Why become a member? ×

POLL!

Skol303

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]As you may know, once a month myself and a few others sneak up like a bad smell and start spamming you all about voting in the Composition Challenge, hosted in the Recording forum.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Some of you listen and vote; most of you don’t.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]We want to know why. And particularly, whether there’s anything we could be doing better to get you interested in the music-making side of the Basschat community.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]So here’s a quick poll to gauge everyone’s opinion. And for once, it doesn’t involve listening to stuff! ;)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=5]Please be brutally honest and post any additional feedback below. All comments gratefully received.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Cheers [/size] :drinks: [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[/size][/font]

I have heard of the composition challenge but in all my near two years being on this site i think ive noticed posts about it maybe 4 times.
I don't know if that just me missing it or the challenge is not mentioned enough and not a big of a deal is made of it.

I think the recording section/share music section in general should be brought upwards to the top of the main page it might encourage more people to go in there.

Just a thought.

Aware, but don't get involved at all, composing or listening/voting. I've just never made the time because I'm a selfish, lazy so-and-so. I'm also too busy pouring whatever creative efforts I do come up with into songs for my band. I don't know what would make me get involved. Me being less lazy would be a good start. It's nothing you're doing wrong, and I don't think there's anything you can do to put a virtual hoof up my backside either. Sorry.

Having entered on a few occasions and being a regular listener and voter it slightly baffles me why the challenge isn't better supported on this forum - however, I think BassChat is all about GEAR and/or subjects other than GEAR that have nothing at all to do with bass playing, such as those seen in Off Topic and General Discussion - which is all well and good of course, but... :)

Oh, and GAS. There's a [i]lot [/i]of GAS. Leading to the viewing and procurement of GEAR. MORE GEAR!!

Edited by discreet

I couldn't do the survey, there wasn't a space for my answers, apart from the first, so:

1: Yes I heard of it
2: I hear about it if I go through the list of new posts and it is there in the list (I never look at forums individually)
3: I have voted, when I have seen it
4: noticing there is a challenge
5: more talent

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422639363' post='2675077']
5: more talent
[/quote]

A fair comment - I'm sure some members may think they're simply not good enough, but it's a forum competition, not the Ivor Novello Awards. And having listened over the months and years it's obvious that competing improves one's skills for sure! The improvement across the board is obvious. But that doesn't explain why more people don't listen and vote.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1422639925' post='2675089']
Honestly I think people have got better things to do than trawl through a bunch of low quality, bass heavy recordings.
[/quote]

Obviously then you haven't listened recently as the entries are neither low quality or bass heavy!

I do take your point about trawling though, I think a maximum run time of five minutes is probably too long - though most entries aren't actually that long. Perhaps a reduction in maximum run time to two-and-a-half minutes would make the challenge easier to listen to - it would certainly make it easier to contribute to if potential entrants don't think they have to come up with a concept album.

Remember how very early vinyl 7" records restricted play time to three-and-a-half minutes each side?
No, nor do I - but that's what created the noble craft of the pop song...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422640253' post='2675092']
Obviously then you haven't listened recently as the entries are neither low quality or bass heavy!

I do take your point about trawling though, I think a maximum run time of five minutes is probably too long - though most entries aren't actually that long. Perhaps a reduction in maximum run time to two-and-a-half minutes would make the challenge easier to listen to - it would certainly make it easier to contribute to if potential entrants don't think they have to come up with a concept album.

Remember how very early vinyl 7" records restricted play time to three-and-a-half minutes each side?
No, nor do I - but that's what created the noble craft of the pop song...
[/quote]

I don't mean the playing is low quality, I tried listening to them once some of them were hard to hear.

I've heard of it and even voted a couple of times, but honestly I often enough just forget it's there. I don't always come online regularly and when I do I usually just check a couple of forums and don't even scroll down as far as Recording. I have noted before that I like seeing a thread about it in General Discussion, but even then I usually miss the time frame. On the last one I voted "not interesting in making music" but actually I am, I'm just still quite new to the whole thing and the amount of time it would take to compose a song would be prohibitive. I'd get no time to practice anything else!

I'd better go vote for the January challenge now, eh? :P

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1422638989' post='2675067']
Aware, but don't get involved at all, composing or listening/voting. I've just never made the time because I'm a selfish, lazy so-and-so. I'm also too busy pouring whatever creative efforts I do come up with into songs for my band. I don't know what would make me get involved. Me being less lazy would be a good start. It's nothing you're doing wrong, and I don't think there's anything you can do to put a virtual hoof up my backside either. Sorry.
[/quote]

+1

Oh, nearly forgot, there's also a bit of bitterness on my part. I shared music once in the appropriate forum and despite following the rules and offering my thoughts on a couple of the other posts I got diddly squat back. Nothing, not even a "hopeless, you should give up". It was up for about a month. I asked for my thread to be deleted. So I'm not particularly predisposed to participating in stuff because of that. Petty and childish, perhaps, but it peed me off.

Clicked the "I don't think anything would encourage me to vote" as I had to fill one in for that question in order to vote in the poll but none of them were really relevant.

I would take part if I had means to record music! I know how to (at least to a certain amateurish standard) but just don't have the equipment.

Edited by Cameronj279

I think that is part of the problem. The challenge is billed as composition, but it's just as much a recording one, which I think puts off people who don't have the facilities or skills to make a recording they believe can compete with what has been produced before.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422643676' post='2675145']
I think that is part of the problem. The challenge is billed as composition, but it's just as much a recording one, which I think puts off people who don't have the facilities or skills to make a recording they believe can compete with what has been produced before.
[/quote]

[center]Poor, poor people. What [i]are[/i] they going to do?[/center]
[center] [/center]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422643676' post='2675145']
[/quote]
most people on here have access to a computer or tablet that can host a digital audio workstation, the skills are not particularly difficult, but do need the will to want to learn
[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1422643937' post='2675151']
Just had a quick look, it'd take half hour to listen to them all, I'm not sure many people would have that kind of time.
[/quote]

aquick scan through as you were surfing through BC with headphones on , 20 seconds each if it doesnt grab move on , you night find something you like and could throw a vote at
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422644177' post='2675155']
[center]Poor, poor people. What [i]are[/i] they going to do?[/center]
[center][/center]
[/quote]

not really necessary Nige , if Skol can't ask for honest opinions without getting piss taking responses then he is wasting his time . If people don't want to or can't participate or vote for ANY reason that is their perogative , if we can make the thing more inclusive all the better .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422645402' post='2675180']
most people on here have access to a computer or tablet that can host a digital audio workstation, the skills are not particularly difficult, but do need the will to want to learn

aquick scan through as you were surfing through BC with headphones on , 20 seconds each if it doesnt grab move on , you night find something you like and could throw a vote at

[b]not really necessary Nige , if Skol can't ask for honest opinions without getting piss taking responses then he is wasting his time . If people don't want to or can't participate or vote for ANY reason that is their perogative , if we can make the thing more inclusive all the better .[/b]
[/quote]

Fair comment, Sorry BRX.

I vote every month - really doesn't take that long, as I'm sure most people can work out in just a few bars if a track is going to work for them or not. Every month I find at least one track that I genuinely like, this month there were four that I thought were great (and all very different from each other).

Only negative - I don't like the photo concept, and a few times tracks I felt were musically weak won (or at least got votes) due to being closely linked to the picture at the expense of far better compositions.

Constructive suggestion - as the time thing seems to be an issue, is there a way a dedicated Soundcloud page could be put up with all the tracks in one place, rather than going back to each individual link?

Keep up the excellent work Skol303 and all the participants!

Mike