Why become a member? ×

Precision type bass volume control. Always on full?

interpol52

I have a P bass and just put the volume on full all of the time. Does anyone know of any tone benefits or drawbacks of having the volume at less than full?

I just wonder sometimes why a single pickup bass such as a Precision would have a master volume. I get it when basses have separate pickup volume. Can anyone enlighten me? Am I dim and missing a trick?! It is highly likely...

One of my projects (long term lol) is a bitsa bass. No volume, no tone, just a pickup blend control. With passive basses I just run them full on. I now have a Warwick Corvette (bought via this very forum) and the tone control seems to do something useful - a new revelation in 40+ years bass playing.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422575127' post='2674361']
The volume control is to turn the bass down either a little, or completely to zero, depending on needs. Of course, if that's never needed, one could do without. You're the player; it's your call.
[/quote]

Yeah I just wondered if anyone used it to shape their overall sound or tone. I automatically reach for the volume on my amp head if I want to make adjustments, I have no idea why!

I always have volume and tone up full on a passive P bass. It's the only way to get full output from the pickup. I had to learn how to use an active bass and get my sounds from a tone circuit, it's a completely different kettle of weasels. In either case I always set my volume from the amp anyway, because it's what I'm used to. Some people have their P pickup wired direct to the output jack and the control knobs are redundant. Makes sense to me.

If I'm not playing in a section of music I'll often turn my volume fully down. Just to play safe.

I imagine it was probably useful when most gear wasn't at the standard it is now (P-bass came out in the '50s) and buzzing/various noise problems was maybe more of an issue. Like old lighting rigs causing RF interference and such. No output from bass = no/less background noise. A couple of places I play at have dimmer packs that kick out a lot of RF which can play havoc with your pick-ups.

It could also be used as a gain control to clean up/overdrive valve amps etc.

It could also be used for volume swells, which sounds nice every now and then. :)

I find it handy anyway!

Edited by Ben Jamin

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
Always full up on a Precision for me. But the knob can be useful in the first tune if I've had to guess the master volume setting because we haven't had a soundcheck. Which is often.

Also good for delicately rolling off the last note as the cymbals die away... a professional little touch which I'm confident invariably goes unnoticed. [/font][/color]

I guess it depends what P bass-pickup combo you have.
I have a 51 RI Precision that I put a Lindy Fralin pickup in and the sound really changes a lot when you play with the volume pot.
I guess it's a very hot pick-up, it's almost like a pre-amp or overdrive knob!
My other P-basses are always on full or then off when on standby.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1422583428' post='2674405']
As far as I'm concerned, an on/off switch would be just as useful on a P bass... or an active bass, come to that!
[/quote]

I always put my Korg Pitchblack tuner in the signal chain and use it as an 'on/off' button... and obviously it's intended purpose too!

Volume knob on my EBMM Stingray only has any effect in the last 20% of its travel. Next to useless, its more of a mute than a control! Which is why its full on up when i'm playing & wound back when i'm not. Got used to doing it & now use it as more of a mental switch, part of my concentration routine.

Wary of sounding like a numpty...

I have my vol at about 75% and adjust my amp to give the vol I need. I have the capacity to adjust for so boosted moments. Also I find that I need to boost a little if I am on the bridge J-style pickup. [Do I need to adjust pickup heights?]

As regards the tone, then I adjust it a lot depending on what song I'm playing, like roll off the tone for older style songs, or roll off if using a plectrum.

Context for this is I'm playing covers and the band has a wide variety of songs and styles, so I don't have the same settings throughout the set list.

On my amp, I have a footswitch operated mute, but also turn the vol right down at the end of sets, sessions, etc. Just have the habit formed to check that the vol is up. I use the Mute on the BH250 and built-in tuner or now with my new BX700 a tuner pedal.

Edited by vsmith1

full on for volume and tone, I use the much better amp or FX controls to alter the sound, lets face it the signal from a passive pick is weedy enough without making it weaker IMO obviously, once read some where that Mike Dirnt bypassed his controls for this reason.
As for turning the volume down between songs, our guitarist does this, I've lost count of the number of times he's forgot to turn it back up again.

With regard to muting between songs and so on, I do this by holding the strings with my left hand. I also tend to use the same settings throughout a set and change the tone where necessary by alternating between fingers and pick, or plucking at different positions between neck and bridge with the right hand, fretting/muting differently with the left hand, palm muting, and so on. I'm a great believer in the old 'it's all in the fingers' adage.

And anything that takes fiddling with EQ, control knobs, pedals or scrotum out of the equation is all to the good, imho. Playing live is chaotic enough as it is without unnecessarily adding to the mayhem and making life difficult for yourself. IMHO, obviously. YMMV.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1422614105' post='2674568'] On most Precisions, the first thing to go when you start to roll off the volume is a bit of top end. So yes, you can alter the tone with just the volume knob. [/quote]
indeed, I find the tone knob useful, the volume knob less so other than an as a mute for unplugging or somesuch

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1422610318' post='2674505'] Wary of sounding like a numpty... I have my vol at about 75% and adjust my amp to give the vol I need. I have the capacity to adjust for so boosted moments. Also I find that I need to boost a little if I am on the bridge J-style pickup. [Do I need to adjust pickup heights?] As regards the tone, then I adjust it a lot depending on what song I'm playing, like roll off the tone for older style songs, or roll off if using a plectrum. Context for this is I'm playing covers and the band has a wide variety of songs and styles, so I don't have the same settings throughout the set list. On my amp, I have a footswitch operated mute, but also turn the vol right down at the end of sets, sessions, etc. Just have the habit formed to check that the vol is up. I use the Mute on the BH250 and built-in tuner or now with my new BX700 a tuner pedal. [/quote] I'm in a similar situation everything up on the bass is full blow rock out tone. I ease off volume, blend the P&J and roll back the tone for the more classic rock numbers Bowie, Stones etc and if I want the bass to be less dominant in the overall sound.

Volume always on full. If I need to be a bit quieter/louder I`ll hit the strings accordingly. Easier than twiddling the volume control and not getting it in the right place, so then having the wrong volume for the rest of the song/gig.