Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

When I use to play it I would use the first verse to check my tuning and the second to get my muscle memory ready for the bass part under the solo. It's hard enough doing it on a short scale bass as on the original recording so playing it on a 36" scale Overwater was always a bit of a challenge.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1422536660' post='2673785']
I just point blank refused to play Alright Now

Its the height of naff.
[/quote]

I live in Naff towers and generally just nod my head and smile at audience members during the verses.

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1422537198' post='2673798']
Do nothing at all. It is beyond painful when bassists try to put a bassline in there
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more brother

But it's a great number!

I'll grant you, it's very overplayed and mostly played very badly (and usually the wrong riff) by average guitarists and drummers who don't understand how to groove rather than thrash. It's such an easy number to get right that it's disappointing to see so many bands get it wrong. The point for the bass isn't to fill up the gaps, but to leave it alone.

The number's about groove, big dynamics and a good sing along. Just play it properly and all the pieces fall into place.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1422540363' post='2673869']
But it's a great number!

I'll grant you, it's very overplayed and mostly played very badly (and usually the wrong riff) by average guitarists and drummers who don't understand how to groove rather than thrash. It's such an easy number to get right that it's disappointing to see so many bands get it wrong. The point for the bass isn't to fill up the gaps, but to leave it alone.

The number's about groove, big dynamics and a good sing along. Just play it properly and all the pieces fall into place.
[/quote]

This!!

Still loved by audiences around the world 45 years after it was released!! Can't argue with that. Up there with the greats like Johhny B Goode and Mustang Sally.

The band is there to entertain the audience, no time to get snobby about "It's too common" etc.

And on the original question: Nothing in the first two verses, but put in quite a heavy groove in the third and to the end. Gives a bit of a lift lift towards the end.

Edited by Count Bassy