Why become a member? ×

Best Recorded Bass Tone and Mix?

lowendgalore

Soo as it says.... Im talking tone only here, not anything to do with playing... Just the tone and the mix! What tracks stand out for you? You can list the engineer and bass player if you fancy!

Im gonna start with one saying i listened to the album from the film Ratatouille and a song called "Le Festin" and it stood out to me, the bass tone is lovely and phat and fluffy and so well defined! Of course... Abe Laboriel played on it which could have part to do with it! But yeah sounded good!

Needless to say- YouTube quality usually doesnt cut it for tone analysing ! Haha

Edited by lowendgalore

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1422666410' post='2675545']
[b]People will probably laug[/b]h, but for me my favourite bass tone is Mark Hoppus and Blink 182 'Whats My Age Again' and Nate Mendal's in the intro to Foo Fighters 'My Hero'.

Both make me want to pick up the bass!
[/quote]

Not at all, simple doesn't mean it doesn't kick arse. My Hero especially, Dave trashing that kit and Nate's bass line is just a fantastic intro.

Matt Freeman at his toe tapping best, nothing flash, solid ska line for the verse and a catchy as *&%$ chorus, so much fun to play. Love his tone and the way it sits in the mix.

[media]http://youtu.be/DhKHAopx7D0[/media]

Most of the songs on the Foo Fighters Wasting Light album have a killer bass tone. There's a lovely depth to Nate Mendel's bass that underpins the songs, but it cuts through a treat too. The whole thing is really well mixed. Butch Vig at his best, again.

Kim Deal's tone on dig for fire, that is just beautiful! The Pixies as a band always had a great mix. Sounds like her Aria Cardinal bass on this particular track, although she used a P around this era too.

JJ Burnell on Hanging around, but any rock bass that's sits in the mix so I can actually hear it, it's so often buried so deep the only way I can figure out what they're doing is to raise it 2 octaves, the upside being you can just does bash away on the root and get away with it

This album has one of my favourite bass tones ever recorded:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmjgSqKMzpg[/media]

Jump to about 15:00 for a fine bit to sample.

Obviously youTube does it's best to kill the mix.

Edited by bartelby