Why become a member? ×

Changing .47 caps in LP style guitar to .22

Greggo

Sorry not a bass related question but my recent acquisition is a Westfield LP style guitar. It has a great sound but perhaps could be a bit brighter. I opened up the control cavity and noticed it's installed with .47 caps on the tone pots which I believe isn't the standard on a humbucker fitted guitar. When in position 0 it is very dark indeed.

If I put .22 will this make the tone a bit brighter in position 10 or does it only affect tone as it's rolled off? I've read conflicting info on whether it has an affect on the fully open position.

Thanks!

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1422813260' post='2677067']
Sorry not a bass related question but my recent acquisition is a Westfield LP style guitar. It has a great sound but perhaps could be a bit brighter. I opened up the control cavity and noticed it's installed with .47 caps on the tone pots which I believe isn't the standard on a humbucker fitted guitar. When in position 0 it is very dark indeed.

[b][color=#ff0000]If I put .22 will this make the tone a bit brighter in position 10 or does it only affect tone as it's rolled off[/color][/b]? I've read conflicting info on whether it has an affect on the fully open position.

Thanks!
[/quote]Yes only as the tone is rolled off - dsiclaimer - depending on how it's wired I suppose! If you put a higher value pot in ie: 500 instead of 250K it helps a bit.

The tone passive tone control on a guitar or bass shouldn't really have any effect on the sound when they are up at full. Some folks reckon that bypassing them altogether gives a little bit more top end (actually it's not cutting as much top,as it's actually a low pass filter, but that's splitting hairs). 500kΩ volume pots are the way forward for humbuckers though - they'll let more top end through to the tone circuit, so check whether you've already got them.

My 6 stringer is an SG copy, and I'm toying with making a Treble-Booster for this very reason - 500kΩ pots across the board and it's still quite a 'thick' tone. If I could only put a coil tap switch on it to turn them into single coil pickups then that would really SING through 500kΩ pots….

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1422820001' post='2677187']
The tone passive tone control on a guitar or bass shouldn't really have any effect on the sound when they are up at full. Some folks reckon that bypassing them altogether gives a little bit more top end (actually it's not cutting as much top,as it's actually a low pass filter, but that's splitting hairs). 500kΩ volume pots are the way forward for humbuckers though - they'll let more top end through to the tone circuit, so check whether you've already got them.

My 6 stringer is an SG copy, and I'm toying with making a Treble-Booster for this very reason - 500kΩ pots across the board and it's still quite a 'thick' tone. If I could only put a coil tap switch on it to turn them into single coil pickups then that would really SING through 500kΩ pots….
[/quote]

Sounds like you need a tele mate ;)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1422830524' post='2677393']
You might be right.....
[/quote]

Must admit I've had my Squier CV tele for a year and still amazed at how versatile two sc can be. I did miss humbuckers, hence getting an LP style, but the clear tele tone takes some beating.