Why become a member? ×

Buying from Europe :: £ strong against the euro

largo

With the prospect of getting more Euro's for the pound should I be looking at buying my next piece of gear from a European company rather than UK? 1000 EUR was about £850 last year, this year it's closer to £750.

I don't mind supporting my local music shop, but if they don't have (or can't get) what I'm after then what does matter which online store I buy from. Times are tight, so I'd rather have £100 in my pocket.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1422700316' post='2675729']
With the prospect of getting more Euro's for the pound should I be looking at buying my next piece of gear from a European company rather than UK? 1000 EUR was about £850 last year, this year it's closer to £750.

I don't mind supporting my local music shop, but if they don't have (or can't get) what I'm after then what does matter which online store I buy from. Times are tight, so I'd rather have £100 in my pocket.

I'd be interested to see what others think.
[/quote]

Need to watch pricing trends carefully - the prices on one major European made brand being sold by a very large European online retailer have quietly risen over the last two weeks.

Some products actually rose above UK main dealer prices last week. . .

Interesting this. I've just pre ordered a new Steve Harris. After a lot of should I/shouldn't I.
The chances of getting one within 40 miles of Wigan are very low, even after they arrive for UK release.
Cheapest UK pre order I could find was £948.
Thomann pre order last Monday, £851.
Thomann pre order today, £812

I have bitten the bullet.
Will be interesting to see what happens with delivery in April, in terms of price.
Cheers,Karl.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1422702969' post='2675767']
Need to watch pricing trends carefully - the prices on one major European made brand being sold by a very large European online retailer have quietly risen over the last two weeks.

Some products actually rose above UK main dealer prices last week. . .
[/quote] I don't think it's great for UK bass players to be honest - for a few months/years european based shops with good customer service undercut UK based shops on certain items, it's the local UK shops who's margins are squeezed and who either stock less bass stuff or go under.
A few years later the euro recovers and suddenly we don't have stockists for a lot of the major brands outside london, everyday shops carry only one or two brands of bass, and in low numbers and our online superstores in germany aren't as cheap as they were.....