Why become a member? ×

Higher Tension Tapewounds

Twincam

Using Fender tapes 9120m. I like there sound but can't get on with the low tension never played strings so floppy, honestly my action was 2 -1.5mm with flatwounds now with these on all of my strings are at 4mm!!! (17th fret so probably 0.5mm lower at 12th). They also feel greasy and very slippery finger keep flying off them.

Although they do play very easy even at high action. I would like my bass to have a lower action so im looking at getting higher tension tapewounds.

Anyone know which brands would suit me more.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to stay with tapewounds, but want higher tension than the Fenders, then:
1) La Bella Regular Gauge 60-115 - good round tone, similar sustain to conventional strings;
2) Rotosound Trubass 65-115, made to emulate the bloom and lesser sustain of a double bass.
All tapewounds will be slightly lighter in tension than their flatwound counterparts, because the nylon tape does not add significant mass to the strings, so the underlying string will be lesser diameter, therefore less mass, therefore less tension, compounded by usually being roundwound instead of flatwound, so even less mass, even less tension, than what you are used to in a comparable flatwound.

A new flat wound that is advertising flat feel and round sound are the new Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. There are YouTube videos demonstrating them.

I have the Fender tapewounds on my custom half-fanned P/J, and the La Bella's on my 5-string. I understand what you mean. I have to use a bit lighter touch on the Fender tapewounds with their lesser tension.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1424718859' post='2699625']
Twincam

The Status Hot Wire nylons play and feel great on my PB-50.

A good price and fast delivery can be had direct from Status.

Might be what your after.
[/quote]

Great strings but beware they have a VERY bright tone to begin with, much more so than La Bellas or Rotosounds. Much smaller gauges too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got more used to the fender tapes. Been able to lower the action a little to 3mm-2.5mm so still a little too high. Loving the sound even more now they have mellowed. Of course lots of music they are not so suitable for but very much still enjoying tapewounds.

I shall investigate the above mentioned thanks