Why become a member? ×

Kanye West

UglyDog

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424288289' post='2694836']

I'm not saying he's talenless, just that I don't like him or his music. I like rap, as said, Cypress hill, Tupac among others. I just don't like Kanye and if someone else does, bully for them. It won't change my outlook on his talent or lack of.
I do think he is over rated, but again that's down to taste.
What kind of world would it be if we all liked the same things ?
[/quote]

I have to admit, I'm with ubit on this. I grew up listening to hip hop and the modern crop of rappers just can't hold a candle to the old MC's. The only one I think is even halfway decent is Eminem, at least he writes stuff about life, instead of just "aren't I awesome? I have loads of money/girls/cars" I get very annoyed when dj's on the radio go on about JayZ's 99 problems. I want to shake them and tell them to listen to the original version! (1993, IceT, Home Invasion). I'd rather hear the raw stuff of IceT, KRSOne, NWA etc than the over produced commercial stuff around these days.

I think most rap these days, at least the stuff you'll hear about in the media, is very much in the same ilk as Simon Cowell et al, manufactured pop for the masses designed solely to make money, not music.

These artists all have talent, and there's a place for it too, even one direction (just not out of my speakers). The problem with Kanye is that he seems to think his is the most valuable opinion in the world, and that he's the best thing ever, when clearly, he isn't.

Edited by Froggy

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1424290968' post='2694884']
I have to admit, I'm with ubit on this. I grew up listening to hip hop and the modern crop of rappers just can't hold a candle to the old MC's. The only one I think is even halfway decent is Eminem, at least he writes stuff about life, instead of just "aren't I awesome? I have loads of money/girls/cars" I get very annoyed when dj's on the radio go on about JayZ's 99 problems. I want to shake them and tell them to listen to the original version! (1993, IceT, Home Invasion). I'd rather hear the raw stuff of IceT, KRSOne, NWA etc than the over produced commercial stuff around these days.
I think most rap these days, at least the stuff you'll hear about in the media, is very much in the same ilk as Simon Cowell et al, manufactured pop for the masses designed solely to make money, not music.
[/quote]
This. He might think he's some sort of visionary genius, but compared to the likes of Public Enemy he is a cultural, creative and intellectual minnow.

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1424290968' post='2694884']I think most rap these days, at least the stuff you'll hear about in the media, is very much in the same ilk as Simon Cowell et al, manufactured pop for the masses designed solely to make money, not music.

These artists all have talent, and there's a place for it too, even one direction (just not out of my speakers).[/quote]

If you're not open to newer styles of hip-hop then you'll never like it. All those artists you mentioned were signed to a label because they were believed to be able to make money for them, something which will never change.

Plenty of talented guys out there; Kendrick Lamar, ASAP Rocky, Drake, Wiz Khalifa.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424288289' post='2694836']

I'm not saying he's talenless, just that I don't like him or his music. I like rap, as said, Cypress hill, Tupac among others. I just don't like Kanye and if someone else does, bully for them. It won't change my outlook on his talent or lack of.
I do think he is over rated, but again that's down to taste.
What kind of world would it be if we all liked the same things ?
[/quote]

The thing is, I pretty much agree with all of this! Kanye is, IMO, undoubtedly talented, but his dickishness taints it all for me. Put it this way, if Kanye's music was a washing machine full of white clothes, then that annoying side of his personality is a red sock that has somehow crept into the drum. You just know that as soon as you switch it on, the red sock will appear in the window of the machine and ruin everything for you 😊

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1424298817' post='2695006']
if Kanye's music was a washing machine full of white clothes, then that annoying side of his personality is a red sock that has somehow crept into the drum. You just know that as soon as you switch it on, the red sock will appear in the window of the machine and ruin everything for you
[/quote]
This, I like :lol:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1424224108' post='2694143']
Indeed, for me though, it's the sampling of significant "Grooves" and "Hooks" that makes "it less valid artistically".
[/quote]

Yup, this is what grinds my gear about a lot of sampling. You've got a machine that can capture and manipulate sound in any way imaginable, but a talentless twunt like Kanye just samples a whole bar or two of someone elses recording. Now an outfit like Skinny Puppy or Young Gods, they know how to use a sampler creatively.

Now that this thread is towards the end of its shelf-life, I'll add...
Manfred Mann's Earth Band (my band of 30 years) found itself on the Kanye West track "So Appalled". Manfred's response was to take KW's track, fiddle about with it a bit, and then put it back out on his album.
Recycling's good, right(?)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1424436046' post='2696266'] Now that this thread is towards the end of its shelf-life, I'll add... Manfred Mann's Earth Band (my band of 30 years) found itself on the Kanye West track "So Appalled". Manfred's response was to take KW's track, fiddle about with it a bit, and then put it back out on his album. Recycling's good, right(?) [/quote]

I like his style. :D

So, while some say, "Good on Kanye, speaking his mind"... it now seems that Mr West hadn't even heard Beck's album, and after hearing a track or two, said, "I bet you that album is really good".
Aside from my complete indifference to his "music" and my hitherto lack of knowledge of the KW person, I am now slowly moving around to the "He's a knob" camp!