Why become a member? ×

Difference between Line6 G50 and XD-V30L

Delberthot

I've [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line-6-xd-v30l-digital-wireless-beltpack-system-with-lavalier-microphone/41310"]just[/url] spotted this which looks like a G30/50 transmitter with a different receiver

Would this work with bass just by getting a jack to TRS cable?

They're doing them at GAK for £99 compared to £129 for the G30

Looks very interesting. It would appear that both use the same beltpack transmitter, TBP06, so it must just be the receivers that are different. The G30 being made to put on a pedalboard.

The connection information is somewhat confusing. The web site says a "TS" jack whereas the manual says "TRS" and gives the following pinout details.

Tip = Signal
Ring = Bias Voltage, +5v
Sleeve = Ground

Unless they have some sort of protection putting a normal TS jack into it will short the 5v straight to ground. Not particularly well thought out.

doesn't seem to be any kind of gain setting on the beltpack or transmitter so you may find the signal from your bass is actually too hot for the pack as its designed to work with a lav mic which would need more gain

in theory yes if you can get the right connectors it could work however in reality i could see you running into gain issues

for the sake of £30 its probably not worth it imo

Edited by Chrismanbass

There rarely is a gain setting on digital packs - they don't need them.

That actually looks like a TA4F connector in the pic too... so it's a bit misleading whether it's a jack or a mini xlr connector. It could be the case that the lav mic actually has a 1/4" mic on the end - but I would be surprised.

Shure's system for example, use the TA4F connector irrespective of whether the transmitter is being used for guitar (in which case it will be a T4F connector to 1/4" jack) or lav mic - which will have the TA4F connector on. I can't image for one minute that Line6 would build this transmitter with two input connector types... so the answer is... who knows?

Edited - for correct connector type! Thanks OBBM.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1422752435' post='2676543']

That actually looks like a TA3F connector in the pic too... so it's a bit misleading whether it's a jack or a mini xlr connector. It could be the case that the lav mic actually has a 1/4" mic on the end - but I would be surprised.

Shure's system for example, use the TA3F connector irrespective of whether the transmitter is being used for guitar (in which case it will be a TA3F connector to 1/4" jack) or lav mic - which will have the TA3F connector on. I can't image for one minute that Line6 would build this transmitter with two input connector types... so the answer is... who knows?
[/quote]

The photo is the OP's link very misleading showing a TA type connector when it should be a TRS jack. Details are on the Line 6 Web Site and in the User manuals which are all on-line.

The bottom of the range of the Line 6 systems have always used jacks for the transmitter input. The remainder use TA4F connectors the same as Shure and Ashdown. Only AKG use the TA3F.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1422778406' post='2676589']
The photo is the OP's link very misleading showing a TA type connector when it should be a TRS jack. Details are on the Line 6 Web Site and in the User manuals which are all on-line.

The bottom of the range of the Line 6 systems have always used jacks for the transmitter input. The remainder use TA4F connectors the same as Shure and Ashdown. Only AKG use the TA3F.
[/quote]

Sorry - you are quite right TA4F not TA3F - shall change my post to avoid confusion for anybody who doesn't read further down the thread.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1422757299' post='2676560']
?????

how does that work then?
[/quote]

Typically digital systems have 120db gain (dynamic range) available to them... so basically you have far more bandwidth available for you overdrive the channel - so essentially, what you get in, is what get out. (low gain in, low gain out... high gain in, high gain out).

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1422797664' post='2676816']
Typically digital systems have 120db gain (dynamic range) available to them... so basically you have far more bandwidth available for you overdrive the channel - so essentially, what you get in, is what get out. (low gain in, low gain out... high gain in, high gain out).
[/quote]

ahh cool okay. sorry realised my comment might have seemed a bit off but i was just genuinely interested

thanks for the info

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1422803366' post='2676902']
ahh cool okay. sorry realised my comment might have seemed a bit off but i was just genuinely interested

thanks for the info
[/quote]

no, not at all, no offence taken! Typically analogue systems have much lower dynamic range and then shoved through a compounder... so really, now, unless you require there to be minimal latency, it makes sense to move to digital. It really is the best form of virtual cable if you will.