Why become a member? ×

Squier P5 - USA pickups installed...

Telebass

And sounds pretty good, too. However, the improvement is less than I imagined it might be.
The original pickup is not a ceramic bar; it has magnet slugs, so may be alnico. Measures 9k dc resistance compared to 10.1k for the Fender.
As a side comment, the electrics in this were beautiful, shielded cavity, good soldering. Impressive.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1423124471' post='2680937']
And sounds pretty good, too. However, the improvement is less than I imagined it might be.
The original pickup is not a ceramic bar; it has magnet slugs, so may be alnico. Measures 9k dc resistance compared to 10.1k for the Fender.
As a side comment, the electrics in this were beautiful, shielded cavity, hood soldering. Impressive.
[/quote]

This has been reported before, by people who have even replaced the PU by a Nordstrand. Those stock PUs seem to be pretty decent.

I just bought the same bass and was considering fitting a Nordstrand P5 pickup. I read a lot on talkbass and people there are reporting much of the same when changing the pickup on this bass, its slightly better/different but certainly not the massive change people expected.

I still might go for a Nordy and a new wiring harness when I have some more cash.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1423226357' post='2682433']
I don't really need one but so tempted to get one
[/quote]

I have had one just over 2 weeks now, and I have to say it is one of the most enjoyable and playable basses I have ever owned. I wont even say it is good for the money, it is just a great bass. I would say it is easily as good as my old classic vibe precision and it cost a lot less. In fact it is better than my old 2013 American standard Jazz.

I just cant believe they can make good basses for so little money, I enjoy playing it more than any of the more expensive basses I have owned, plus it is very light.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1423230702' post='2682536']
What color fid you get?
Dv247 have them at £222

I have had one just over 2 weeks now, and I have to say it is one of the most enjoyable and playable basses I have ever owned. I wont even say it is good for the money, it is just a great bass. I would say it is easily as good as my old classic vibe precision and it cost a lot less. In fact it is better than my old 2013 American standard Jazz.

I just cant believe they can make good basses for so little money, I enjoy playing it more than any of the more expensive basses I have owned, plus it is very light.
[/quote]

I got the white one as I am a sucker for white and tort, I was almost swayed by the red one as well though. I bought mine from Gear4Music, they were superb and it was free shipping I think.

I know Thomas are super cheap but I presume they add a chunk for uk delivery.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1423230702' post='2682536']
... , plus it is very light.
[/quote]
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
I've heard from quite a few sources that these are light basses, but also that they tend to have a bit of neck dive as a result. Is this something you've noticed with yours?

I've had mine a couple of months and I love it, Im playing it much more than my other basses (it's got a lovely neck) I've been tempted to get a Nordstrand pickup but there's nothing really wrong with the stock. maybe a new wiring loom and i love the idea of getting a gold anodised pick guard made by the bass doc as mines the sunburst :) the only thing I did do was put on some La Bella low tension flats and has schaller straplocks.

Edited by lee650

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1423244306' post='2682778']
I got the white one as I am a sucker for white and tort, I was almost swayed by the red one as well though. I bought mine from Gear4Music, they were superb and it was free shipping I think.

I know Thomas are super cheap but I presume they add a chunk for uk delivery.
[/quote]

Free delivery over £150 / €199 I think.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1423357679' post='2683972']
I've had mine a couple of months and I love it, Im playing it much more than my other basses (it's got a lovely neck) I've been tempted to get a Nordstrand pickup but there's nothing really wrong with the stock. maybe a new wiring loom and i love the idea of getting a gold anodised pick guard made by the bass doc as mines the sunburst :) the only thing I did do was put on some La Bella low tension flats and has schaller straplocks.
[/quote]
Same here, except Chromes. Didn't see a need to mess with the electrics. In fact, my advice to others would be to leave it stock. It's simply a very good bass in its own right.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1423310496' post='2683343']
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
I've heard from quite a few sources that these are light basses, but also that they tend to have a bit of neck dive as a result. Is this something you've noticed with yours?
[/quote]

They are a mixed bag reading on talkbass, some have come in over 9lbs apparently but I would say mine is just over 8lbs. When i am sitting down there is some neck dive but I come to expect that with a lot of light fender instruments, even my old american standard Jazz 4 had some dive when on my knee.

With the squier it is minimal and on the strap it isnt an issue, I use a nice wide Mono strap and it doesnt move unless I want it to.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1423500525' post='2685573']
STOP THIS NOW. This is like eating a meal of baked beans and sprouts washed down with cabbage water.
[/quote]
:lol:

I feel the same! I really want one now. I can't really spare the cash, but want to inject some real low end into my London Zulu gig, been playing them songs too long on a 4er.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423501419' post='2685588']
:lol:

I feel the same! I really want one now. I can't really spare the cash, but want to inject some real low end into my London Zulu gig, been playing them songs too long on a 4er.
[/quote]

I just need to pull my finger out and get some of my previous BC-inspired purchases on the marketplace (Retrovibe, Sue Ryder, the usual suspects...)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1423502164' post='2685603']
I just need to pull my finger out and get some of my previous BC-inspired purchases on the marketplace (Retrovibe, Sue Ryder, the usual suspects...)
[/quote]

I might put my Japan Fender Power Jazz up for a swap for a 5er. Threads like this are a bloody nightmare.