Why become a member? ×

Precision type bass volume control. Always on full?

interpol52

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1422599494' post='2674423']
Useful for home practice with a TH500 so I don't have to fine tune the amp vol knobs down to their 'only just on' point. Otherwise full.
[/quote]

That's the only reason I ever turn the volume down too. Otherwise it's full whack always, I have this niggling feeling that I am not getting the most out of the pickups if I don't have it on full!

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1422577621' post='2674381']
I'm an always up full kind of guy too.

I do wonder though if anyone uses their volume knob to clean up a driven valve amp sound, as I believe our guitarist cousins are wont to do?
[/quote]

I used to do that when I used an old Carlsbro head. Just a master volume knob - no input gain control, and my Westone Thunder with the volume right up would sound overdriven. Back the volume off a bit, so it stayed clean normally. Dig in a bit for a nice bit of grind.

Volume full on, tone rolled back a 8th when I had my '57 RI. My '75 was full on for both. Always use the volume to mute between numbers though. I think a kill switch and no tone knob would be the way to go for me. Just turn the fekker up full and then remove the tone control. Do any tone changes on the amp's eq or effects pedals.

Knobs on a bass confuse me. The less, the better.

Edited by Bassman Sam