Why become a member? ×

Broken the curse of family at gigs!

bassbiscuits

For years I've been subject to some weird musician curse - that whenever you invite members of your family to a gig, it invariably turns out to be a crap one.

I've lost count of the times I've had to explain to a parent/brother etc how last time we played here it was packed to the rafters, while tonight there's about 10 people in and none of them are even listening.

Glad to say I reckon I've broken the jinx! My dad, my bro and his missus all came to my band's gig tonight, which is the first time they've seen me play in about 10 years. And guess what - it was a great gig!

'Back of the net' I believe is the term I'm looking for....

Yes I know the feeling well. My brother rarely comes to my gigs and he should have come to one last week and he cancelled at last minute. It was a fantastic gig. He said he will come to the next one and I guarantee it will be a flop despite having good nights there before. In 20 years of playing I have only had a pa amp die once and it happened at a gig virtually every member of my extended family came to

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1422826812' post='2677312']
My sister has never come to a gig with me as a bassist :(

She came to several of my classical gigs, but hasn't seen me rock my socks off live :(
[/quote]

Yeah I think my dad still thought I was standing at the back in some studenty metal band from years ago, He was surprised to see me singing, playing bass, some guitar and harmonica and sharing duties of fronting a busy power trio....

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422838838' post='2677504']
I have had my son's come to gigs, 25 & 27. Thing is, they are a part of that generation that doesn't get, like or have any appreciation for rock or live music period. They think DJs are musicians.

Blue
[/quote]
I blame the parents!:)