Why become a member? ×

Electronic Drums

Happy Jack

A few years back I was kitting out my new rehearsal space, and volume was going to be an issue. So I bought a really nice set of Roland V-Drums from Nige (xlddx) in a trade involving my Status Vintage GP Artist

Please note - I do NOT play drums. At all.

My plan was only for them to be used at rehearsals, a drummer with a volume knob, and I was aware that the kit I'd bought was a bit OTT for that.

Paul the Drums (in the Junkyard Dogs) saw them as a bit of a novelty item, quite fun to play in the studio but obviously you'd never gig with them. Drummers in other bands I played with were impressed with the quality, but nit-picked about the 'bounce' of the sticks and the fact that you couldn't, e.g. use brushes with them.

Fast forward to now.

The Dogs now play about as many live gigs using the leccy kit as using the live drums. We have seven gigs between now and the end of March. Four of them will be with the leccy kit, and in at least one of those four we only got the gig precisely because we DO have a leccy kit. That was also certainly the case with our high-paying NYE gig last month.

[i][If you want to hear the kit in action, click on the Junkyard Dogs link in my sig, and come along to any of the Halfway House, the George Inn, or the Chiswick Club Society.][/i]

Leccy kit gigs take up less space when playing, and MUCH less space while setting up and breaking down. The load-in & load-out are far easier too. Venues with a sound limiter are a doddle, and we can get (and keep) a better balance across the band at any gig.

Paul the Drums no longer complains at all; he sees it as just another string to his bow. Other drummers are far more enthusiastic.

We used the leccy kit at maybe 15 gigs in 2014. We had not one negative comment from a landlord, punter, or fellow muso in the audience.

I'm no fan of axing live drum kits, and I enjoy playing alongside them as much as anyone. But similarly I'm no fan of axing proper double basses, yet I play at least half my DB gigs on a Baby Bass. You do what the gig needs, and increasingly these days the gig needs a band with a volume control ... especially one for the drummer.

Edited for correct bass trade!

Edited by Happy Jack

Nice post, Jack! This isn't a reaction to a certain audition thread, is it?? :D

I've been angling to get a set of leccy drums for young master discreet - so that I can play with them! But he's more interested in a PlayStation. I'm sure this situation will change as he gets older - not too much older though obviously, or I'll be too demented. :crazy:

Great post. I love leccy kits.

The drummer in my last band used one for recording but wouldn't use one live which was a real shame.

@discreet get him the PS and also one of the "rock band" style games that comes with a drum kit. Playing and learning at the same time!

I totally agree with the above. One thing I really like about having an electronic kit live is the on stage volume is reduced. The back line can come down and I dont have to wear ear plugs.

Walking out front I have been impressed with the band sound everytime.

I just bought the Roland TD11KV kit in January, for me to keep up my old chops and for Mini-Hands to learn on in a house whose neighbours wouldn't appreciate the whole live kit banging away. I have to say it is fantastic so far. I think I might try and mod the fixed hi-hat with separate pedal for a real stand at some point, but it's only a minor niggle in the grand scheme of things. I managed to get some free extra kit patches from Roland and I think one of them is so good I would be tempted to play it live... if I ever did drum gigs any more!

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1422619079' post='2674654']
One thing I really like about having an electronic kit live is the on stage volume is reduced. The back line can come down and I dont have to wear ear plugs. Walking out front I have been impressed with the band sound everytime.
[/quote]

This is also my experience. It is a shame that many drummers are so unwilling to use electronic kits. I understand how different they feel to "proper" kits, but they offer so many advantages too...

Our drummer only has a electric kit he has access to an acoustic kit when needed at the rehearsal room, but for everything we've done an electric has been great no awful painful ears at rehearsals . I'm sure there are some snob's who sniff at them but I think its working amazingly well

Adjustable volumes , modes to give brush sounds , loads of different drum tones , Im sure some of the early electric basses were frowned apon by upright players ... but in the end its somtimes just a little more convenient than to mic up an upright.

Edited by synthaside

Ditto all above, no level problems, same sound every gig, means our backline is now reduced to pedalboards and pre amps, and we are all on in ears (nearly, the drummer is on click on phones and mix on a wedge, which is the loudest thing on stage).
FOH sounds much much nicer with no direct amp sound, especially in small places and I think some landlords and barstaff really appreciate not having their ears destroyed every weekend.
However.... : 0
They look a bit crap. scaffold rubber and cable isn't very sexy.(Yes Discreet,except you..)
What I'm angling for now, is a hybrid kit, with basic kick snare rack floor, with a couple of mesh head pads, and a couple of triggers for the kick and snare.
This would give you a full acoustic kit, with all the skin dynamics you get with that and enough pads and triggers for an electronic/urban kit.
Bit more fiddly etc but it would only be used at weddings and parties where the cash and setup time was adequate.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1422623332' post='2674725']
What I'm angling for now, is a hybrid kit, with basic kick snare rack floor, with a couple of mesh head pads, and a couple of triggers for the kick and snare.
This would give you a full acoustic kit, with all the skin dynamics you get with that and enough pads and triggers for an electronic/urban kit.
Bit more fiddly etc but it would only be used at weddings and parties where the cash and setup time was adequate.
[/quote]

Something like this?

[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/danny-carey-set-up_zpsghp1v9cg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/RhysP/danny-carey-set-up_zpsghp1v9cg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

:)

What I'm angling for now, is a hybrid kit, with basic kick snare rack floor, with a couple of mesh head pads, and a couple of triggers for the kick and snare. This would give you a full acoustic kit, with all the skin dynamics you get with that and enough pads and triggers for an electronic/urban kit.
[/quote]

I think hybrid electronic kits that look like 'real' drums is probably how it will go.
Less convenient than a pure leccy kit, but looks the part...

[url="http://www.e-prolive.com/"]http://www.e-prolive.com/[/url]

Edited by discreet

However.... : 0
They look a bit crap. scaffold rubber and cable isn't very sexy.(Yes Discreet,except you..)
[/quote]

In a previous band that used a lot of technology live we had a drummer who had what looked like a traditional acoustic kit, except all the shells were completely damped and fitted with bugs to trigger the drum sounds and samples we used. Interestingly of the three drummers that band had, all of whom used an electronic kit of some description, he was the one that audiences though that the best drum sound despite the fact that all of them were triggering exactly the same sounds - the other 2 just had kits that were far more obviously pads rather than "real" drums. Just goes to prove that 15 years ago people were still mostly listening with their eyes.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422627847' post='2674812']
I think hybrid electronic kits that look like 'real' drums is probably how it will go.
Less convenient than a pure leccy kit, but looks the part...

[url="http://www.e-prolive.com/"]http://www.e-prolive.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Alex Van Halen has been doing that since the early 80s.

Check out "Scary Clown College" on you tube my Singer / drummer uses one , I think it sounds great . Its a Roland td10 I think , The only thing I don't like about it is that I would have expected the wires to be built into the frame & it takes longer to set up than it should .