Why become a member? ×

Rebop or euro advice please

Damonjames

Hi all,

Ok so I already have a really nice euro, which I love, but in my current band we use lots of alternate tuning for our set. I normally carry three basses, the euro being one of them I have decided that I can probably get away with just two, so am moving the others on and have this dilemma now.
I can get another euro and just share the work between the two, or get a rebop and have some more options tonally between the two. Given the stuff we do, one will be set up for standard tuning with a Hipshot for drop d, the other will be set for Db tuning.
My only concern is the nexk profile of the rebop, I much prefer a jazz profile and get nervouse when I hear people refer to the rebop necks as "chunky"

Advice please???

Edited by Damonjames

I love the sound of the Rebops but found them to be a bit impractical in use as they are massively unbalanced. The body is tiny, even smaller than the Euro, and very lightweight. It's not just the neck dive but the whole weight distribution feels a bit off.
That said, I still fancy another one. Very aggressive sound.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1422622649' post='2674710']
I always thought they were the same body???
[/quote]

The Rebops are narrower, for some reason I can't fathom. The 'waist' looks a bit more pinched. I would love them a lot more if they had the usual body shape. They would look a little less odd too.

Rebop's never did much to me but I love the Euros, I currently have a few of them (5 and 6 string)
If I were you I'd buy another Euro4. You1ll get better pu's, NT design and ballance. Maybe would look around and source a pre-LX Euro with full maple wings.
That will sound a bit different than the current ones. (more bite)
There is one from the SSD era in the classifieds. (no affiliation)

No, there is an SSD era NS4CR in the for sale section here.
There is also an SSD NS5CR for sale ebay and facebook. It's a lovely blue colour. Unfortunately the 4 string is in Poland, and I don't need a euro 5 right now.
I have found a euro LX for sale nearby at a god price, and someone who frequents these pages has potentially offered theirs up for sale also.
Also found a pre lx euro which would be the preferred choice to be honest, but no one wants trades and until I can love my two basses I am stuck!!

Edited by Damonjames

• 2 months later...

are the rebops really that bad, as i'm looking to upgrade from my ibby and i can possibly stretch to a rebop but a euro, as much as i'd like one, is well out of my range,
thomman have the rebop for 870! ok theres no choice of colours but i like black so everyones a winner

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429809388' post='2755235']
Also where does the cheaper Spector Legend fit into the equation?
[/quote]
good point, though i think that they are probably on a par with my ibby, the bodies look flatter than the rebop or euro and the pickups and electrics are different no idea about the sound though

I jumped at the amazingly low price for the ReBop on Thomann a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it - saved around £250 on the cheapest UK price for this bass!

But I have a sneaking feeling that Spector are discontinuing the ReBop 5 DLX; as their website now only shows the MM version? By the way - my ReBop appears to be fitted with EMG DC active pickups rather than the HZ passive pickups listed in the spec for this bass.

Anyway - this is my first 5-string after 30+ years as a dedicated 4-stringer (or so I thought). My most played 4-string bass is an Ibanez SR600 - noted for its incredibly slim neck, but I have had no problems adjusting to the neck on the ReBop - in fact I'm playing a full gig with it tonight. Perhaps it is a little neck-heavy - but I've played basses that have a lot worse neck-dive than this (my Westone Thunder III for example) and it's easily managed by using a suede-backed strap.

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1429948784' post='2756528']
I jumped at the amazingly low price for the ReBop on Thomann a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it - saved around £250 on the cheapest UK price for this bass!

But I have a sneaking feeling that Spector are discontinuing the ReBop 5 DLX; as their website now only shows the MM version? By the way - my ReBop appears to be fitted with EMG DC active pickups rather than the HZ passive pickups listed in the spec for this bass.

Anyway - this is my first 5-string after 30+ years as a dedicated 4-stringer (or so I thought). My most played 4-string bass is an Ibanez SR600 - noted for its incredibly slim neck, but I have had no problems adjusting to the neck on the ReBop - in fact I'm playing a full gig with it tonight. Perhaps it is a little neck-heavy - but I've played basses that have a lot worse neck-dive than this (my Westone Thunder III for example) and it's easily managed by using a suede-backed strap.
[/quote]
nice one, exactly my thoughts
which one did you go for? the gloss or matt?
and need to see pictures

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1430124329' post='2758069']
nice one, exactly my thoughts
which one did you go for? the gloss or matt?
and need to see pictures
[/quote]

I went for the gloss black stain version - absolutely beautiful finish on it that attracts favourable comments from the guitarists in my band every time they set eyes on it(praise indeed!) Will post photos of it on BC as soon as I can, but first need to get my head around the technicalities of how to do that. :(

By the way - before buying it I was dubious about the lack of a mid-boost on most Spector basses, as on my Ibanez the mid-boost is so useful in making sure the bass cuts through when there's too much sonic mush from the guitars and drums. I really needn't have worried, as this Spector ReBop DLX has a naturally mid-rich tone - especially when favouring the bridge pickup slightly.

I now have GAS for a ReBop DLX 4-stringer, but maybe it's just as well that I can't find a new one on sale at a similarly discounted price anywhere. :)

the sound clips i've heard of the rebop are slightly mid rich , bit of growl and loads of bite, ive always like the tone of some warwicks but cant afford them at all and the rebop seems similar to them, and i like the tone of the bass on crytopsy and between the buried and me (though thats his signiture bass) so anything close would be good. I like my ibanez but its a little bit tame and i want a grown up bass

Edited by lowhand_mike