Why become a member? ×

Transcription Apps/Books/Exercises

Sumbabba

Pen and paper. I spend way too much time staring into a computer screen as it is :blink:

I can read music (slowly) but I find transcribing really tricky. I've got a really good ear training app for intervals, chords etc which I always use on the tube but there doesn't seem to be anything for transcribing...

Transcribe! Is truly awesome computer software for manipulating stuff you're trying to transcribe (e.g. slowing down without pitch shifting, taking just one channel etc.)

I also hear the Amazing Slow Downer is good ( sax playing friend of mine uses it) and it can get an app for it. Check out Kyboo's ear training app as well (should be here in technique forum).

This is supposed to be very good, although I haven't personally tried it:-

[url="http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html"]http://www.seventhst...e/overview.html[/url]

It'll mean going back to staring at the computer though :(

[EDIT: Looks like Hector beat me to it!]

Edited by tinyd

+1 for Transcribe if you want to loop and slow down sections for tricky passages. I've just spent a week picking at Kid Charlemagne and boy did I need to slow it down to get some of Chuck Rainey's nuances (still not sure about some bits).

Which app do you use for interval and chord training - sounds interesting?

The SeventhString Transcribe software is brilliant and very affordable (I paid about £40 but that was years ago). It has got me out of a million transcribing holes with fast/complex parts. Working with a tool like Transcribe does improve your ear and you find you need to slow things down less and less as you transcribe lines more and more.

I guess it is a question of clarifying what it is that you are looking for and what problems you are trying to solve for yourself. Transcribing the notes is one thing but creating a readable score with appropriate accents, grace notes etc or for another instrument other than the bass is another and that only comes with practice both in terms of writing out parts AND reading them/getting others to read them.

Yeah I don't think I explained myself very well sorry. What I was looking for was a book or app that has transcribing exercises that start simple and get progressively more difficult. I have a great app for ear training (i.e. identifying intervals and chords etc) but I can't find anything for transcribing. Maybe I should just get a list of basic melodies together and transcribe them. Or maybe I've found a money making opportunity! Probably the first one <_<

Cheers for the software suggestions though, I will definitely check out Transcribe.

[quote name='Sumbabba' timestamp='1422543358' post='2673909']
What I was looking for was a book or app that has transcribing exercises that start simple and get progressively more difficult. I have a great app for ear training (i.e. identifying intervals and chords etc) but I can't find anything for transcribing.[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about selecting things that are simple and avoiding difficult stuff because you're 'not there yet'. The main thing is that you spend some regular time transcribing music that really interests you - don't limit yourself to bass, any instrument is fair game and there's lots to be learned from playing horn lines/piano parts/vocal melodies on a bass. You'll progress at a greater rate if you challenge yourself.

The main thing that I struggled with when I first started transcribing was getting the rhythms right - the answer to this is (sadly) to work on your sight reading. Your ability to write music directly relates to your reading skills, and having a firm grasp of how written rhythms sound will greatly speed up the transcription process.

• 3 weeks later...

As said above just doing it is practice, also breaking it down into small sections. If it's basslines that you are mainly concentrating on then 'Transcribe' is great. If you raise the pitch by say a 5th or even higher, it makes the bass notes much easier to hear.

[quote name='Sumbabba' timestamp='1422457583' post='2672930']
Pen and paper. I spend way too much time staring into a computer screen as it is :blink:

I can read music (slowly) but I find transcribing really tricky. I've got a really good ear training app for intervals, chords etc which I always use on the tube but there doesn't seem to be anything for transcribing...
[/quote]Have you got link for the ear training app? I need all the training i can get.
I would laso gove a thumbs up for Transcribve. Costs £40 ish, but worth every penny. Slowing tracks down doesn`t lose any of the integrity (if that is the right word) of the track

• 10 months later...

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1424008240' post='2691437']
Have you got link for the ear training app? I need all the training i can get.
I would laso gove a thumbs up for Transcribve. Costs £40 ish, but worth every penny. Slowing tracks down doesn`t lose any of the integrity (if that is the right word) of the track
[/quote]

Bit late on this sorry! If you haven't found it already it's called Ear Trainer - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ear-trainer/id358733250?mt=8

I find [url="http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/"]Capo[/url] (Mac only) incredibly useful as a transcribing and practice tool.

I've been transcribing in one form or another since my first year of guitar playing. I sometimes pull out transcriptions I have done years ago and realise how much better my ear has become.