Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[size=4][color=#800000][b][size=5]February’s Composition Challenge is now underway[/size]![/b][/color][/size]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner [b]Old_Ben[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

[size=4]By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/size]

[size=4][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/size]

[size=4][b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/size]

[size=4]For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: [url="http://www.freesound.org/"]http://www.freesound.org/[/url][/size]

[size=4][b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/size]

[size=4]If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.[/size]

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 21st February.[/b][/size][/color]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422787742' post='2676678']
... not quite Thomas the tank , more Vlad the exhaler
[/quote]

Haha! All I can hear presently is the theme tune to Thomas the Tank Engine. That's no fault of the photo (which is great) and has everything to do with our four-year old and me sitting through, ooh, probably around a million episodes of Thomas just this last week. At least a million :D

Beautiful colors in the image. The light on the front of the train is a great focal point (reminds me a bit of Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey!).

Surely you all remember this..?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Engine_That_Could"]The Little Engine That Could...[/url]

It has simply grown up, since, surely..?

Can I compose something for this..? I [i]think [/i]I can, I [i]think [/i]I can... Ah, there's already a rhythm coming along. Woo-hoo..! Holy smoke..! I'm on the right lines..!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422787742' post='2676678']
Having stared at the picture for a short while , I see a big smiley face with light bulb nose on the front of the boiler
[/quote]

Yep :D saw that too.
I saw the photo earlier and I've been telling myself not to use a beat that sounds like the wheels on a track.
The problem is, I don't think I can keep that promise.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422802415' post='2676892']
I've already made a start with a chaotic almost 5:4 chuffchuff beat; lovers of freeform funky freakism might just be able to tolerate it. Others are likely to run screaming if it continues as it's started!
:P :D
[/quote]

Trombone [i]and [/i]cowbell..! Mmm..!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:150404]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422809650' post='2677000']
Half right...
No trombone this time.
Though I've got time to get our local jazzist in to roll my burgeoning composition in glitter!
[/quote]

Aha... So you've given up trying to polish 'em, eh..? Very wise; it can't be done. Don't ask how I know this. :blush:

I'm too old to work in 8ths.
But I can vacillate randomly between 4/4 and 5/4 to such an extent that the casual listener might think it's just out of time.
However, I feel that said casual listener will have turned it off in disgust well before they'd reached any conclusions about the non-linearity of time, maaaan!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422813004' post='2677062']
But I can vacillate randomly between 4/4 and 5/4 to such an extent that the casual listener might think it's just out of time.
However, I feel that said casual listener will have turned it off in disgust well before they'd reached any conclusions about the non-linearity of time, maaaan!
[/quote]

Why can't you just admit that you've broken your metronome..? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422813004' post='2677062']
[/quote]

I'm thinking 5/4 too (well, 5/8), although there's also a 13/8 thing that I might try and work in. I WILL submit an entry this month. It will happen. Scouts honour*.

I see a ghost train emerging from some haunted woods, so mine'll be dark and heavy, but still driving.

* - I was never in the scouts.

Edited by bobbass4k