Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird's Attack

halibut

I've got an Epi Thunderbird. The bolt on neck version with the Epiphone pickups.

I'm finding that when playing over the neck pickup the E string lacks attack compared to the other strings. Especially when open or fretted up to about G#. A very lifeless flat tone. If I play over the bridge pickup it sounds far better, but then the other three strings sound really twangy.

Any ideas where best to look for more attack on that string? Any likely issues that could be causing it? I've tried changing the strings but it still sounds lifeless. I should say I'd prefer to improve the E over the neck pickup rather than making the A, D and G less twangy over the bridge pickup as I find that a more comfortable position to play.

Cheers for the ideas.

Yorick, I had raised the pickup slightly. I'll try raising it a little more.

40Hz, I didn't even know about the string twist issue. I'll slacken the string off and see if I can see any twist in it. I'll also be a lot more careful when stringing up in the future.

H.

[quote name='halibut' timestamp='1423666232' post='2687667']
Cheers for the ideas.

Yorick, I had raised the pickup slightly. I'll try raising it a little more.

40Hz, I didn't even know about the string twist issue. I'll slacken the string off and see if I can see any twist in it. I'll also be a lot more careful when stringing up in the future.

H.
[/quote]

I never even knew about it myself until recently, restrung my Flea and the E just sounded absolute pants, lifeless and dull and just weird. Restrung it again, making sure it was straight from the ball end to winding with no twist and it came back to life. Odd.

Edited by 40hz

Just seen this post, ive had exactly the same issue with a squier cabronita with the low output and crap sounding E, to the point of not using it at all and even starting to consider tearing out the fidelitron for something else. Definatly going to try and sort it when I get home today :D

Edited by byrne182

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1423668457' post='2687707']

I never even knew about it myself until recently, restrung my Flea and the E just sounded absolute pants, lifeless and dull and just weird. Restrung it again, making sure it was straight from the ball end to winding with no twist and it came back to life. Odd.
[/quote]

I used to have this issue quite a bit, especially with the through-body stringing on the Stingray.

Best technique I've found is to get the string on and tune to the point where it's wound but still pretty slack, then grip the string over the bridge pickup and push it towards the bridge. The ball-end should come out just enough to allow the string to untwist and straighten itself. Then let go and tune the string to pitch, and you're guaranteed to be twist - free! ☺