Why become a member? ×

Set up suggestions for a basic user....help needed!

Chiliwailer

Hi folks,

Hoping I can please pick your brains. I haven't done home recording for a number of years, when I did I used a hard disc recorder, never again!

I have surgery coming up soon and some time off work so I'd like to use this time to mess around and get back into the basics using a laptop.

I'd prefer to do this as cheap as possible.

I already have......
Laptop, windows 8, Intel Core i3, 8gb RAM, 500GB Hard disk.
MIDI Controller Keyboard.

I need.......
A software package to record on
An interface for guitars and MIDI
A decent drum package to programme drums and also select pre made drum loops
A decent MIDI sounds package to plug my controller keyboard into. Synths and electronic type sounds plus general MIDI instruments,

Even better, a package that does all of the above!!!

What do you suggest please? (Not too expensive, this is just for fun :) )

Thank you!!!

Edited by Chiliwailer

Hi Buddy,
A lot of this information is in this following thread:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248509-beginners-guide-to-home-recording/
Very well written, and wish I had as helpful a guide when I started myself!

Laptop wise you'll need something with a powerful processor to handle all the instruments and MIDI equipment running at the same time!

Hi Ben,

Thank you, it's a great thread you mentioned. I was hoping to also hear from people shouting about their own setups, like what works for them or what they think is cool.

I was hoping my laptop would be powerful enough, I forgot to mention that it has an Intel Core i3, I'll edit the original post!

Cheers :)

[size=4][quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1423506235' post='2685671']...
What do you suggest please? (Not too expensive, this is just for fun :) )...
[/quote][/size]

[color=#800080][size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A software package to record on[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Reaper is very popular, with plenty of a[/font][/color][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ssistance, either on t'web or here. Fully functional, you only pay a licence if you are going to keep it ($60...)[/font][/color][/size]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]'Reaper' site ...[/url][/font]
[color=#800080][size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]An interface for guitars and MIDI[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is popular; they sometimes come up in the Marketplace here...[/font][/color]
[url="http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ...[/font][/color][/url]
[color=#800080][size=4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A decent drum package to programme drums and also select pre made drum loops[/font][/size][/color]
Free..? 'Hydrogen' is a good starter drum machine ...
[url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen/"][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hydrogen ...[/font][/url]
[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]... or EZDrummer 2, from Toontrack. Very popular, easy enough to use, and very good sounds ...[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][url="http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/?utm_expid=3066500-0.eczEM3hjTk-opmNqIWAA5w.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.fr%2F"]EZDrummer ...[/url]
[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A decent MIDI sounds package to plug my controller keyboard into. Synths and electronic type sounds plus general MIDI instruments, [/font][/color][/size]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Can't help much here, but I use Vst virtual instruments and plug-ins, which respond to MIDI very well. Tons of free ones available.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423507969' post='2685703']

[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]An interface for guitars and MIDI[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is popular; they sometimes come up in the Marketplace here...[/font][/color]

[/quote]

Not sure if the 2i2 does MIDI, The 2i4 does have the MIDI in/out on the back where the 2i2 doesn't

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423507969' post='2685703']
[size=4][/size]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Oh yes, that helps A LOT, perfect place to start and perhaps even end up at :)

Price wise it's all looking great and I like that you can try Reaper before paying the license. I'm sure it'd be perfect for me, I won't be at all demanding.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423508095' post='2685707']
Depending on the package(s) chosen, your laptop will be fine for a good while. Some 'extras' can be very greedy on resources, but they tend to be expensive, too, so you're not there yet..!
[/quote]

Less extras = less costs, so my laptop and I will be very happy. Cheers!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423508095' post='2685707']
Depending on the package(s) chosen, your laptop will be fine for a good while. Some 'extras' can be very greedy on resources, but they tend to be expensive, too, so you're not there yet..!
[/quote]

In my excitement I forgot to say thanks so much for taking the time to write and make the links, really appreciated. :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423508800' post='2685727']

... and ask away if you feel a question coming on; some of the folks here actually know their stuff..! Don't be shy.
[/quote]

Haha, you may just regret posting that!

I'll mostly be using the set up left handed for 6 weeks so that may just put me off writing any lengthy questions!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423508871' post='2685729']

Ah, yes; I forgot that. That's how I connect mine (M-Audio...).
[/quote]

Cool, another to look into, sweet. Cheers again!

If I have your exact set up i may just have to pop a question or two from time to time, thanks for the offer pal :)

focusrite scarlett 2i2 user here aswell , Reaper user aswell , I don't use a lot of midi , but I have a midi/Usb cable that Reaper recognises . Though EZ drummer is midi I tend to edit existing grooves in reaper rather than compose from scratch , but I don't do complicated !!

I started off on a laptop and had no real problems , a few clicky artifacts in the playback were a bit of a pain , but the head phone socket stopped working so I eventually got a proper PC .

As I type this I just realised I could use the 2i2 as the Digital-Analogue converter , and still be listening to the lappy if I needed to :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423508800' post='2685727']

... and ask away if you feel a question coming on; some of the folks here actually know their stuff..! Don't be shy.
[/quote]

Tha M Track Plus looks pretty cool (non MIDI version). Is that what you have? It comes with Cubase LE and Ableton Lite Live, but I'm guessing that for just $60 Reaper is a better bet for the future, do you think so?

The Waves Audio package by Eddie Kramer could be fun too....

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1423511820' post='2685802']
focusrite scarlett 2i2 user here aswell , Reaper user aswell , I don't use a lot of midi , but I have a midi/Usb cable that Reaper recognises . Though EZ drummer is midi I tend to edit existing grooves in reaper rather than compose from scratch , but I don't do complicated !!

I started off on a laptop and had no real problems , a few clicky artifacts in the playback were a bit of a pain , but the head phone socket stopped working so I eventually got a proper PC .

As I type this I just realised I could use the 2i2 as the Digital-Analogue converter , and still be listening to the lappy if I needed to :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Better have another look at Focusrite then!

What do you mean by drim editing existing grooves in reaper?

Thank you.

Basically , the likes of EZ drummer have various drum beats , grooves an fills that you can choose to load in to your project , once loaded you can edit what gets played , the timing of it and the velocity( how hard it appears to be hit) , from within a midi chart , where you can draw in extra parts to play or erase parts you want out . it looks a bit odd to start with , but I am sure a 'midi editing 'search in you tube will throw up examples with whichever DAW you choose.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1423513286' post='2685828']
Basically , the likes of EZ drummer have various drum beats , grooves an fills that you can choose to load in to your project , once loaded you can edit what gets played , the timing of it and the velocity( how hard it appears to be hit) , from within a midi chart , where you can draw in extra parts to play or erase parts you want out . it looks a bit odd to start with , but I am sure a 'midi editing 'search in you tube will throw up examples with whichever DAW you choose.
[/quote]

Thanks for that great explanation, sounds nice and user friendly once used to it. I really appreciate your input.

I'm just deciding now what interface to go for. I reckon I'll go for Reaper so I can save a tenner by getting Focusrite over M Audio and the free Cubase version, but then again, I like the idea of having effects designed by Hendrix's engineer coming free with the M Audio....decisions decisions....

The Steinberg UR22 Audio & Midi interface.(comes with a cut down version of Cubase, if you need a DAW)
Good Pre-Amps that are good sounding.
Solid ASIO and with low latency, and zero latency hardware monitoring.
You won't find a bad review anywhere.
[url="https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html"]https://www.steinber...delle/ur22.html[/url]

The cut down Cubase spec.
[url="https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_yamaha/cubase_ai_7.html"]https://www.steinber...ubase_ai_7.html[/url]

£99 with free delivery.
[url="https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html"]https://www.steinber...delle/ur22.html[/url]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1423514415' post='2685846']
The Steinberg UR22 Audio & Midi interface.(comes with a cut down version of Cubase, if you need a DAW)
Good Pre-Amps that are as good, and some cases better than any budget units out there.
Solid ASIO and very low latency.
You won't find a bad review anywhere.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html

£99 with free delivery.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html
[/quote]

Thank you, looking good! I like that I can have a MIDI option, just in case I ever need it. The specs look spot on too, and Cubase AI may be enough for me.

Have you used Cubase AI? Any cons to having that over the full version, or Reaper?

Cheers!

I use Reaper, my usb audio interface is a Tascam US-144 (bought s/h from a member here...). My keyboard: M-Audio Keystation Mini 32. I use several drum programmes, but they can become expensive (Toontrack EZDrummer 2, Superior Drums, BFD2, MDrummer, principally, but also occasionally Soundfont drums, which are free...) and several vst virtual instruments/orchestras which, again, can work out expensive (Philharmonik, SampleTank, Edirol, Spectrasonics Trilian and more...).
Start off with the minimum and build up as your needs develop. You're unlikely to end up with exactly the same system as anyone else, but we all chip in with our viewpoints, as there is a lot of commonality in all of this.
I wouldn't get too hung up on interfaces; at the prices we're addressing here, they're all much of a muchness (ie; blooming good..!). If/when one goes further up-market, other criteria become more important, but add nothing that my old cloth ears could appreciate.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1423514699' post='2685852']
Thank you, looking good! I like that I can have a MIDI option, just in case I ever need it. The specs look spot on too, and Cubase AI may be enough for me.

Have you used Cubase AI? Any cons to having that over the full version, or Reaper?

Cheers!
[/quote]

Sorry, I was editing when you posted.
A link for the Cubase A1 spec above.

Of course, Reaper is the full version,
Cubase A1 has limited track count, 32 Audio and 48 Midi, (ample for most)
Has a bunch of very usable soft Synths and Drums (+loops) included, not sure Reaper has.
There is also a good selection of FX.
(saves hunting around for freebies straight away, or indeed paying out).
Plus it has the notation midi editor as well as PRV.
Upgrade path to the bigger versions is good as well.
A ton of YouTube tutorial vids out there and a subscription to the Steinberg YouTube tutorial channel is worth while.

But in reality, a DAW is a DAW. Apart from things like video support or a notation midi editor, Synth selections etc,
they pretty much all do the same.

Edited by lowdown