Why become a member? ×

MIDI keyboard for live use. Anyone do it?

Truckstop

Hello all,

Wondering if midi keyboards are a cost effective and compact way of achieving lots of different key sounds suitable for live use.

Anyone got any experience using this sort of set-up? I don't have anything with decent processing power to use with a midi keyboard, only an EE brand pad so I'd be looking at android apps to use (if there are any?!).

Any experiences would be greatfully received :)

Alex

To be more specific, I have a budget that either allows me to buy a second-hand home-use keyboard with lots of, but poor quality, sounds or a midi keyboard and software.

I'd really like a stage piano like the M-Audio Prokeys 88 but they're rare and above budget; the Prokeys 88sx (which is in budget) doesn't have the same functionality, sadly.

It's not for pro-level work, just tinkling along with my pub band. We've been after a keys player for ages, it'd be easier to get a new bassist while I move to keys but I don't have anything practical to take to gigs and rehearsals. I have a Daewoo stage piano at home which is great, but far too bulky to take out.

I think I'd also like to try out some synths and pads and stuff too. Does Midi fit the bill? If so, anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks for all your input so far!

Alex

Edited by Truckstop

Do you know which EE pad you have? I ask because the only one I have seen - the EE Eagle - appears to be massively underpowered and struggles to run many of the apps that my Samsung S3 phone handles with ease. IME most music apps require a fair bit of grunt from the hardware they run on. I'd definitely want to try it out first before committing any serious money, and TBH I'd always look at a dedicated hardware solution for live. I'd be looking at second hand keyboard workstations from about 10-15 years ago.

Grand pianos, clav, e. pianos, strings, percussive organ, Hammond, choirs. Maybe some pads and synths but not bothered by those.

Chorus and reverb would be a bonus. As I said, a half decent stage piano would have all those functions but I haven't found any in budget yet!

Cheers Red

If I can find one in collecting distance!! There's loads of stuff on the gas list, just got to wait until they surface. I want to avoid the home-jamming type keyboards. I don't trust the sounds and they don't feel very nice at all; flimsy and weak!

Alex

I would say though that it probably isn't that much cheaper - you have the things like the the juno D that you can pick up quite cheap that does generic sounds, and it is easier to transport. I have a master keyboard anyway (61 note axiom), as well as a piano for piano stuff and when I used the macbook I wanted specific sounds based on 70s synths where I found easier to do on the macbook than a synth. The macbook is worth more than the synths would be, so if I was playing in a pub I am not sure I would be so keen to do it. I have toyed with the idea of using the iPad sometimes to do some music, but am not yet sure (although I do know people who use it). I personally wouldn't trust android to do it, as it seems flakier, but we all have our own experiences with it, so it depends how much you trust it. Never really looked at it for music though as it is very limited for music as I said.

The other option is a master keyboard and some cheap sound module. I know I have thought about this before as I have an old Korg O5R/W that although I bought it in 96 (almost 20 years ago - gulp!) makes perfectly good sounds for general use and is probably worth next to nothing on ebay. My wife did an album with a sound canvas back then so they are perfectly good enough for most things.

Oh I wasn't trying to sell it - they have got to the level that they are cheap so might as well hang on to them as they are worth more than they could be sold for! There are quite a few on ebay, the korgs / rolands etc.

But I was in the same position, its a dangerous position, you start off with a midi module, then well, might as well get a Juno D/G, then you read the reviews and it says it is a bit generic and maybe you would be better with something triton based, then before you know it you are watching the reviews for the Moog Voyager XL and Roland Phantom..

Keyboards are way worse than basses.

I honestly can't see you beating the Juno for VFM secondhand. For pub use it should be more than good enough, probably most recording too tbh and you can do midi control through it at a later a date if you still need too. In the keyboard world £200 is nothing if I'm honest. A new passable gigging keyboard for a beginner is probably going to start around the £800 mark.

The double edged sword in the keyboard world is that things depreciate so bloody quickly! So a keyboard that retailed at £800 3/4 years ago will probably be around the £200-£300 now!

if you have a decent laptop you can get a decent midi controller keyboard for £150, something like a Novation Impulse has some decent functionality around the £150-200 mark. however you will then need music software to get the most out of it. i use ableton as it's generally regarded as the best for live performance (and works on PCs and Mac. You then have full on recording software and options coming out of your ears. if you don't have a decent laptop then this is not a cheap option as you will need a midrange to decent laptop in order for this to work.

Just a note: Music production on Android is pretty much a non-starter because of how the OS works (developers can get closer to the hardware on iOS and latency is much less).

Something like the Juno is good, for a while I owned a Yamaha SY22 which was from the late 80s/early 90s but very flexible. If you don't mind older synth engines picking up a used workstation like this is the cheapest way to get a lot of sounds and nice-feeling keys. As has been said, synths depreciate so if you don't mind going back a few years you can get stuff that was stage & studio quality for next to nothing.

Otherwise you're stuck with a midi controller running plug-ins/apps on a computer which may be a cheaper option but is more probe to going wrong!

Edited by hairychris