???
I can see thery have an up coming gig on a splash page
but not a list of gigs..??

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422934675' post='2678595']
I don't like making assumptions and I don't like bringing up a touchy subject, but here goes;

These guys don't look like they want a "brother" in the band.

Blue
[/quote]

You know way more about what happens in the USA than me and you may have some insight which allows you to say such a thing with a degree of certainty, but over here in bad-teeth-cup-o'-tea-land I'm currently prising my eyebrow off the ceiling.

I take it you don't tolerate any elephants in your rooms.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422934675' post='2678595']
I don't like making assumptions and I don't like bringing up a touchy subject, but here goes;

These guys don't look like they want a "brother" in the band.

Blue
[/quote]

You're being too sensitive. [i]Lots [/i]of bands accept Hofner players these days. Get modern.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422957754' post='2678727']
You'd know what all this means better than any of us...
but the gigs they showcase can look ok...
The website is clumsy and not very pro, IMO,
and neither is the recording but then they
seem to have a good profile ..?
I think you'd take it seriously if they paid you
well enough but is it me...??
I can't see a gig list which would be the most important
thing you'd put on a website..???
I can see thery have an up coming gig on a splash page
but not a list of gigs..??
[/quote]

I agree with you about the web-site. There is no pro photography and the recording is marginal. I also looked at some videos and saw at least one line up change for lead guitar. And yes, there was nothing on gigs which concerns me for a band that's been around this long.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422960007' post='2678762']
You're being too sensitive. [i]Lots [/i]of bands accept Hofner players these days. Get modern.
[/quote]

I can always play one of my other basses, Fenders, Gibsons or my G&L. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422958082' post='2678733']
You know way more about what happens in the USA than me and you may have some insight which allows you to say such a thing with a degree of certainty, but over here in bad-teeth-cup-o'-tea-land I'm currently prising my eyebrow off the ceiling.

I take it you don't tolerate any elephants in your rooms.
[/quote]

Not sure why I made that comment, the band pic looks so south of the Mason Dixon Line, maybe that was it. :D

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422967266' post='2678898']
I agree with you about the web-site. There is no pro photography and the recording is marginal. I also looked at some videos and saw at least one line up change for lead guitar. And yes, there was nothing on gigs which concerns me for a band that's been around this long.

Blue
[/quote]

If I had to summise, I would say the band would equate to a typical pub band here.
Their website has loads and loads of ad links though, which might add revenue
but I wouldn't call that band particuarly 'pro' in any sense.
But if it suits someones criteria to apply, then all well and good.