Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10 - Shock and Awe bass sound

Jenny_Innie

So, y'wanna know what a Barefaced Retro Two10 sounds like?

This is my TC Electronic RH750 played through a 12 Ohm Barefaced Retro Two 10 and a Barefaced 2nd Generation Compact together.

No pedals, no nuthin.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/the-innies/god-is-a-woman"]https://soundcloud.c.../god-is-a-woman[/url]

The bass is my Fender Japanese late 80s Jazz with replacement pickups by Hot Rod Pickups. It's got a "Thumper" P-bass pickup (had to be re-routed) in the neck and an '84 at the bridge.

This tune uses the P-Bass and the tone full-on with the bridge about 1/4 on. Played with a pick of course. Some "Tweeter Tone" and "Tube Tone"

For the detail-minded: captured the sound in the local village hall, nobody there but me, cabs in the corner and two SM57s pointing about 3 inches from the grills mid-axis - one at the Compact and one at one of the speakers in the Retro Two10. Both going through a Focusrite interface straight into my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X.

Drums courtesy of other Jenny and her programming digits on Logic. She knows a groove.

Now don't go playin' this thru no lame-ass sound system. You gotta play this though an audiophile stuff or with some absolutely no tat allowed headphones.

This is the sound I'm talkin' about. Those two Barefaceds with the RH750 are [size=6]MONSTER![/size]

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1422543247' post='2673908']
Drums courtesy of other Jenny and her programming digits on Logic. She knows a groove.

Now don't go playin' this thru no lame-ass sound system. You gotta play this though an audiophile stuff or with some absolutely no tat allowed headphones.

This is the sound I'm talkin' about. Those two Barefaceds with the RH750 are [size=6]MONSTER![/size]
[/quote]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xby81m1GtH8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xby81m1GtH8[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422561017' post='2674189']
? ? ? :huh:
[/quote]

Yeah I'm not sure I understand much of this either. Or Conan's Scooby link. But hey.

Not keen on the OP's bass sound, but she probably wouldn't like my tones either. You need to hear it context init.

Good recording though, considering it's miced. Needs a better mix.

I liked it sounds good and its actually now stuck in my head!.

The tone was a bit harsh for me, not harsh in a bad way just not my tone as i myself would of played it with the tone rolled off slightly, zero tweeter tone and finger style.

I also thought the drums were cool and suited the piece.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422565004' post='2674234']
Yeah I'm not sure I understand much of this either. Or Conan's Scooby link. But hey.
[/quote]

Sorry - maybe a bit obtuse in hindsight! It was in reference to some cool rap in the OP which reminded me of a section in the SD movie... I think the OP got it, buut my brain does move in mysterious ways sometimes :blush:

Sadly I can't listen to the recording at work as there is a problem with updating Soundcloud. At home, my laptop speakers are crap so I won't get the full benefit... but I think I can imagine the tone - sounds as if it wouldn't be to far from what I strive for: sort of JJBurnel meets Geddy Lee... I'll have a listen this weekend B)

It's a good sound, maybe not one you could use in every sort of music but it'll certainly stick out in a mix. I like it when people post bits of their playing on here, to my mind hearing somebody play tells you more about where they're coming from than reading a list of gear ever could. This is why I have band links in my sig line rather than a gear list!
The line reminds me a bit of Badge by Cream, but these sort of coincidences happen!
[media]http://youtu.be/gSpW6MePb10[/media]

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1422612231' post='2674546']
Great sound ! Is that a Hugh Cornwell track ?
[/quote]

Yeah. Some post on here a while back linked to some band he was in - and, coincidentally, I went with my mum to see one of her fave artists on tour and he was the other act on the bill. He had a girl bassist who was the bomb and I bought his album from the merchandise stand. All pretty dope. That's a track on that album with a well-cool bass line.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1422543247' post='2673908']

[/quote]

I played it through my pc squeakers. Does this make me a bad person? :P

Still sounds great though :)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1422637004' post='2675021']
I played it through my pc squeakers. Does this make me a bad person? :P

Still sounds great though :)
[/quote]

I listened through by poxy little earbuds via the workplace PC's sound card. Planer, if you're a bad person then I'm going straight to hell.

(I liked it too.)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1422611395' post='2674532']
The line reminds me a bit of Badge by Cream, but these sort of coincidences happen!
[/quote]

A little? The section in question [i]is[/i] Badge by Cream in almost every respect (can't be sure about key though) :)

Like the tone though

Edited by Beedster

Haven't been able to play through decent speakers yet, and my laptop speakers have absolutely no bass response but what I've head so far sounds great. That BF cab combination is going to take some beating. @OP Have you tried playing through just the 2x10 or the Compact for comparison?

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1422782533' post='2676619']
Haven't been able to play through decent speakers yet, and my laptop speakers have absolutely no bass response but what I've head so far sounds great. That BF cab combination is going to take some beating. @OP Have you tried playing through just the 2x10 or the Compact for comparison?
[/quote]

Yeah. The Compact itself is great. Lovely sound, but put it in a punk band situation and I sometimes can't distinguish the notes. People in the audience said it sounded great and meaty and room filling - and the other Jenny our drummer likes it ....... but I need a bit more definition.

The Barefaced on its own is better in all those respects. It has a sort of grainy sound ...... old skool I think a lot of oldies would call it. Very good BUT .... I've got the 12 Ohm one and, even with a TC RH750 ...... which shatters the earth's core with the Compact ...... doesn't give enough volume. I'm just about to order a 4 Ohm one.

Together, they are colossus. Best sound ever, ever. Lots of everything. Sounds so low that you would swear that there is a sub in the room but all the bite you need.

Interestingly, the geetarist and I sometimes compete for spectrum - but not with the Compact-Retro Two10 set up.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1422785546' post='2676647']
Yeah. The Compact itself is great. Lovely sound, but put it in a punk band situation and I sometimes can't distinguish the notes. People in the audience said it sounded great and meaty and room filling - and the other Jenny our drummer likes it ....... but I need a bit more definition.

The Barefaced on its own is better in all those respects. It has a sort of grainy sound ...... old skool I think a lot of oldies would call it. Very good BUT .... I've got the 12 Ohm one and, even with a TC RH750 ...... which shatters the earth's core with the Compact ...... doesn't give enough volume. I'm just about to order a 4 Ohm one.

Together, they are colossus. Best sound ever, ever. Lots of everything. Sounds so low that you would swear that there is a sub in the room but all the bite you need.

Interestingly, the geetarist and I sometimes compete for spectrum - but not with the Compact-Retro Two10 set up.
[/quote]
I've now listened to the track again through a decent pair of headphones, and it sounds soo much fuller. It's got some real low-down grunt but the note definition is much better with the 2x10 added in as well.

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1422796674' post='2676806']
I've now listened to the track again through a decent pair of headphones, and it sounds soo much fuller. It's got some real low-down grunt but the note definition is much better with the 2x10 added in as well.
[/quote]

Yeah, honestly. Headphones and good speakers are great - but Listening live, it sounds like there is a sub in the room.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1422800634' post='2676858']
Yeah, honestly. Headphones and good speakers are great - but Listening live, it sounds like there is a sub in the room.
[/quote]
I can well believe it! Probably enough to make one's intestines head south for the winter

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1422785546' post='2676647']

[/quote] For what its worth - I have the 4 ohm two10 partnered with the TC BH800 for smaller venues and rehearsals - shed loads of volume - doesn't have the low-end grunt of a Big Twin (but it wouldnt really would it) but for a rig the size of a packet of crisps it puts out more than enough for the band (rock/pop). Defo spending more time with eq to get the right sound tho - those mids need to be tamed! I would hazard a guess that the 4ohm will allow the RH to give you plenty considering the heads MAY have similair power o/p - who knows with TC?

My first post on these forums - hope it was helpful?