Why become a member? ×

Danelectro bass lipstick pickup screws

Paul S

Question about these. I just picked up a Danelectro DC bass that is missing one of the lipstick pickup height adjustment/fixing screws. Does anyone happen to know what size a replacement needs to be?

Danelectro website doesn't list them as spares and seems strangely unhelpful for anything not listed.

ta!

Paul

It's a self tapping screw and not a threaded screw. Something like this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-10-4-8mm-POZI-FLANGE-SELF-TAPPING-SCREWS-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-POZI-DRIVE-/111039830174, but I can't off hand remember the size. I'd take the other one out and head off down to B & Q and try to match it up. The spring on the pickup is a Bent bit of metal so nothing will go flying off.

• 1 month later...

Update - having now got one that fits, I thought I'd update the post in case anyone else wants to search for similar topics.

3mm (M3) x 25mm theaded bolt. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190842506229?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D190842506229%26_rdc%3D1"]http://www.ebay.co.u...6229%26_rdc%3D1[/url]

Not a self-tapper, no springs! Screws into a flange on the side of the pickup. At least, it does on the DC9 model bass.

Edited by Paul S

Sorry to miss-lead you there. I got 4 Danelectro pickups sitting here and they've all got bent copper strips as springs and are all attached with self tapping screws. They must use different mountings depending on the model although my DC bass, recently sold, and Longhorn both use this method.

S'ok - it was apparent as soon as it came out what was going on. Maybe it is a Korea vs China thing? Anyway, glad to have it up and running - going to use it at rehearsal tomorrow to see how it sits in the mix. Sounds different to my Dano Longhorn, somehow but that could just be the Longhorn has older strings on it.

Interesting - you hear the same as me. I did wonder as my ears aren't what they were :) I have 'bonded' fairly seriously with the Longhorn, I have to say. Sounds brilliant, light as a feather and easy to play. And eye-catching quirky looks, too. I'm going to gig with it for the first time on Saturday, really looking forward to that. Meanwhile the DC will get a run through this evening - a different band, different music, might fit in ok.

There's a whole 'Carry On ...' film's worth of double entendres there :)

At rehearsal last night the DC sat nicely in the mix with the band and through my proper rig so it looks like it is going to be here to stay for a while. I still prefer the Longhorn, though - the tone is more 'rounded' I think.

Very much, Rod. Quite a revelation. For one band it is my #1 bass - the look and sound are just perfect. During the set I alternate between that and a Stagg EUB so both are kind of unusual and eye catching.

Have to say it was a bit of a steal, too... but don't tell the guy I bought it from.

:)

• 7 years later...

Hey Guys ...

I am a Canadian, now living in the US ... I only mention this verify that I speak "metric". LOL !!!!!

That said, for my/our American friends, I had to do a lot of digging in order to find the suitable replacement screw.

So, at your local Home Depot store ...

EverBilt 328 035 Machine Screw #6-32 x 1 1/4" Round Head Combo Set (see attached picture).

$3 for a pack of 6.

The threading is a little snug at first. But, without forcing it ... it loosens up to fit and function beautifully !!

Hopefully this will help others out, as your original posts helped me out !!!!!

Danelectro Pickup Height Adjustment Screw Replacement.jpg

• Like 1