Why become a member? ×

Gut(ish) strings for EUB...

joescartwright

So i've recently been given a Yamaha Silent Bass by a friend and want to switch the strings over to something of a better quality.

I really love the sound of gut strings on an upright, I know I'm never going to get there with this set up but I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to what might get me going in that direction?

It's mainly the articulate 'snap' at the start of the note and the shorter, less growly sustain that I'd like to aim for.

So far I've been recommended Evah Pirazzi's and Innovation Silver Slaps, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

What a nice friend you have!

I've used Innovation Rockabillys on my Eminence EUB and quite liked them for rootsy stuff as they added a bit of bottom end which is normally missing from EUBs.

For a long time I used Velvet Garbos, which have a nice, gut-a-like feel & response, but as my tastes have changed I now find them a bit 'zingy'.
Another string to consider are Spiro weichs - the low tension really helps to reduce the sustain. The only reason they're not still on my EUB is because I liked them so much that I put them on my carved bass.

One string I really like using is the G and D from Innovation Super Silvers. I find the A and E from this set to be a bit indistinct at concert pitch (but much better at solo pitch) but the G&D just push my buttons. For some reason, if I like the A&E form a certain set, I usually find the G too nasal sounding for my tastes.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I was pretty lucky with the bass!!!

Which gauge of the Velvet Garbos did you use, the standard or the lights? From what I hear they look to be a fantastic pizz string, which is exactly what I'm looking for, the sound clips on the Herve Jeanne bass string matrix sound amazing but wowzer are they expensive!

Anyone know if a UK/EU stockist that's reasonable?