Why become a member? ×

newbie looking for advice

craigskywalker

Hi Craig and welcome.
As someone else who saw the error of his ways and switched from guitar to bass, I can only relate my experiences.
First you need to establish what works for you. I quickly realised that certainly initially I needed 1:1 tuition and found a good teacher. Videos, books etc. didn't work for me, but we are all different. My tutor quickly spotted all the bad habits I brought over from guitar. More importantly I was given "homework" and that made me practice properly. With anything else I could always put off practice until tomorrow and tomorrow never came.
I still have the odd lesson just to check the bad habits haven't returned.
If t'internet works for you, Scott Devine & MarloweDK do great lessons. Book wise, almost anything by Ed Friedland although I used "Funk Fusion Bass" by Jon Liebman is great and starts with the essentials of position of bass, correct fingering etc.
Good luck and sure there will be more suggestions.

Edited by BassBunny

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Craig

Welcome to BC

I've just posted this for somebody else...some help with where to start:

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/major-minor%20scales_zpsy7iacigq.gif.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/major-minor%20scales_zpsy7iacigq.gif[/IMG][/URL]