Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street hype or tripe....

jonnythenotes

Made a special trip from my home town of Lichfield a few weeks ago to the fabled Denmark Street in London. Within an hour I had been into every shop, and was only to glad to leave the place behind. I think I expected an awe inspiring range of shops, full of the latest musical goodies, being second to none in the UK. What I found was a handful of shops on a back street, some of which felt as if they were ready to collapse at any moment. I was hoping to find something different, but it seemed each shop was 'playing it safe' sticking to the usual Fenders, Gibsons, Marshall etc. It felt like a case of monkey see, monkey, do as each shop stuck with the same ole' safe route that worked for all the other shops doing the same thing. I was trying to find some Sandberg, Yamaha BB and Mike Lull stuff to look at, and at the time, not one of the shops had any of these in stock,and it's not as if they are a rare commodity. Am I being cynical, or is it just because it's London that I expected far more. I live fairly close to Bass Direct in Warwick, and that is a place that really does impress...it's how it should be done. I know Mark Stickley pretty well, and could spend a day in his place, compared to the 60 mins I was on Denmark street. Completely underwhelming... Next time I fancy seeing something different and impressive, perhaps a train to Manchester might be money better spent.... And then there is always the 40 minute spin to Bass direct again..

Well Denmark street are catering to beginners really and people maybe not as aware of the different instruments available beyond the ubiquitous Fender models. Bass Direct & The Gallery for example are catering for a very different buyer than Wunjos are. It's not possible for a shop to stock everything and they have to go with what is going to make them the most money...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1422486106' post='2673414']
Made a special trip from my home town of Lichfield a few weeks ago to the fabled Denmark Street in London. Within an hour I had been into every shop, and was only to glad to leave the place behind. I think I expected an awe inspiring range of shops, full of the latest musical goodies, being second to none in the UK. What I found was a handful of shops on a back street, some of which felt as if they were ready to collapse at any moment. I was hoping to find something different, but it seemed each shop was 'playing it safe' sticking to the usual Fenders, Gibsons, Marshall etc. It felt like a case of monkey see, monkey, do as each shop stuck with the same ole' safe route that worked for all the other shops doing the same thing. I was trying to find some Sandberg, Yamaha BB and Mike Lull stuff to look at, and at the time, not one of the shops had any of these in stock,and it's not as if they are a rare commodity. Am I being cynical, or is it just because it's London that I expected far more. I live fairly close to Bass Direct in Warwick, and that is a place that really does impress...it's how it should be done. I know Mark Stickley pretty well, and could spend a day in his place, compared to the 60 mins I was on Denmark street. Completely underwhelming... Next time I fancy seeing something different and impressive, perhaps a train to Manchester might be money better spent.... And then there is always the 40 minute spin to Bass direct again..
[/quote]

London being overhyped by those who need to justify why they pay so much to live in a smog filled city in their shoebox houses?! Never!

In all seriousness, I'm with you on this. I'm a huge Fender fan boy and a longer term player/buyer but I'd still rather go to somewhere like Bassgear or Bass Direct as they offer great service and ranges of stock that really exemplify the great quality gear that's available to bass players.

The problem is that Denmark street stores also have to have space in their shop for beginners and those people want to buy stuff from brands they recognise and at a more reasonable price!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1422518125' post='2673532']
Horses for courses. I like Denmark St more than ever, but mainly off the back of Wunjo. Wunjo's stock while varied is mid-range. Anyone who is after anything more eclectic will know the score and visit Bass Direct.
[/quote]

Agreed - I had the best bass shopping experience (qv) a week ago in Denmark St.

Also did you take the opportunity to check out the basses in say Ivor Mairants, Hobgoblin, Chappells - all within a few minutes walk; then there's the Bass Gallery not far away, If you're really keen then there's Andy Baxter about the same distance. If I travelled all the way from Lichfield just for Denmark St I think I'd be disappointed as well.

I remember trying a Tokai Talbo in Denmark Street around 2000/2001

I wish I'd got it, haven't seen another since.

Every time I go it seems a bit worse, I thought most of the shops are now owned by the same people?

Edited by Lifer

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1422486106' post='2673414']
I think I expected an awe inspiring range of shops, full of the latest musical goodies, being second to none in the UK. What I found was a handful of shops on a back street.
[/quote]

I was there on Sunday (down to see the Commitments). Much dingier than I expected but, to be fair, coming directly off Charing Cross Road you could hardly call it a back street.

Didn't look at any basses or gear but looked at some keyboards with my wife. The Rose Morris Piano and Keyboard shops seemed the most impressive in that respect.

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1422530155' post='2673682']
I remember trying a Tokai Talbo in Denmark Street around 2000/2001

I wish I'd got it, haven't seen another since.
[/quote]

I also tried that Bass. Nasty B-stock body with far too many visible casting marks on it. Not a patch on the quality of the Talbos available in Japan (where they are considerably cheaper too).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422531148' post='2673703']
I also tried that Bass. Nasty B-stock body with far too many visible casting marks on it. Not a patch on the quality of the Talbos available in Japan (where they are considerably cheaper too).
[/quote]

Yeah, you was wrong mate, you didn't like that bass you liked.

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1422530155' post='2673682']
Every time I go it seems a bit worse, I thought most of the shops are now owned by the same people?
[/quote]

Well the three (soon to be two) Wunjo shops are co-owned. I understand the newish Westside belongs to someone from the old Music Ground organisation. On the other side are two or three Rhodes shops, and Vintage and Rare has now changed hands, now it's No.Tom and does a similar job, but has extended the catchment from "mostly Fender and Gibson". Check out the recently sold 4005 on the website (http://notomguitars.com/collections/basses/products/1968-rickenbacker-4005) :o Also, a well-known US actor was seen in there last week dropping £10k on a vintage P, which puts his recent comments in the press in perspective a bit

Probably not going to be there much longer:
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/20/london-music-scene-denmark-street-tin-pan-alley"]http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/20/london-music-scene-denmark-street-tin-pan-alley[/url]

[quote name='organic' timestamp='1422535643' post='2673774']
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/20/london-music-scene-denmark-street-tin-pan-alley"]http://www.theguardi...t-tin-pan-alley[/url]
[/quote]

Will be a shame when this does all come to pass. Even if Wunjos escape the next wave of development, you'd think as the area improves and rents increase it will become even more unsustainable for the independants. Gradually the smaller guys get squeezed out - bookshops / records / and so on.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1422538372' post='2673826']
Will be a shame when this does all come to pass. Even if Wunjos escape the next wave of development, you'd think as the area improves and rents increase it will become even more unsustainable for the independants. Gradually the smaller guys get squeezed out - bookshops / records / and so on.
[/quote]

Yup, I was up in that end of Charing Cross Road last week in search of a book (remember them?) Foyles have moved, with what looks like a bunch of short-timers in their space: wonder what'll happen to that fine old building. Blackwells has also shut down.

Music wise, I live in SE London but slog around the M25 to Andertons when I'm in serious window-shop/try-out mode. Having said that, Denmark Street has improved recently - mostly thanks to the rise of Wunjo's and the decline of Music Ground. Surprised to hear that Westside is a MG outfit, as I got really good service from them when I was shopping for an acoustic six-string.

[quote name='organic' timestamp='1422535643' post='2673774']
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/20/london-music-scene-denmark-street-tin-pan-alley"]http://www.theguardi...t-tin-pan-alley[/url]
[/quote]

Depressing reading.