Why become a member? ×

2 signals into 1

1976fenderhead

...or ABY? (that's how I'm searching for it, I think I don't get as many results with mixer).

This seems to be exactly what I'm after, but the cheaper and smaller the better. I don't even need the switch!
[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/pedals/fender-micro-aby-black/"]http://intl.fender.c...icro-aby-black/[/url]

Edited by 1976fenderhead

ABY is usually used to send one signal to two outputs, rather than the other way around. If you're using it the other way around you may as well solder two jack leads to one jack. I think you'd probably have some issues trying to level out the two signals, but if both signals are coming from buffered pedals with volume controls on them, you should be OK. It's worth a try

From what you are saying you just want to sum two signal together. This is just like adding left and right to make a mono.

You can do thsi very simply with a couple of resistors as long as the two signals are of similar amplitude. If not then you need to add a level (gain/attentuator) in each path which turns it into a very simple mixer.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1423571163' post='2686388']
From what you are saying you just want to sum two signal together. This is just like adding left and right to make a mono.

You can do thsi very simply with a couple of resistors as long as the two signals are of similar amplitude. If not then you need to add a level (gain/attentuator) in each path which turns it into a very simple mixer.
[/quote]

But wouldn't these pedals do it?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1423571095' post='2686386']
Hmmm but the Fender pedal above and for example the common Morley ABY advertise combining two signals into 1... Not advisable?
[/quote]

It's not that it's not advisable, I'd just guess that the results would be unpredictable, but more importantly uncontrollable. However, if your two signals are coming from pedals with volume controls, you can use these as your mixer controls

EDIT: I used to use one of these for this, using two chains of pedals, each with an "always on" at the end of the chain

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1423571275' post='2686393']
But wouldn't these pedals do it?
[/quote]

Of course they would but you said smaller and cheaper. A passive mixer can be made using 2 resistors, 3 jack plugs and some cable. You don't get cheaper than that, and a minimal footprint.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423571326' post='2686394']
It's not that it's not advisable, I'd just guess that the results would be unpredictable, but more importantly uncontrollable. However, if your two signals are coming from pedals with volume controls, you can use these as your mixer controls

EDIT: I used to use one of these for this, using two chains of pedals, each with an "always on" at the end of the chain

[/quote]

I remembering reading somewhere long ago about this kind of combiner plug weakening the signals somehow, can't remember why... not the case?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423571826' post='2686412']
I think obbm is the guy to answer that. If your two signals are out of phase that would certainly weaken the signal
[/quote]

If there is a phase difference between the two signals then there can either be a reduction in level or in the worst case a total cancellation of the fundamental. All you can do is try it and see what happens. Have to stop now. I'm sure some others will be along soon to advise.

Those adapters can work but since the inputs are not buffered and connected directly to each other, it can sometimes produce strange results depending on the pedals in question. Worth a try though.

By the way, any blender pedal can be used to combine 2 signals - just plug into the input and return, ignoring the send. I'd recommend one of these since not only will you have the possibility of a phase switch, but you can also repurpose it as a standard wet/dry blend at a later date when you next have different ideas and change your pedalboard.

Edited by dannybuoy

If you want to send only one signal at a time then an ABY or an AB is the best option. But if you [i]don't[/i] want to switch between the two signals but instead wish to combine them then you're 'mixing'.

If you're not worried about the unpredictable effects (example turning one signal down turns the other one up) then a Y cable (see below) would do the job and probably cheaper than an ABY pedal which will cause the same problems. As for 'weakening' the signal, that often occurs when you use a y-cable to split [i]one[/i] signal to [i]two[/i] amps rather than combining two signals into one amp.

Or for a mere £14.99 you can get a [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/prosound-4-channel-mono-mixer-my95d"]four in / one out mixer from Maplins[/url] which would probably be a lot easier easier than dicking around onstage trying to balance the signals with the instruments' output level controls.

Edited by skankdelvar

I use a a boss ls2 for this purpose. Y cables, and stereo to mono adaptors are not advisable - often, one signal will completely over power the other.

Use an active mixer, such as the ls2 and you will have absolutely no problems.

For something smaller, Dave Hall makes a micro blender pedal that can be used as a 2 channel mixer
http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page13.html

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I made a small 4 channel mixer (one for bass, two for L+R inputs from iPod, one as a spare) prior to using the DHA VT1-DI EQ, and that did everything I needed it to.
There's a simple 2 channel veroboard layout here:
[url="http://www.tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/2-channel-mixer.html"]http://www.tagboarde...nnel-mixer.html[/url]

You could probably make it for less than £10 all in, it'd be fairly small too.

Edited by paul_5

Palmer Duetto. High quality stuff they do. No signal loss.

thinking about getting one myself. They advertise it as 2 guitars into one amp, but I'm thinking about adding it somewhere in my effect chain. They told me it will work without phase issues. You might get this if you use simple Y cables (along with a crapy signal).

Unfortunately, something this simple, you don't wanna cheap out on. Or your signal will really suffer.

Edited by DanFold