Why become a member? ×

Fretless decisions

sprocketflup

So the time has come to replace my home-made b*st*rd fretless. Current model was a five string Westfield, which I defretted with a JCB and lost the saddle on the lowest string so it plays as a four now. Large gap up top of fretboard lol It has served me well, but Id like something a bit nicer.

Im looking for a 4, I have a preference for slim necks, my current bands output requires that the fretboard has a 2 octave span. (yes I know I could do away with that by having a C string on a fiver but Id like to stick with 4 strings for now)

Ive narrowed it down to 2 so far, the Ibanez SR700 Portamento and the Spectorcore fretless 4 that Bass Direct had in red maple sunburst. Neither of which Ive tried, tho I may have chance tomorrow to noodle on an Ibanez.

Anyone tried either of those basses can offer some pros and cons?

Or offer up any alternative suggestions?

thanks

Edited by sprocketflup

Warwick Corvette - German, Korean or Rockbass Chinese. Choose the right era to get slim or baseball bat neck (which I like). Ebony fingerboard so very wear resistant. Jazz type pickups thus easy to change if you are not happy. Prices very good at the moment. What is not to like.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1422489758' post='2673463']
If poss always get a fretless that is the same make and model as your main fretted bass. Muscle memory and all that.
[/quote]
Agreed I really struggled with fretless until I got a bass the same as my fretted one. Now I'm OK and improving rather than just crap :)