Why become a member? ×

Low output from Rode NT4 mic solved. Here's how...

ShergoldSnickers

I've been testing the two of my mics for recording double bass, and found the CAD m179 used in figure of eight in front of the bridge about 6" away and pointing slightly upwards, to be the best compromise. One lobe directly at the bass, the other 180 degrees away.

All well and good, but thought I'd have a play with a Rode NT4 as well. Plugged in, switched on the phantom power... and well, not much really. It was recording, but at a vastly reduced signal level than normal. OK... check all the cabling and associated gear (Focusrite Saffire Pro 14), and yes the mic power was on, the mic switch was on etc etc.

I checked i'd registered the mic just in case (10 year warranty). Yep, done that. Suddenly it struck me. This mic had been sat in its case for several months in a cold but not freezing room. I've just brought it into a nice warm room to do recording, and if anything will wreck capacitance then moisture will. My guess is that moisture was causing leakage across the charged capsule diaphragms. After 10 minutes resting on a tepid radiator, the mic was plugged in and voila! Signal strength restored. I'd placed a few silica gel bags in the case, but I reckon they'd become fully saturated. I've dried those out as well.

Wow! That's a result, mate. Those mic's ain't cheap (and I know, I've had an NT-4 before)

They're a good way to get results without too much faffing around trying to get good stereo reproduction and IMHO work best a couple of feet from the source to get more of the room characteristics. Add in some bridge pickup (if it's got one) and/or a close mic should sound awesome when properly balanced and lined up.

If you only have two mics and one of them can be configured for figure-of-eight, I reckon Mid-Side will get you all need :) but hey, what do I know hehehe

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1425575545' post='2708770']
These mics come with a 10 year warranty — and as it is still within the warranty period, it's off to be looked at. Even when kept in a warm dry room, there's a delay of several minutes until it gets up to normal output levels.
[/quote]
Could be that the capsules are knackered - good thing it's still in warranty :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1425654494' post='2709456']
I like rode a lot :)

Some of the best vocal mics I've used have been Rode
[/quote]
Yep, I rate them pretty highly. Only had experience with their condenser mics, but very reasonably priced.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1425650784' post='2709395']
Sent off today — we'll see what happens. Full marks to RODE for not quibbling and being very helpful in sorting this out so far. :)
[/quote]
Jolly good! Best of luck, Snicks

BTW, I still happen to have a couple of lengths of Canford StarQuad with 5-pin Neutrik XLR's on and stereo 3-pin to 5-pin splitters for both Male and Female ends. Would that be of any interest to you?

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1425668683' post='2709639']
Jolly good! Best of luck, Snicks

BTW, I still happen to have a couple of lengths of Canford StarQuad with 5-pin Neutrik XLR's on and stereo 3-pin to 5-pin splitters for both Male and Female ends. Would that be of any interest to you?
[/quote]

Got all the cable and splitters I need for now — thanks though. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Mic returned from HHB, the Rode distributors. It's been on an extended testing régime and has given nothing but very healthy output every time it's been switched on from cold. They even went to the trouble of literally freezing it! So the finger of suspicion falls on the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 now. I need to grab another input device that supplies phantom power so I can see.

It would appear that the Pro 14 takes time to realise full phantom power — odd, but this is where the investigation takes me next.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Dodgy power supply brick to the Saffire. As soon as it gets a healthy power supply the mic is fine. Sorted. Full marks to HHB though for being prepared to take this mic under warranty, thoroughly test it and not charge. Also full marks to Rode for the 10 year warranty on this model.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers