Why become a member? ×

Funny things that people say to you at gigs

Tom Brookes Music

A girl approached me at a gig once and asked what the big black box was behind me, meaning my old Trace 410 combo. I explained it was the amplifier and speaker where the sound comes from.
"Oh" said she "I thought the sound came out of them black things" as she pointed to the pickups.

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429182801' post='2748801']
A girl approached me at a gig once and asked what the big black box was behind me, meaning my old Trace 410 combo. I explained it was the amplifier and speaker where the sound comes from.
"Oh" said she "I thought the sound came out of them black things" as she pointed to the pickups.
[/quote]

That's actually not too crazy, as them black things are in the same place as the soundhole on an acoustic guitar.... :unsure:

A good friend dropped in on last Saturday's gig, having warned me in advance that she really couldn't stick around as she had to be somewhere else straight after our set. It was also the first time she's come to see Cherry White since we appointed our new singer, a tall Lithuanian lady with an impressive shock of red hair. After clearing our gear off the stage for the headliners, Ms Mooseblaster came up to me and said,
"Maria asked me to tell you: 'sorry, we had to clear off, but we loved the ginger lady!'"

I remember at one of my gigs in the late 70's in my soul/ funk band. We'd done a run of Ewf, Commodores and isley brothers numbers and a middle aged couple came over to my side of the stage got my attention and asked me if we could play something by the Nolan Sisters.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1429216520' post='2749436']
I remember at one of my gigs in the late 70's in my soul/ funk band. We'd done a run of Ewf, Commodores and isley brothers numbers and a middle aged couple came over to my side of the stage got my attention and asked me if we could play something by the Nolan Sisters.
[/quote]

Whereas at that time I was in a post-jazz-punk-prog trio, and we had a cover of a Nolan Sisters number in our set.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429342484' post='2750529']
Being asked by someone if they can stroke my beard.

I was like yup.

Helped that she was pretty cute tho.
[/quote]

That's happened to me as well, there must be a cute serial beard stroker traveling from gig to gig around the country

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1429346027' post='2750567']
Requests for 'Paradise by the dashboard light' always make smile.
[/quote]

We had a request for Two Out of Three 'Aint Bad the other night :D From a guitar/bass/drums trio?! That would have sounded crap even if we knew it

At a pub gig on the Kilburn high road, packing up after a gig, A one armed Irishman asked me "Do you need a hand wit anyting fella?"...
At an 'Opened-just-for-the-night-pub' in Stratford our 6 piece function band were asked "Do you play any Bhangra?" (excuse spelling).
Was asked mid song at a posh Golf club gig to "Stop playing heavy metal" - We were doing a fair cover of "Suddenly I see" by Katie Tunstall....
Later on at the same gig I was asked "Do you know the Gay Gordons?".....
I asked "What table are they sitting at?"

Edited by Bassman68

Not said to me, but.....took my dad (crotchety old git) to see a friend of mine and her Motown revue act (which was really very good). As part of the show she always had an old friend of hers come up for a guest spot, usually involving Rockin' Robin ( I know, I know, and I hate the thing with a passion). After the show I introduced my dad to my friend, and he said "I really enjoyed this evening - the best bit was when that other woman got up and sang" I kid you not. I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. He wonders why I don't take him out much.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1429359466' post='2750767']
Or it's her daughter and it's a genetic thing ;)
[/quote]

Either way, I wouldn't want to discourage her/them from their unusual obsession.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1429342484' post='2750529']
Being asked by someone if they can stroke my beard.

I was like yup.

Helped that she was pretty cute tho.
[/quote]

I get asked regularly if people can put their finger through my ear.

To clarify my earlobes are stretched to a size that can fit a finger through.