Why become a member? ×

Part 3 New, Critique An Ad

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]Haven't submitted an ad to critique in a while.[/font]

[font=Arial]This is an established working band with a book of business. IMO a great opportunity for someone that [b]wants to work[/b] and put an extra couple a hundred dollars in their wallet at the end of the week. Not an opportunity for those that have to play a specific genre or where a band has to have a certain look and are happy to keep their talent in the bedroom until an appropriate fit comes along. [/font]

[font=Arial]What do you think?[/font]

[font=Arial]BTW, Nice looking web-site[/font][/size] and the front lady is not bad on the eyes.

[i]My name is Jackie, from www.jackiebrownandtheboys.com
My band is currently working with a few, very awesome, part-time lead players, but we r always on the look out for a permanent lead performer. Looking for more hard working(but not too serious), high quality professionals, that are also looking to make some good money and better times. We are established 9yrs. and counting & are promoting our original EP this summer. We have several jobs lined up for the new year and are hoping to find a dependable,low drama, positive addition to the group. Covering Variety Rock Music.
February Audition dates TBA. All auditions by appointment only[/i].

[size=4][font=Arial]* Not sure how it works in the UK, but over here you can have bands that are very good musically, but can never seem to grasp marketing and get work. And we can have marginal bands that get the whole marketing thing and turn a profit with consistent bookings.[/font][/size]

Blue

Edited by blue

Its a bit vague. On that description alone I have no idea what kind of thing they really do, and I'm not entirely sure what they mean by lead performer. Is that a lead guitarist or a lead singer?

That said, if I was a serious player and I saw that ad it wouldn't put me off. But I would expect to find out a lot more about them after the initial contact.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422451498' post='2672803']

[size=4][font=Arial]* Not sure how it works in the UK, but over here you can have bands that are very good musically, but can never seem to grasp marketing and get work. And we can have marginal bands that get the whole marketing thing and turn a profit with consistent bookings.[/font][/size]

Blue
[/quote]

Oh it's the same here too. I know some fantastic bands who just can't promote themselves and vice-versa. The really good ones who make it tend to have a savvy member or manager.

I also know one band that really should have made it big and had it all going for them but they've signed not one, but two awful sell your soul to the devil restraining contracts. Wouldn't be so bad if one of them wasn't a lawyer....

Rock n roll. You get a sniff of the barmaid's apron and common sense goes out the window.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1422458682' post='2672947']
Its a bit vague. On that description alone I have no idea what kind of thing they really do, and I'm not entirely sure what they mean by lead performer. Is that a lead guitarist or a lead singer?

That said, if I was a serious player and I saw that ad it wouldn't put me off. But I would expect to find out a lot more about them after the initial contact.
[/quote]

Unlike many ads, they included their web-site which says just about everything about who they are.

Blue

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1422458682' post='2672947']
[/quote]

Good idea, everyone should do their homework and research before you make a decision on a band. Ok, then what are some of the things you would want to find out? Here's one of the questions I think any serious musician should ask;

[i]"Are you looking for more than a lead guitarist?"[/i]

If they are, it could be a band that's falling apart and someone is desperately trying to put it back together. Does that make sense?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1422462290' post='2673001']
Rock n roll. You get a sniff of the barmaid's apron and common sense goes out the window.
[/quote]

I have first hand experience with that.

Edited by blue

TBH I'm a little bit surprised that you follow these adverts so closely - I don't think that I've looked at one for 30 years!

I tend to find out about bands / new gigs through the grapevine and judge them on their reputation...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422465383' post='2673058']
I have first hand experience with that.It almost ruined me See pics.

Blue
[/quote]

I love how you're not looking at her, like a moth trying to avoid being mesmerised by a bright light :lol:

Having an attractive singer is such a bonus for a band. You've won half the battle before you play a note. It shouldn't be like that, but it is...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1422465737' post='2673067']
TBH I'm a little bit surprised that you follow these adverts so closely - I don't think that I've looked at one for 30 years!

I tend to find out about bands / new gigs through the grapevine and judge them on their reputation...
[/quote]

I know what you mean Pete. I'm not looking and my band is a perfect fit for me. However, I always like to know whats going on and who's looking.And sometimes I find opportunities that some of my friends/peers might be interested in. I'm not native to Milwaukee, my history is in New Jersey. I don't have access to the Milwaukee inner circle or the grapevine.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1422465847' post='2673069']
I love how you're not looking at her, like a moth trying to avoid being mesmerised by a bright light :lol:

Having an attractive singer is such a bonus for a band. You've won half the battle before you play a note. It shouldn't be like that, but it is...
[/quote]

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. However, I would say you win more with an attractive female front at the bar/pub band level.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422466535' post='2673085']

I know what you mean Pete. I'm not looking and my band is a perfect fit for me. However, I always like to know whats going on and who's looking. I'm not native to Milwaukee, my history is in New Jersey. I don't have access to the Milwaukee inner circle or the grapevine.

Blue
[/quote]
That’s kinda the problem of playing with only one band! If you are looking for other opportunities you need to play with more people, get your name out there and build up a bit of a reputation.

Then your name is already in the frame when decent gigs do come up and someone is looking for a bass player…

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1422475833' post='2673237']
That’s kinda the problem of playing with only one band! If you are looking for other opportunities you need to play with more people, get your name out there and build up a bit of a reputation.

Then your name is already in the frame when decent gigs do come up and someone is looking for a bass player…
[/quote]

Yeah I think that would make sense for some.

Me, I'm not looking for any opportunities, I lucked out 3.5 years ago and found the perfect band for me.Those that have followed my threads,Know it's no secret that I have always been and will always be a [i]"1 band, the right band" [/i]kind of guy. Also it could be a generational thing. At times I even think gigging is a generational thing.

I have yet to get an answer to, how does anyone play in more than one band without gig conflicts as in most gigs are on Friday and Saturday night. I would say 90% of the time when I ask these guys how they manage to be in , lets say 4 bands. The story is usually only one of the bands is an actual money making gigging band the rest are non-gigging bands.

Blue

Edited by blue

I think one of the points I was trying to demonstrate with the ad was that opportunities with truly established bands with something to offer ($$$$) are really rare. I am not sure, but I'm thinking it's not much different in the UK. Am I right?

Edited by blue

It's hard to say. There are established bands that will go out for decent money but might not gig every weekend. At a bar level, there are only so many times a band can play the decent local venues in any one year, so to work regularly a band has to travel greater distances (still at pub money) or people play in multiple bands!

Personally I play local gigs (and the odd motorcycle rally or other bigger event) with a rock band, but also play bigger (but fewer) gigs all over the country with another band appealing to a niche market. This also leaves me free to play the occasional dep and to play with other bands when a worthwhile opportunity arises.

Funnily enough I have some friends in Texas who have same approach, only much more so. All really good players and more like hired guns, they could be touring with a band or solo artist one week and when they get back, playing a couple of bars with two different bands the following weekend.

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1422494060' post='2673485']
It's hard to say. There are established bands that will go out for decent money but might not gig every weekend. At a bar level, there are only so many times a band can play the decent local venues in any one year, so to work regularly a band has to travel greater distances (still at pub money) or people play in multiple bands!

Personally I play local gigs (and the odd motorcycle rally or other bigger event) with a rock band, but also play bigger (but fewer) gigs all over the country with another band appealing to a niche market. This also leaves me free to play the occasional dep and to play with other bands when a worthwhile opportunity arises.

Funnily enough I have some friends in Texas who have same approach, only much more so. All really good players and more like hired guns, they could be touring with a band or solo artist one week and when they get back, playing a couple of bars with two different bands the following weekend.
[/quote]

Yeah the hired gun thing is cool and most of the top notch players in Milwaukee do just that. Unfortunately it's a clicky bunch and I am not on the in. I have reached out to those guys, most are around my age and been rejected. *Screw em, I know I gig more than most of them any way.

My band plays around a dozen clubs in rotation, We are always around 3-4 months before we return to any given club. And in the summer with WI being huge for festivals and fairs we get a taste of the bigger gigs with better hours. All averages out to between 65-70 shows a year.

Me, personally I love triple header weekends, Friday & Saturday night and Sunday afternoons. For hustlers like me that meant last weekend I was able to cover my monthly condo fee, food and utility bills.

Blue

* Just curious, is it obvious that I take this business a little too seriously and have a bit of an attitude?

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422495568' post='2673490']
* Just curious, is it obvious that I take this business a little too seriously and have a bit of an attitude?
[/quote]

TBH I think you do at times. But it is your love and passion in life so can be understood.

Haven't got a problem with the ad in anyway and the website makes it clear it is her band.
All good.

The only think I would have to make sense of is the standard of gigs and band and that needs your local knowledge.
I think a pretty face and nice stage personality immediately gets the guys on side..less so the women, but not a problem
apart from a girl almost always needs a guy lead vocal in a cover band, IME.

The main issue is how good are they pitching for and how good can they expect..??
Anyone any good round here almost always has other bands or priorities so whilst
you can get a great lead singer, they are going to be busy elsewhere and probably have
a touring and/or writing commitment which means they put those gigs first.
If you don't, can't, wont aim for those, then you are on the next rung down along with everything
else that comes with it.

Just found a video... that would put her in the local pub circuit round here and as a novelty girl lead
with a quirky presentation..based on one video, they'd do ok.

I assume they would be looking a gtr/lead vox.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422491418' post='2673474']
Yeah I think that would make sense for some.

Me, I'm not looking for any opportunities, I lucked out 3.5 years ago and found the perfect band for me.Those that have followed my threads,Know it's no secret that I have always been and will always be a [i]"1 band, the right band" [/i]kind of guy. Also it could be a generational thing. At times I even think gigging is a generational thing.

I have yet to get an answer to, [b]how does anyone play in more than one band without gig conflicts as in most gigs are on Friday and Saturday night. I would say 90% of the time when I ask these guys how they manage to be in , lets say 4 bands. The story is usually only one of the bands is an actual money making gigging band the rest are non-gigging bands.[/b]

Blue
[/quote]

People are very good with a diary but they will also have to prioritise.
Some might say a diary and gig in it is one thing and they'll commit in principle
to a date but if something comes in that they have to take, you are going to have to be
quick on your feet and make alternative arrangements.
You know the level of 'commitment' at the offset and you decide whether it is something you can manage.
Some people can and some people can't but I start off from the premise that anyone any good is going to be busy
and that is something you have to cope with... because they are too good to pass up..etc etc ..
or their leads/opportunities could become your leads..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422529360' post='2673663']

Anyone any good round here almost always has other bands or priorities so whilst
you can get a great lead singer, they are going to be busy elsewhere and probably have
a touring and/or writing commitment which means they put those gigs first.
If you don't, can't, wont aim for those, then you are on the next rung down along with everything
else that comes with it.[/quote]

Another great point and another good question to ask any gigging band your auditioning for;

[i]"Are any of the band members currently in other gigging bands?"[/i]

If yes, it would weigh heavily on my decision if I was offered the job.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1422529806' post='2673672']
People are very good with a diary but they will also have to prioritise.
Some might say a diary and gig in it is one thing and they'll commit in principle
to a date but if something comes in that they have to take, you are going to have to be
quick on your feet and make alternative arrangements.
You know the level of 'commitment' at the offset and you decide whether it is something you can manage.
Some people can and some people can't but I start off from the premise that anyone any good is going to be busy
and that is something you have to cope with... because they are too good to pass up..etc etc ..
or their leads/opportunities could become your leads..??
[/quote]

Good argument. However, I think you can prioritize all you want. I have seen it way too often. When there's a gig schedule conflict every band does not always have a substitute bass player waiting in the wings and one of the bands has to cancel or decline a gig. And that means somebody gets paid and others don't. I don't want to be involved in that sort of thing.

Blue

Edited by blue