Why become a member? ×

Set up suggestions for a basic user....help needed!

Chiliwailer

Gentlemen, thankyou so much for your help tonight. I'll keep hold of this thread and refer back to it when need be, some great advice here.

I just bought the Steinberg from GAK for £99, it came with a free limited time only type upgrade for Cubase 8. I can't see how I'd ever need more than that. EDIT- scrap that, my bad eyes and ipad made me get a tad misled.mit comes with the regular AI.

I'll look forward to checking this out and then exploring further when I'm off work. I think you're right Douglas, take it easy and not over complicate things by tons of extras, great advice.

Cheers fella's, I've gone from 'not a clue' to a new purchase. :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423515050' post='2685858']
I use Reaper, my usb audio interface is a Tascam US-144 (bought s/h from a member here...). My keyboard: M-Audio Keystation Mini 32. I use several drum programmes, but they can become expensive (Toontrack EZDrummer 2, Superior Drums, BFD2, MDrummer, principally, but also occasionally Soundfont drums, which are free...) and several vst virtual instruments/orchestras which, again, can work out expensive (Philharmonik, SampleTank, Edirol, Spectrasonics Trilian and more...).
Start off with the minimum and build up as your needs develop. You're unlikely to end up with exactly the same system as anyone else, but we all chip in with our viewpoints, as there is a lot of commonality in all of this.
I wouldn't get too hung up on interfaces; at the prices we're addressing here, they're all much of a muchness (ie; blooming good..!). If/when one goes further up-market, other criteria become more important, but add nothing that my old cloth ears could appreciate.
[/quote]
[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1423515198' post='2685862']

Sorry, I was editing when you posted.
A link for the Cubase A1 spec above.

Of course Reaper is the full version,
Cubase A1 has limited track count, 32 Audio and 48 Midi, (ample for most)
Has a bunch of soft Synths included, as well as a good selection of FX.
Plus it has the notation midi editor as well as PRV.
Upgrade path to the bigger versions is good as well.
A ton of YouTube tutorial vids out there and a subscription to the Steinberg YouTube tutorial channel is worth while.
[/quote]

Oops, thought I'd multi quoted, see post above!

Thanks again!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1423515873' post='2685877']...
I just bought the Steinberg from GAK for £99...
[/quote]

[color=#ff0000][size=5]Oh no..! Not [i]that [/i]one..! [i]Anything [/i]but [i]that [/i]one..![/size][/color]

No; just kidding..! It's fine. Well done. Now then, get on over to the monthly BC Composition Challenge and put us all to shame..! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423516317' post='2685888']

[color=#ff0000][size=5]Oh no..! Not [i]that [/i]one..! [i]Anything [/i]but [i]that [/i]one..![/size][/color]

No; just kidding..! It's fine. Well done. Now then, get on over to the monthly BC Composition Challenge and put us all to shame..! :lol:
[/quote]

Haha! Cheers for the approval :)

Ok, give me some time to work this out, plus I won't be playing bass or guitar for at least 8 weeks after the surgery. (Just one handed drum and keyboard work for me, Pet Shop Boys anyone?) However when that time is up, I'll be more than happy to repay the forum by embarrassing myself to the masses with a contribution!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1423516572' post='2685891']

Haha! Cheers for the approval :)

Ok, give me some time to work this out, plus I won't be playing bass or guitar for at least 8 weeks after the surgery. (Just one handed drum and keyboard work for me, Pet Shop Boys anyone?) However when that time is up, I'll be more than happy to repay the forum by embarrassing myself to the masses with a contribution!
[/quote]

I'm a Cubase user (since the Atari days.....lol..)so any problems, pop back here and I am
happy to nod you in the right direction.
One thing with Cubase A1, it automatically recognises the UR22 on start up,
so it's easy Peasy to get up and running.
Good luck with it all.

Edited by lowdown