Why become a member? ×

Swapping Jazz Bass pickups - advice needed!

Conan

It looks like at least one of the pickups in my J&D J bass has packed in :(

I've contacted the store I bought it from (DV247) to see what their thoughts on a replacement are, but am still to hear back from them... :angry: Even if they do replace the bass, I think I would still like to put a different set of pickups in - probably Entwistles.

But there lies the problem. I have always handed my basses to Howard the Bass Doc for modding work and have never learned how to do these things myself! :blush:

How difficult is it to remove one set of J pickups and replace them with a different set? There seems to be a lot of wires in there and I have no idea what any of them do (other than carry current of course!). I hear/read terms like "hot" and "ground" but I don't know what they mean... :blink:

Is there a good online or paper resource that will guide me through this daunting process?

Edited by Conan

the seymour duncan website has some really good clear diagrams, if you want some help i'm in newcastle and have swapped a fair few pickups on guitars and basses over the years, be happy to guide you through the process over a cup of coffee.

Matt

EDIT- just noticed that you're a Teacher at the Acadamy, i live not far from the morrisons at cowgate so possibly you could drop in on your way home one evening.

Edited by Matt P

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1422621648' post='2674697']
the seymour duncan website has some really good clear diagrams, if you want some help i'm in newcastle and have swapped a fair few pickups on guitars and basses over the years, be happy to guide you through the process over a cup of coffee.

Matt
[/quote]

That's extremely helpful and kind of you Matt! :)

Ironically, I have just heard from DV247 who sound like they will be replacing or repairing the particular bass I had in mind - so I will have to wait and see what they offer. Either way, I will be swapping out the pickups, but might have to wait a little while until it is returned or replaced. Once I know, I'll drop you a PM! B)