Why become a member? ×

Overdrive: Beta vs Darklighter vs Vintage Microtubes vs Agro

countjodius

Hi folks,

I'm currently on the hunt for an overdrive pedal to add some tube grind for certain tracks, and have narrowed the search down to these 4:[list]
[*][b]SolidGoldFX Beta: [/b]Probably my favourite so far from what I've heard/read. My only hesitation is that the baked-in bass boost might be too muddy when used with my Genz Benz Streamliner head.
[*][b]COG Darklighter:[/b] COG have a great following on BC, although the Knightfall might be more saturation than I need. I like the description of the Darklighter, but there are no bass clips available to hear it in action.
[*][b]Darklgass VMT: [/b]Gets a lot of love but may be too pricey for all that I'll be using it.
[*][b]Aguilar Agro: [/b]Love Aguilar gear, but some users comment on the loss of low end. Can this get a warm tube overdrive tone?
[/list]
Thanks for any thoughts/experiences you can share!

Without you telling us the tone or sound you are going for, it is hard to suggest what would be best for you.

The Beta is a great pedal if you are looking for a nice Soul/bassy sound (Ampeg B-15 comes into mind), but the bass boost might be a problem for your Streamliner as the amp is on the darker side of things.

I personally went for a COG Knightfall after Tom suggested it for my custom build "The Octabass".
The Knightfall is a versatile drive that can go from nice and clean with an edge to distorstion.

I cannot coment on the Darkglass as I only own the B3K and I have never been interested in the Aguilar.

The are a gazillion drives in the market, which is a good and a bad thing at the same time...

Good luck mate!

Edited by Byo

Cheers for the info. I don't have any particular tracks in mind for the tone that I'm after, but basically a warm tube overdrive/grind that isn't too subtle so as to get lost in the mix. Nothing too modern/fizzy or obnoxious! Can the Knightfall dial in this kind of sound?

Thanks!

I can comment on three of those pedals. But as always, it's just my opinion. Just to be clear - I like my tone bassy. I don't do thin zingy twangy bass, I do rich, deep, punchy bass. Some pedals that work for other people just don't cut it for me if they cut my low end. I guess if you like a brighter tone then you may prefer pedals that I don't like. Horses for courses.
The Beta does that valve type distortion and can get really gnarly but even with the tone knob full up it's still quite a dark sound. I'm waiting on a blender coming soon to tame mine a bit. But I won't be selling it any time soon as even with that dark tone there's something about it i really like. I have a Streamliner too and the two together sound huge.
You're right about the Darklighter, it's not as saturated as a Knightfall, but they're both lovely. And as it's your choice where you set the gain, both will do a wide range of valvey overdrives and distortions really well. I reccommend the Knightfall 66 as it has two channels and loads of switchable diode options inside. So much choice of sound, it just rocks. Talk to Tom at COG about your needs, he'll help you out with good advice.
The VMT was one I had high hopes for but upon arrival it didn't work for me. Whatever I did with the settings I lost loads of low end. For me it didn't live up to the hype. I ended up doing a trade with it.

Besy of luck on your quest :)

If you're considering the Beta, check out the Beaefoot Blueberry too (similar but ten times better if you ask me!).

Pedals respond in very different ways to different players and basses (and ears!), so expect a long journey ahead of trying different things out you see what works for you!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1423085642' post='2680647']
Pedals respond in very different ways to different players and basses (and ears!), so expect a long journey ahead of trying different things out you see what works for you!
[/quote]
Agreed. You can read all the reviews on the web, watch all the you tube video, but you won't know how any gear sounds objectively until you plug it into your set up. You have to start somewhere so pick a pedal from your list and try it out for yourself. It is a journey of discovery. And it's fun

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1423086914' post='2680684']
Agreed. You can read all the reviews on the web, watch all the you tube video, but you won't know how any gear sounds objectively until you plug it into your set up. You have to start somewhere so pick a pedal from your list and try it out for yourself. It is a journey of discovery. And it's fun ��
[/quote]
If you're considering the Beta, check out the Beaefoot Blueberry too (similar but ten times better if you ask me!).

[/quote]

Totally agree. I have bought gear in the past based on Youtube and reviews and not everything worked for me.
Your ears will be the only ones who will tell you what works with your setup.

The Xotic BB Preamp is a killer pedal and it may be a great starting point.

Good luck!

Edited by Byo

Cheers all, and for the detailed answer Ratman, that really helps a lot! I'm now edging more towards the COG pedals, and just received a lot of good info from Tom himself. I prefer the smaller footprint of the Darklighter & original Knightfall, but which one to go fo?! I'd somehow missed the Xotic BB Preamp in my search, that also looks great with a lot of tonal options.

Hmm...decisions decisions!

Edited by countjodius

It's an ongoing quest!!
I own the BB Pre, the Beta, a COG Knightfall (sightly different to the Darklighter) and another contender I'll throw into the ring is the Fuzzrocious Dark Driving and Demon.
"How do all these sound on bass" I hear you ask, will good job I did a brief A/B of a few of them huh:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton/sets/bass-overdrive-shootout"]https://soundcloud.c...rdrive-shootout[/url]
(click through to each file to read a full rundown of pedal order etc)

Here's my video of the Knightfall 66:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv0oqDxP6_I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Mv0oqDxP6_I[/url]

Obviously some settings are more saturated than you want, but might help :)

Si

[quote name='countjodius' timestamp='1423171922' post='2681882']
Thanks for sharing Sibob, great resource you have there! The Beta and Xotic both sound great to myears, but I think I'm gonna go with the Knightfall as I like the idea of having a transparent tone that I can dial darkness into.
[/quote]

I'd recommend that you go for the Knightfall 66 over the standard model. Two channels with independent controls (apart from blend, though it's not neccesary! ;)) and diode selection mean it's almost like two distortion boxes in one! I have mine on ALL the time...

Talk to Tom (COG), you may need to wait a while longer but it's worth it! :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1423221845' post='2682326']
I'd recommend that you go for the Knightfall 66 over the standard model.
[/quote]

I agree. For an extra £60 over the price of a standard Knightfall you get a lot. A second channel for a start. Also, the Blend and Treble controls. The Low control isn't a normal bass boost/cut, what it does is send more or less bass frequencies to the distortion. It's a great feature. The internal diode selectors give you a choice of 5 different clipping diodes - on each channel. And there's an internal clean level trim too. The 66 is one very versatile pedal.

Edited by ratman

Guest monsterthompson

[/quote]
I've just suggested the BBBOD in two other threads :) Obviously not on the OP list, so I didn't want to muddy things here :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went on a journey through multi effects and several OD and dist pedals to land back with an EHX big muff deluxe just dirtying the sound a little. Just enough to know that it's there and it works for me better than what id tried previously namely darkglass and tech21 and some boss gear. It works for what I need and sounds clear, big and bassy but not boomy.
I can't comment on the others there's you've asked about as I've not had the chance to try em, yet.