Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street hype or tripe....

jonnythenotes

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1422543023' post='2673903']
The real mystery is why characters played by Bruce Willis (I'm looking at you, Maclaine) can't afford to buy biological detergents.
[/quote]

Many people with sensitive skin or other conditions can't tolerate biological detergents. Just sayin'.

Denmark St is exactly what you expect. Loads of places competing with each other. Wunjo bass centre is in a different league to most of the places there. I got my first real bass there and I've been back to try out amps and effects, but you really have to go midweek to avoid all the time wasters. I also had some work done on my 6 string in the main shop and they were great. Some places just weren't interested. To be honest a decent shop in the provinces is likey to have more space, stock and time to treat you like a human being.

[quote name='organic' timestamp='1422535643' post='2673774']
Probably not going to be there much longer:
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/20/london-music-scene-denmark-street-tin-pan-alley"]http://www.theguardi...t-tin-pan-alley[/url]
[/quote]
Depressing reading indeed. Especially this bit:
[quote]
The area around St Giles... is being remodelled as a large, multimedia building complex called Outernet, a fully web-connected “street scape,” with shops, cafes and a new performance space. It will, according to the marketing blurb, mean we can [b]“interact with the brands we love in exciting new ways,” [/b]it will be [b]“a new dawn for meaningful brand engagement” [/b]promising[b] “branded real-time experiences that add value to people’s lives”[/b].[/quote]
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the distinct feeling that that is the biggest load of complete w*** I have heard in a long time. 'Meaningful brand engagement'? Give me strength. Do these people really talk like that? And if so, how do they keep from being punched in the face at regular intervals?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1422534563' post='2673763']
Yeah, you was wrong mate, you didn't like that bass you liked.
[/quote]

What I was trying to imply, badly, is that Denmark Street are in general purveyors of B-stock crap at prices that are over optimistic for stuff in grade-A condition.

Viewed purely as a retail experience (which is a pretty reasonable point of view) the negative comments about much of Denmark Street don't strike me as particularly unfair. Working a few minutes from there for nearly 20 years means that I've had the opportunity to spend more time there than most Basschatters, and I've seen plenty that's good and plenty that's bad.

But the reason for much of the [i]angst [/i]about Denmark Street's imminent demise is that it's NOT just a retail experience. It is genuinely part of Britain's musical history (not just punk, not just the Stones, it goes back much further than that), it is genuinely a tourist attraction, it is genuinely a nexus (sorry about the pretentious word) where different aspects of the current music scene can rub up against each other.

Should that stand in the way of progress (assuming that you view this as progress)? Dunno. I really can see both sides of the story here.

But I'm glad that the Street's not just disappearing in a foam of complete apathy. At least we'll be able to look back later once it's gone and think that we at least [i][b]considered [/b][/i]trying to keep it.

Personally I'd feel happier about it if I knew that "the scene" was going to re-locate elsewhere. In practice, there's a real risk that "the scene" may now become almost completely virtual. Places like Basschat, in fact.

This is not an uncommon experience to read on here. They've not got any better then!

I think/hear it's good for guitar gear. A few friends have just wandered in to shops for something rare and come out with it under their arms. You don't tend to get a good deal on the whole, but it's not about that all the time..

Bass wise... YUK !.. Can't stand the manner of the people in the bass cellar (or whatever it's called), and never been that impressed with the variety, compared to what you'd find in most town Centres. Staff are rude and arrogant IME. Boring Boring Boring!

Next time, defo go to:
The Gallery. Totally different kettle of fish. Top guys, great stock.
Andy Baxter - vintage mania! By appointment only though. Great choice if that's what you are after/saving for!
Bass Gear - these guys are out towards Reading. But they are as enthusiastic as the rest of us, and have all sorts of cool, new, old, traditional, rare, usual, whatever, basses in stock. Different every time I go.

With all those guys out there who care, Denmark street seems like a waste of a day. Hopefully they'll change sometime soon. :unsure:

Shame

In the mid 70's as a callow youth of about 14/15 my mates and I used to vist Shaftesbury Avenue, Charing cross road and Denmark st on a regular basis, there were loads more music shops then, asking to try instruments we couldn't possibly afford and were never refused.
I did eventually buy my HH Vs Bass amp from Macari's, there were two branches on Charing Cross Road.
Happy Days

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1422534828' post='2673765']

Well the three (soon to be two) Wunjo shops are co-owned. I understand the newish Westside belongs to someone from the old Music Ground organisation. On the other side are two or three Rhodes shops, and Vintage and Rare has now changed hands, now it's No.Tom and does a similar job, but has extended the catchment from "mostly Fender and Gibson". Check out the recently sold 4005 on the website (http://notomguitars.com/collections/basses/products/1968-rickenbacker-4005) :o Also, a well-known US actor was seen in there last week dropping £10k on a vintage P, which puts his recent comments in the press in perspective a bit
[/quote]
[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1422539692' post='2673856']

Surprised to hear that Westside is a MG outfit, as I got really good service from them when I was shopping for an acoustic six-string.
[/quote]

Last I was aware.... Westside is owned by Johnny X, he is the UK distributor for Martin guitars, but staffed by a couple of Ex Music Ground including Paul, the most incredible guitar player and all round good guy, Music Ground just have the one shop, thank heavens, that place was hell when they owned half the street, the mighty Wunjo have 3, Regent Sounds is owned by an amazing guy called Crispin, No Tom is owned by a good bloke called Ron. The two Rose Morris stores have seperate owners and Macaris have their second shop there. Angel Music is owned but a couple of very cool pro's and Rock Stop has had the same staff and owner since the late 80's!

IMO Denmark Street isn't so cool for boutique or high end gear, back in my day the shops averaged between 10- 25k a week, and that's only achievable by selling generic stuff to the masses. Destination stores are definitely the way forward for something special.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1422548809' post='2673986']

Depressing reading indeed. Especially this bit:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the distinct feeling that that is the biggest load of complete w*** I have heard in a long time. 'Meaningful brand engagement'? Give me strength. Do these people really talk like that? And if so, how do they keep from being punched in the face at regular intervals?
[/quote]

Absolutely what a load of corporate boll***s. I'd be first in the face punching queue for these gits too.

Nothing to do in Denmark street .... boring useless shops with bad service for most of them (wunjo people are nice but have the same boring stuff)

go to the gallery! best shop in london by very far... and by very very very far best luthiers / tech people. I've changed country 3 times since then, could not find some one i'd trust equally as martin P

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1422501015' post='2673498']
Bass Gallery in Camden is the bass place to visit in London.
[/quote]

I believe that irritable Alex has left to do the knowledge. It might be safe to go back in there again! :happy:

I work just around the corner from Denmark street; I've always just seen it as comparable with regional stores of Guitarguitar/Dawsons or whatever, it's just that you go through doors & down the street to the different departments. It's ok for cheap things & if you walk past regularly you are often treated to something nice second hand but it's pot luck if you're travelling for just on the hopes of them having something good in.

Bass Gallery & Bass Direct are the better options if you're wanting to make a day of it, though even they won't always have what you want.

And to the person looking for a book; you know Foyles just moved into the building next door right? They've actually done a really good job of the new building so it's definitely worth a look you're after something special for the coffee table.

The Gallery in Camden is without question the best bass shop in the country. Martin is an absolute genius and they always have a great selection of gear.
I always hated the Bass Cellar and that awful man that ran it but since it got taken over by Wunjo it's a different kettle of fish. The guys that run it are all lovely; very helpful and enthusiastic. You can also often get a very good deal there and they are good for part-exchanges too. Got s great deal on a Hofner Violin bass not long ago with a part-exchange. Was very happy with the service.
So if you are around Denmark Street go visit Wunjo.
But make sure you go to the Gallery at every available opportunity!

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1426122490' post='2714777']
The Gallery in Camden is without question the best bass shop in the country. Martin is an absolute genius and they always have a great selection of gear.

So if you are around Denmark Street go visit Wunjo.
But make sure you go to the Gallery at every available opportunity!
[/quote]

I went there once, but it appeared closed, which was a shame. Since then I found you had to knock or ring or something to be let in, but I would never do that, so I guess it isn't for me.
I like wunjos and have bought stuff from them. Luckily I don't really want anything (or more accurately can't afford anything) beyond midrange, so that is good enough for me, and they price matched with others last time I bought something there new.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1426148023' post='2714845']
I went there once, but it appeared closed, which was a shame. Since then I found you had to knock or ring or something to be let in, but I would never do that, so I guess it isn't for me.
[/quote]

Yes they have a very annoying buzzer system... totally puts me off going in for a casual look around. Guess it's probably something to do with their insurance though so they probably don't have much choice.

Good selection of gear once your in though :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426153366' post='2714898']
For those us recovering from GAS, a very good thing! :swoon:
[/quote]

You never truly recover.... I'm more than happy with my gear at the moment but I'm aware that I'm just in remission... GAS will strike again! It always finds a way in...

Same experience as most, really - Wunjo were the only folks worth visiting, it seemed.

The difference was, I was actually looking to get hold of a run-of-the-mill P-Bass, rather than anything obscure! The guys at Wunjo were the only ones who took the time to sit with me, explain all the tiny differences in all the models and let me jam on them for at least an hour. When I went in they also had a couple of nice Markbass heads and speakers - particularly the TTE500, which has been tempting me for a while. No complaints!

Everywhere else on Denmark Street left me feeling pressured to 'just play it and go!', and the range of basses available was awful.

Seeing as I'm a northerner, for my sins, my 'go-to' is PMT, in Manchester. Will have to check out Bass Direct though!

The Wunjo guys are very helpful and always happy for you to try stuff out for as long as you need. I spent several hours over many visits trying out all their Hofners before settling on the right one and never felt pressured.
Know what you mean about the other shops. The old Bass Cellar was the worst for that. So glad it's been replaced with Wunjo. Their guitar and electronics shops are worth a peek too. Couldn't wish for a nicer bunch of people to basically take over half the street!