Why become a member? ×

Tips on recording and mixing bass (our favourite instrument after all)

Mornats

Not so sure about that OldG, 88.2 vs 48 is not nearly the immense difference that people tend to make it to be unless you have some extraordinay monitors IME, I've made perfectly excellent sounding albums at 44.1KHz and 48KHz, certainly not lacking in quality or clarity in any way.

The 24 bit part is important if you are wanting to record at lower levels to preserve transients - which you should be.

You've answered a question I was going to ask this week. I record at 44.1/24bit and started recording at 48khz on the assumption I'd get better quality. I found that most sampled instruments came in at 44.1khz (the movie soundclips that I use certainly are 44.1khz) so some resampling always gets done in Reaper it seems. So I was going to ask about whether sticking to 44.1khz/24bit was worth doing to keep all sample rates the same or whether I should be upping the quality. So I'll stick to 44.1khz for now. (Although for laughs, I may try recording at 192khz and 44.1khz just to compare but my monitors certainly aren't extraordinary by any stretch.) Cheers!

I generally record at 48/24 personally

For the music I'm making its neverbeen an issue wrt sound quality at all, you will get far more imprssive increases in quality by concentrating on mic position, phase issues when multiple mics are involved, gain staging etc etc.

Decent mic pres are pretty much a given in higher quality interfaces (RME, Apogee etc etc), decent mics needn't cost the earth either, but all of that is meaningless if you're not prepared to spend time on mic position and listening, decent headphones a re a must, and I fully recommend studiospares m1000 for tracking, probably the best bang for the buck tracking cans I've ever found, really good.

I'm quite the fan of Superlux headphones, owning a pair of HD-668 B open-backed (for general music listening) and HD-662 F closed-back for tracking. The 662s sound fairly similar to my monitors (M-audio BX5a Deluxe) which is handy I guess. Those Studiospares ones are next on my list though.

The Focusrite Forte that I have sounds great and the preamps are highly regarded so no problems there (other than driver support not being as good as RME's which I know you find a big issue - and quite rightly so).

Ha! They are fine for the price, I've used a lot of Focusrite kit, the best of it is superb, the cheapest stuff is what I'd expect, it services well enough for most just fine.

The reason RME have th ebest drivers is they roll their own USB chips so their devices drivers are far better married to their hardware apparently. As a software engineer I can believe that without any trouble at all.

Using good monitors is definitely a big help, so you can hear what's going on in the lows.

I'm using a pair of adam aX7 I had second hand from a friend, they are great for 80Hz and up.

For me, on the basis of my current projects, I always just DI the bass and process later.
It's true, the tone is pretty much in your fingers. Performance, timing and intonation is everything when it comes to getting a vibe right.

EQ is the biggest tool, carving up sounds to help them slot into the spectrum better. I cut away most of what isn't needed. LPF and HPF are your friend. Subtractive EQ is important for getting sounds where they need to be.

I'm usually to be found recording hip hop bass tracks these days and can get 99% of the way there with just the performance and a good ear.