Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris the best say Metal Hammer

sbrag

I saw this on Facebook today.
http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-30/steve-harris-voted-world-s-greatest-bassist
I have no problem with the result as I wanted to be Steve Harris 25 years ago when I got my first bass. What surprises me though is that this list could have been published in the early 90s when I was a regular reader. The only exceptions being paul gray and jaco (not metal enough) wouldn't have got a mention back then. Have no noteworthy rock/metal bass players come though or is it always the legends that will top these lists?

I have no problem with Steve being named say most influential metal bass player, and he certainly has been responsible for some great stuff, I have been and remain a fan of the band and the Man since the start, but worlds greatest, NO, But these type of lists generally are a bit......., there is no such thing as world greatest as there are so many different styles, tastes and most important, opinions. No Trujillo, No Marcel Jacob, I could add so many to the list..... No Phil !!!!

Edited by Lynottfan

my point was more that in 20 to 30 years the names haven't changed much at all certainly about 7 would be mainstays harris lee butler burton etc. I was just surprised there hadn't been more variation and younger players coming in.

Here's the top 10.

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Les Claypool (Primus)
Paul Gray (Slipknot)
Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report)
John Myung (Dream Theater)
Justin Chancellor (Tool)
Lemmy (Motörhead)H

Well seeing that it is a magazine for mostly teenagers & not really a bassists mag, there's no guitarists been named. :P

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422644132' post='2675154']
Eh, opinions.
[/quote]

Yep. And lists. Statistics. Bah! More time wasted not playing the bass! ;)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1422744977' post='2676464']
Justin Chancellor (Tool)
[/quote]

I've no idea who Justin Chancellor is, but I don't think it's very nice to call him a tool on a public forum. :blink:

Edited by discreet

How can you make any popularity list? It's all down to taste, innit? Even influence. How can you say this guy was more influential than this guy? Granted, you can say someone is hugely influential, but how influential is anyone's guess. I mean Steve Harris was influential to me, as was Geddy, but I would say, Geezer Butler wasn't cos they were a bit before my time. I know that he was influential to some people though.

I just find these lists a bit off. Fair enough if it's going by sales of albums, but I've never been asked in a poll or anything!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1422816106' post='2677134']
I didn't know the genre or the magazine still existed! Jaco metal? No Cliff Williams? No David Ellefson?
[/quote]

Ooh, forgot Cliff, he was very influential to my playing. Mainly cos I could do it! ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1422645385' post='2675179']
I can't help but think Paul Gray only gets a mention because he sadly passed away a couple of years ago. I can honestly say I've never actually heard his playing. Fieldy from Korn would have made more sense, even if his style rubs some bassists up the wrong way!
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, whether you like or hate what Fieldy does, it's a defining part of Korn's sound. I genuinely like some of Slipknot's stuff but never felt the bass defined or contributed to the sound in a big way, Paul Gray (RIP) was a solid player but objectively he seems oddly out of place in that top ten.

Edited by Subbeh

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hmmmm, I think Entwistle and Sheehan might have something to say about the list! [/font][/color][/quote]

I doubt whether Entwistle's saying much these days to be honest!

I always wonder why people do these lists as they're utterly pointless and no people will ever agree. Maybe that's why they do them :)

Opinions are like ar*eholes, everyone's got one....