Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1424288653' post='2694845']
I don't think there is , but we could ask that a voter cast 3 or 4 votes ( depending on quantity of entrants I suppose) to see if that slimlines the chances of having an 8 way tie :D
[/quote]

I like this: last time I whittled it down to three and then felt that my final choice from those three was somewhat arbitrary.

Yeah... there is a risk that everyone will vote for everyone! :D Which would be a lovely kind of utopia, if a little boring.

We'll perhaps ask listeners to "vote for their top three favourite compositions". We can't limit it to three votes, so we'll have to see how it goes.

The ideal would be to allow a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice (with each weighted accordingly), but sadly the current 'poll' options don't allow for it. Yet...!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1424299667' post='2695014']
Yeah... there is a risk that everyone will vote for everyone! :D Which would be a lovely kind of utopia, if a little boring.
We'll perhaps ask listeners to "vote for their top three favourite compositions". We can't limit it to three votes, so we'll have to see how it goes.
[/quote]

I don't really see that as a risk. I'm not saying the people who vote aren't kind and enthusiastic :) but I think the voting is like saying 'click each one you'd be happy to see win over the others'. I don't think, in that case, you'd click more than three. Most times it'll be one or two.

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1424301057' post='2695024']
I don't really see that as a risk. I'm not saying the people who vote aren't kind and enthusiastic :) but I think the voting is like saying 'click each one you'd be happy to see win over the others'. I don't think, in that case, you'd click more than three. Most times it'll be one or two.
[/quote]

You're a 'glass half full' bloke, aren't you..! ;) I admire your confidence, and you're probably right, but this [i]is [/i]Basschat, you know..! :rolleyes:

Hello,

Thought I would submit a tune for the composition challenge if that's ok :) ...only had just had over a week to get something done inbetween split shift working days so only a handful of hours really, so possibly not going to be my greatest ever hit as it currently stands!

I looked "into" the picture, and just went with where it took me...on a journey as it happens! I have used all virtual instruments... no trains were harmed in the making of this music :)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/chris-j-clarke/journey"]http://soundcloud.com/chris-j-clarke/journey[/url]

Cheers
James.

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1424353411' post='2695455']
Hello...
[/quote]

Good afternoon, James...

Great stuff..! I enjoyed the film which played through in my mind as that was unfolding; not the same journey as yours, surely, but fascinating, just the same.
A technical question, if I may..? What did you use for the 'fretless'..? Trade secret, perhaps..? If not, I'd be very interested to know how that was created. 'Snot the only point of interest, of course; that's a real work of composition. Have a ...
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:166776]

Hi Dad,

hah no trade secrets, hocus pocus or mumbo jumbo going on...just a fairly straight forward fretless bass sample (with a bit of chorus added) from IK Sampletank 2 played by myself on a fairly cheap Alesis midi controller........it's my favourite bit of the whole thing to be fair as I just let my fingers do their thing in one take... had I owned a real fretless I would have played it all proper like :)

Glad you like it for what it is, I guess it is is a litteral and metaphorical tune really...life would be boring if we all took the same journey :)

Cheers,
James.

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1424353411' post='2695455']
Hello,

Thought I would submit a tune for the composition challenge if that's ok :)
[/quote]

Damn right that's ok :)

Welcome James. I haven't listened to your composition yet - nor any of the others - I usually reserve that until I've finished my own. But looking forward to hearing it.

Welcome aboard!

Paul

i'll be submitting this evening too, but have a bit of deadline drama to submit it to my online course 1st. I have to link the whole file to dropbox and into a thing called BLEND, and thought an hour and a half was plenty of time to upload and submit it.... turns out the files are so large that it's going to take 1 hour to upload and it's 1 hour 13 mins until deadline!!! DRAMA!!!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1424386265' post='2695913']...I hope Dad has started writing up the Plays of the day , or it will take till the middle of March to catch up :D
[/quote]

I was just thinking that very same thing..! :blush:

(...[i]gets skates on, pulls up socks, extracts finger (Pop..!), cracks knuckles. No, I don't know either, but I've seen folks limbering up before a keyboard marathon, so thought I'd better try it; now my fingers hurt even more..![/i] :( )

Actually, I'm catching up on the 'Share your music' offerings from the New Year, so I'm already in 'critic' mode (or is that 'critical'..? It's so hard to tell, these days...). There's some really good, interesting stuff in there...

Edited by Dad3353

Done. Phew.

A hasty effort from me this month. Written this very evening using [url="http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-mikro/"]Machine Mikro[/url] (rather my usual DAW of choice, Reason). With some home-made samples recorded on my phone; plus a snatch of dialogue from the 1941 film 'Ghost Train' (not recommended viewing - it's quite awful).

I was trying to get across the idea of something a bit "ominous" and "impending", but didn't really achieve it. Never mind!

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/locus-motif"]http://soundcloud.co...lob/locus-motif[/url]

...I think we now have [i]eleven[/i] entries this month (and possibly one more to come)!! That's brilliant. Well done everyone :)

I'll post up the voting thread at midnight. It's going to be hosted in General Discussion this month, with a slight twist on the voting system. I'll add a link here once it's up and running.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1424561683' post='2697842']
Oooh. I'm looking forward to listening to this month's entries & also intrigued to see what the voting system is. :)
[/quote]

A simple novelty, involving cheques of various amounts changing hands. Paypal had been mooted, but so few folks trust it; I don't know why. For the more 'winnable' votes, though, Western Union is to be preferred. This month's winner is likely to be from Nigeria. :ph34r: