Why become a member? ×

Kramer 450B pitfalls?

floFC

I have seen a Kramer 450B in a shop a couple of weeks ago, tried it, and really liked it. Called the other day and it's still there and I am now, well you know, kinda thinking I may want to buy it.
It's in good enough nick, some scratches, obviously, one walnut pickup surround missing, one of the knobs is free spinning (the pot is fine) and scratchy pots but looks all original and in full working order.
The neck pocket is not very tight and the body side of the joint is a mm too wide or mis-aligned - this seems quite common from some of the pictures I have seen on the net. I think someone here said something along the lines of "Kramer tolerances are not great". There is also a hairline crack on both sides of the joint, about 1.5cm.
I think they are asking a bit too much for it, but I am not really sure what a fair price would be as I don't think one has sold here for a while and eBay only has sold ones in the US. Any pointers for a UK price?
Are the cracks around the neck a definite no-no? What else should I look for if I go and see it again?

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1422723301' post='2676108']
One thing worth checking is if the neck is straight. Some of the Alu necked basses bend under string tension over the years...and you won't be able to straighten them. The neck pocket on my Kramer isn't tight either...but they are lovely basses.
[/quote]
Ah yes that's a very good point.