Why become a member? ×

What a difference a string makes...

BassBus

...to paraphrase someone's song.

I recently changed the strings on two basses that had older strings on for a while. I put a slightly lighter set on my ACG Finn which just brought the bass back to life. It has always been a good bass to play but this made such a difference. It now has just the tone I've been looking for. Bonded big time.

Then there is the SGC Bass Collection. When the rebuild of that was finished I put on an old set of TI Jazz Flats. The tone was to say the least a little disapointing. But they were TI Jazz Flats, great strings so they stayed on. Then the other day I thought I would just try out a set of Status Hotwires black nylon strings that were lying in a bag. They had been on another bass briefly but I wasn't keen on the tone. Another set of strings that breathed new life into a bass. Loads of tone, bright but still fat enough to give a good tone on fretless.

Moral of the story? If you aren't happy with a bass's tone try a different type of string.

I know this feeling. Back when I had a Corvette I hated the tone of it when I got it (it had relatively fresh D'addario nickels on it if I remember right) and felt it sounded a bit dull with a preamp that just sounded 'vague'. Soon as I put elixirs on it I fell in love with the tone from it. If the thing didn't weigh so much I would never have sold it.

Yup, I am always reading here about people changing pick ups, amps, cabs FX etc to cure a thin sound when all they really need is a heavier gauge of strings. My standard set of 50-105 and there is a word of difference compared to 40-100.

Tried lots of different manufacturers through the years but it's always surprised me how [i]little[/i] difference there is between one set of roundwounds of the same guage and another. After reading lots of string related threads I thought I'd better check again so last string change I swapped the cheap £5 a set jobs I'd been happy with and bought some Rotosounds in the same guage for about £16. Can't tell the difference at all, if anything I think I prefer the £5 set. This is testing them in a real life situation though, playing in a band. Maybe I might hear tiny differences in isolation just noodling in my bedroom but I couldn't care less about that, it's not what I'm playing for.

[quote name='oldmanrock' timestamp='1422827571' post='2677334']
I hadn't realised you could actually CHANGE the strings on a bass! I gave it a try. Doesn't it sound different?
[/quote]

Well, there you are. I've done you a service in highlighting that you CAN change strings. :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422874891' post='2677701']
Tried lots of different manufacturers through the years but it's always surprised me how [i]little[/i] difference there is between one set of roundwounds of the same guage and another. After reading lots of string related threads I thought I'd better check again so last string change I swapped the cheap £5 a set jobs I'd been happy with and bought some Rotosounds in the same guage for about £16. Can't tell the difference at all, if anything I think I prefer the £5 set. This is testing them in a real life situation though, playing in a band. Maybe I might hear tiny differences in isolation just noodling in my bedroom but I couldn't care less about that, it's not what I'm playing for.
[/quote]

Gauge, material and type perhaps are more substantial factors than brand, but brand will have an effect.

Re your Rotos, I'd expect a cheap set by an unknown brand to be preferable to most Rotos I've played :)

String make and gauge make a real difference to me. Especially make. Whenever I`ve bought a new Fender, the first thing I do is get rid of the strings that come stock. They seem to have no depth or bottom end to me. Gauge as well, I used to use 50 - 110s when I was playing heavier music and these really made a difference to the standard 45 - 105s. Now I need less bottom end and more twang the 45s are where I need to be, just enough of everything, but still enough lows to not sound weedy.

put a set of GHS Flats on my Precision at Christmas (pressie to myself). Much better definition than the previous set, Fender flats, and a good solid thwack when played through my TV Bassman.
So forty quid well sent. Makes unimaginative playing sound quite classy!

Strings can make a massive difference imo - not only in the sound, but the set up typically changes if you change gauge, and it will affect how stiff and comfortable the bass feels (hence affect your playing), how the pickups respond, etc. Some basses are more affected than others in any case.

The string tension seems to be the key, I found recently that to make the neck work for you, some necks that is, need to be compressed and a higher tension string in conjuction with a low action can make a world of difference, the sound of the wood starts to come through in your tone.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1422880257' post='2677776']
Gauge, material and type perhaps are more substantial factors than brand, but brand will have an effect.

Re your Rotos, I'd expect a cheap set by an unknown brand to be preferable to most Rotos I've played :)
[/quote]

Oh absolutely, I'm talking about direct comparisons - same type and same guage. Flats v rounds is too much apples v oranges for me to consider it and there's obviously going to be a change when you start going to significantly heavier or lighter guages otherwise there'd be no point. Having said that I've tried 45-105 rounds in steel and nickel and didn't notice much difference.