Why become a member? ×

How to train your drummer?

Biglump

Well, here I am lolloping about in the foothills of bass knowledge, learning a bit more each day.
The metronome is giving me a hard time, but it's paying off.
Got scales, Arpeggios etc after a fashion.

Now a friend got a drum kit for Christmas and is still going with it in late January.
So in the spirit of mid life crisis, we've decided to form a Rhythm section and see how it goes.

So how do I assess his progress?
What's the secret to getting a good tight sound out of us?

Are there any tricks and tips for making it work, and are there pitfalls we should avoid?

Many thanks.

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1422569841' post='2674302']
Well, here I am lolloping about in the foothills of bass knowledge, learning a bit more each day.
The metronome is giving me a hard time, but it's paying off.
Got scales, Arpeggios etc after a fashion.

Now a friend got a drum kit for Christmas and is still going with it in late January.
So in the spirit of mid life crisis, we've decided to form a Rhythm section and see how it goes.

So how do I assess his progress?
What's the secret to getting a good tight sound out of us?

Are there any tricks and tips for making it work, and are there pitfalls we should avoid?

Many thanks.
[/quote]

My cheery motivational comment is always the same...

'It's the first 40 years that are the hardest, after which things get (slightly...) better."

Disclaimer: I'm a drummer.

Choose a couple of songs that you both would like to play (together...). Learn, individually, the parts; if necessary a bit at a time. Practise them together; if necessary, a bit at a time. Rinse and repeat. I would heartily recommend (for both of you...) to see if a few lessons from a suitable teacher might be envisaged; you can't know how much benefit you'll get from that unless you've tried it. You'll gain years of trial and error (which can be fun, though, so all is not lost if you can't...).
Be modest (at first...) in your mutual aspirations. Your buddy won't be knocking out SOAD blast beats for a while, and you won't be Flea next week. Have fun together; that's the real key. Good luck; keep us up to date with progress, please..?

• 3 months later...

Progress report as requested.
I've been putting the hours in and am now playing Bass with the local Ukulele orchestra.
It's one of the more junior Uke groups locally so its not so high pressure and there are a lot of music stands peep at...
Although a duff bass note stands out and makes me keen to get it properly right next time.

I also dabble at Uke ing in order to sight read the chords like I sight read the guitarists hands.
It's also driving me to study simple theory so currently all is going quite well.
Simple theory being what I understand vs stuff I don't understand, yet.
And there's not much I understand.
Although I now have a severe case of GAS, they are all 34s.
Still to actually try a U bass properly.
Still to actually work with a drummer.
Still going between Uke, 6 string and Bass and all are improving steadily.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

All that in only 4 months..? You're doing exceedingly well, old chap; keep that up and you'll be up there with the best of 'em before you know it. Well done. There is always more to learn, however far one goes. It's the journey, not the destination. B)

Listen to the kick drum all the time, work out how the notes in the baseline fit against the kick drum pattern (sometimes hitting the same beat, sometimes fitting in between each other's beats) and make it all fit together absolutely tightly so that every time you're both meant to be playing a beat, you hit it bang on together.
Oh, and buy the drummer a metronome too...

Goal for a drummer is good solid time and good sound.
They have to get that as soon as possible.
Time is easy, sound is not... whereas it should be the
other way round, you'd think.

Lessons to 'crack' both... and get a teacher that can walk them
through 'counting' ...