Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

I carefully studied Andy Fraser's dance moves (available on a Youtube near you) and use them. If I'm feeling a bit more showmanlike, I do a variant of the hand jive.

I'm trying to get Honky Tonk Women into the set so I can have another rest.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1422536660' post='2673785']
I just point blank refused to play Alright Now

Its the height of naff.
[/quote]

I missed a band meeting recently and the buggers grid to slip this in the set while I wasn't looking. I also point blank refused to play it.

Based on the singer being unable to hit the notes we ended up dropping into G- which completely messes up the iconic bassline under the solo but I can kind of get away with it. I have ended up playing it dropping the E string down to D and it kind of works. I sometimes forget to down tune, so the first verse is often a hasty silent retune.

Other than that I'll swig a coke, take a few pics of the band from the stage, or jiggle about a bit.

I quite like playing it and would simulate the chord sequences without volume and it then looks as though you are doing something.
Occasionally i have played a root note here and there but think best left as the original.
When younger i really enjoyed the vibe from this song so was never an issue doing it.

Dave

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1422551494' post='2674035']
It's not as if anyone is watching you.
[/quote]

Haha, so true. You could probably set fire to your nads and hold up a big sign saying 'SERENITY NOW' and still no-one would bat an eyelid.

Edited by discreet

Sometimes I shake a tambourine or rock back and forth like Andy Frazer in the video from the IOW. I,m not bothered by the songs alleged naffness. i will play want the crowd want to hear even if I cant stand the song I,m a musician after all.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422545118' post='2673945']
[i]500 Miles[/i] and [i]Hi-Ho Silver Lining[/i].
[/quote]

Never played either of them. But Stairway to Heaven, Brown Eyed girl and Wonderful Tonight did it for me.

Had the Guitard complain cos I pulled a nudie calendar down from the wall and stood behind him pulling faces and leering at the pictures during the boring bits of Stairway (ie. almost all of it )

The fact that it was on the wall says a lot about the quality of the gigs that band got.

Played it for many years (and will likely have to again; if people want to hear it who am I to say otherwise) and I don't play a line or notes, I used to add percussive whomps to the bass drum kick by palming the strings with my right hand... if I felt like it I might add other percussive parts to compliment the drums. Drummer and I used to then play off each other, good fun. :)